Otocinclus affinis

Discussion in 'Sponsor Requests' started by Faust, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Faust

Faust

Hailing all Sponsors,

I have recently set up a 200L planted tank and experiencing some green spot algae and spots off hairy algae. I am in need of these awesome algae lovers. I will require at least 8 of these little suckers.

They go by the following names:

Midget Suckermouth catfish
    Dwarf otocinclus
    Oto cat

Here is a picture

[​IMG]

I don't mind collecting over weekends in the Gauteng area.

2. Guest

3. Algae Wizard

Algae Wizard

Monkey fountain Linden normally have them

4. Laure

Laure Cyano Terminator

I have some bad news for you. Otos only eat diatom algae or soft green algae, but not once the green algae reached the adult stage. There is only one aquatic creature known to eat green spot algae, and that is the neritina snail. However, I would not advise you keep them as they don't do well in acidic water. They also lay eggs all over the place and these do not hatch in fresh water. For GSA, you need elbow grease! The cause is an imbalance between NO3 and PO4, where the former is in excess. Try more water changes? Larger water changes?

Hairy algae is a mystery to me. Basically caused by slightly elevated levels of NH4. Try increasing your bio-filter.

Actually, now that I think about it, you said "spots of hairy algae". Do you mean BBA? Or soft green hair algae (also often greyish thin strands of less than 1cm)?

5. OP
    Faust

Faust

Hi Laure

Thanks for the information, I have removed majority of the green spot algae, the substrate however has green soft algae that I think the Otos will take care of. The hair algae is a brown/grey, and I have strand ranging from 1 cm to 5 cm dangling from my anubias nana. I usually just rub it off with my fingers.

Regarding the water changes, I try and do 50% weekly change, then redose fertilizers. One thing that might tip the balance in favor of PO4 is the fact that I used indoor potting soil as substrate and keep it down with a 5 cm layer of play sand. The plants find the potting soil fast and spread their roots, so I am taking that as a good sign. Will probably have to start dosing trace elements, especially iron.

As for plant species etc, I will have to sit down and identify them and write up an introduction to my tank, but I don't want to now...

In any case, I look forward to your informative reply!

Algae Wizard,

I will try and locate a contact number to make sure they have them in stock, thanks!

6. Risen

Risen

Try Moonlight Guoramis. mine chomps any Hair like alage

7. Laure

Laure Cyano Terminator

I also keep a few otos and right now I'd probably never buy them again. They are very sensitive to even the slightest change in conditions. I've seen one just die after a water change - never looked sick at all. Of course, all the other fish were fine. I don't want to put you off, but this is my opinion. They are very entertaining fish, so I will keep them for that reason and view the algae eating as a bonus. Also, they are so small, in order to make any impact you'd need 1 every 20l.

At the moment I prefer SAE, ramshorns and, to a lesser degree, apple snails.

You may want to have a look at this thread:

8. OP
    Faust

Faust

Risen:
    I think in my current setup, the flow will be a bit too heavy for gouramis, I am circulating tank about 3x per hour. Even with spray bar pointed downwards, fish seem to get a workout, but rheophilic fish like it.

Laure:
    Strangely your link appears as a solid line, could you perhaps repost or pm the link please. As for SAE, I have definitely considered them, but after some reading they don't seem like the most passive community fish. What probably deters me is the lack of experience in identifying them, I saw a few Flying Foxes this weekend and I almost jumped for joy before reading the name on the tank.

If I can source 3 SAEs I will also be happy. Snail wise I should probably go buy a few golden apple snails, the clown loaches will keep the little ones in check. The malaysian trumpet snails are doing a good job evading the three clown loaches though.

Once again, thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

9. Laure

Laure Cyano Terminator

Sorry about the link. And I also forgot to metion it was in response to your fertilization comments. http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?t=1508

SAE identification: clear fins, black stripe goes right to end of tail fin, only a single pair of barbels. All others than can possibly be confused with true SAE have 2 pairs of barbels.

As for suitability in a community, keep in mind they can get over 10cm. Most sources quote around 14cm as mximum size. They mind their own business in my tank and leave all the other fish alone (clowns, angels, cardinals). Males can fight over territories, and as it is very difficult to sex them, I suggest get 2 and in your tank there should be enough space for them to be OK if it turns out they are both male. They are very good algae eaters when young and eat almost exclusively algae. When older, they will also eat whaever else you feed the rest of the fish.

Regards
    L

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. OP
    Faust

Faust

Thank you very much for the identification of SAE Laure. Was told that they are seasonal and difficult to source at the moment. For now I have continued with the old elbow grease and 50% weekly WC, plants are flourishing at least.

Recent Posts