Ompok

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Reedfish, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Hi All,

I got a trio of these a few weeks ago. The lfs had them labelled as "Glass Catfish" and I have tentatively identified them as Ompok eugeneiatus.
    They are not as see through as standard Glass Cats. They are also a lot more skittish. Hide in dense plants most of the time. Whewreas my group of standard Glass Cats hangs about on the edge of the plants, but still more or less in the open.

The man at the lfs told me a group of 3 is enough. Has anyone kept these? I am thinking of adding another 2 to the group.

Thanks
    Reedfish

GT.jpg

GT.jpg

2. Guest

3. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

The more common Ompok(bimaculatus,as is O.pabda) is BL in RSA,so I think that is the reason why we dont see some of the other species around here at all...

Kept a school of 4 years and years ago and remember them being shy...also small fish tended to dissapear with them around with astonishing speed... Apart from that,can't help you much mate

4. azurekoi

@Reedfish - been looking at your pic again....Doubt it is an Ompok(typically they have 4 barbells - not 2 like yours...) - i think it is rather some Kryptopterus macrocephalus - the "Poor man's Glass Cat" - but not too sure with the not so clear pic...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@azurekoi - I think you are correct. It's not an Ompok as it only has 2 feelers.

Had a quick look on Planet Catfish. Not sure if it's a macrocephalus. The colour isn't quite the same. But I think because of the 2 feelers, it must be a Kryptopterus of sorts.

Appologies for the poor photo. It's the best I could do. They prefer the darker corners of the tank. I will have another go at a better photo on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. azurekoi

K.macrocephalus has quite a large distribution,therefore quite a few colour variances too - I have seen lighter stripy ones to dark yellowish spotted ones... but a better pic will help.... As all Kryptopterus species,they feel safer in bigger schools - get a few more of you can...

7. OP
    Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I will go to the lfs on the weekend if I get a chance. Hopefuly they will have some left. There weren't that many when I got mine.

Recent Posts