"Old, but New"

Discussion in 'New members' started by Shabir, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Shabir

Shabir

Good day guys.

Not really new to TASA however after my almost 5 year long slumber I've managed to be awoken by the kiss of a very beautiful African Cichlid.

To those of you who may remember me from Aquarium Zone and those I'm yet to "meet" here, Hello to all.

I'm sure you guys wondering why I'm taking up your screen just to greet everyone so imma get straight to it.

About 2 years ago I've stopped keeping fish altogether and even relocated out of South Africa to the middle East, and I have to say I've wanted to keep fish here ever since I moved into my apartment and unlucky enough it was just way too hard finding anything due to communication barrier so I just gave up in the first few months. Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago I went to a mall for dinner with some friends (we've been out of lockdown for the last 2 months if not more) in the mall was a pet shop and I happened to park right in front of it and staring at me through the glass was an African cichlid tank and I went berserk. Ended up grabbing dinner and running to the pet shop and bought me 30 juveniles and headed straight home (I know I was first supposed to cycle the tank etc. But I was some 200km away from home, there was no was I was driving back there for the fish, kept my fish in a nice big plastic container for the night with a powered and rain bar (got home at like 1am). That morning at 8am I got up in search of a tank closer to my home and boom I managed to find me a 600x550x350 (small I know but hey, desperation). So I set up my tank with some decor and get the fish added in that evening losing 1 in the container I had them and a few during the cycling process till, I did water changes every day at 25% for the first 3 weeks and I added a plant I found at another store to assist with cycling the tank. My fish thrived and grew double their size and I noticed aggressive behaviour start so I decided to go bigger... So I spent the last 2 weeks in search of a tank that I can call mine and finally I managed to get my tank today.

Today I am proud to say that I am back in the hobby and being this far away, there are so many different challenges faced that I am going to need you guys experience

Looking forward to "hanging out" with you guys. I will add a single pic of what was and what is. And definitely a ton more when I'm done setting up my tank

IMG_20200829_013730.jpg

Angel28, T. Guppy, ZubairKhan and 2 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Nice re-intro ... glad you got a lovely BIG looking tank.

keep us posted on the updates.

Later Ferdie

Shabir likes this.
  4. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Indeed I will do so... So excited

5. A new day

A new day

6. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

7. Anton14msb

Anton14msb

What a great story. Never give up on

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Welcome back @Shabir

Nice intro, thanks for sharing

Its awesome to see old members come back
    They say that this hobby lives in your heart and you always land up coming back

Very nice tank, just keep the updates coming

9. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Thank you @MariaS

I agree the hobby lives in your heart and is passed on to your loved ones. My wife who was against the keeping of fish in our home now spends at least an hour before bed just staring at the tank .

With regards to updates, I'm scared to share my progress as I'm pretty sure someone's going to slam me for breaking all rules of fishkeeping and followed the advice and anticipation by my wife hahaha

10. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

IMG-20200915-WA0004.jpg IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg IMG-20200915-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200915-WA0001.jpg

Just thought I'd update on the progress of my tank ☺️

Ortaega likes this.
  11. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Unfortunately my videos too big to upload

12. Ortaega

Ortaega

Like it!

Looks like a great mix of Peacocks and Mbuna in there. They always have such great coloring.

13. Ortaega

Ortaega

If you want to you can always do an upload to Youtube and then share the link from there?

14. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

I'll do this very soon.. rather at feeding time hehe

15. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Stocked as follows:

8 Auratus
    4 Kenyi
    9 yellow Lab
    8 Red Zebra
    6 yellow tops
    1 Blue Socolofi
    3 Albino socolofi

2 Strawberry peacock
    2 dragon blood
    2 Sunshine (pair)
    And 3 unknown peacocks their colours probably haven't come out yet but they're black with a blue tinge and the other a red tinge and the third a drab grey with yellow on the dorsal fin so I'm guessing female

All my mbuna are just over an inch and peacocks are just over 2inch so they kind of get along fine

16. Ortaega

Ortaega

Nice, just keep an eye on your temps, especially on hot summer days. One day my Tank Temps went up insanely high and the started to rip each other apart. Unfortunately, I only saw the after-effects after I got home from work. Like it, African cichlids are one of my favorites. A great mix of colors you have here.

The best mix I had before I packed al up was 10 x Yellow Labs and then I went and got 10 x Demasoni to go with. Unfortunately did not have this long enough to see how this would've turned out in the long run. Loved the break between the 2 colors.

Liked it most when they started getting around 3-4inches +.

Keep us posted on the growth of this. Always love seeing tanks like yours. I also have been away for quite some time and got back into the hobby much sooner than expected. Keeping myself together to avoid MTS again for now until got a lot sorted back at home.

For now on my own project and looking forward to seeing that tank develop as well as never really did tangs and never mixed tangs and Mbuna yet, but positive that this will work and positive that you find much joy in your tank.

As of late since I started spending more time working on my aquarium again I could pick up I'm a much more relaxed person already. Your tank is also very nice and clear!

O and yeah Breaking the rules is part of it, Over here I see all as positive criticism I have broken major rules and learnt from them, and not all rules broken leads into a catastrophe.

Damn, starting to talk too much again, because of how nice your tank looks. Enjoy it you have one life, live it! Keep us posted on the progress and keep the pictures coming :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  17. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Here's some more picturesIMG_20200915_182647.jpg IMG_20200915_182650.jpg IMG_20200915_182655.jpg

Angel28 and Ortaega like this.
  18. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Haha well for me temps are bad coz tap water comes out at almost 40degrees so I use my spare bathroom and leave the geyser off there so I get it at around 32 so I use an ice bag which drops to about 30 and tank stays at around 27 or 28 coz the AC in the room is almost always on. Well you can't be in the UAE with an AC off lol

I haven't mixed either but I'm sure it will work for you if you keep up your water quality. Mine is a little whitish at the moment because I had to treat some fish and still feeding infused food so hopefully by next water change it gets better .. also o have a 2 in one filter that takes water up to an overhead sump with a rain bar but the intake is just a pipe so I'm going to convert that somehow and hopefully this makes it better.

Haha i understand your excitement. My wife says I can never shut up about my tank

19. Ortaega

Ortaega

Looks Great!

Damn, the temps thereby you are insane!

Hahaha, enjoy it! Sure they will all color up nicely soon as well. Can't wait till they size up some more.

20. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Not quite happy with the scape yet so will update when my new shipment arrives

And the toys in there I disapproved off but my daughter really wanted it. I prefer a natural looking tank..

Saw your thread .. it looks great.. must update as it progresses

21. Ortaega

Ortaega

I always prefer a natural-looking tank were possible, but have come to enjoy any tank as of late and still, yours still have loads of hiding spots for them all as long as the fish are in good condition I do not really care anymore how someones tank is looking.

Will do. Dust seemed to have settled now and realized 2-3 of my frontosa is the red version instead of all being the blue color that originally wanted.

Now just need to do n proper wipe on the inside and then see bow I'm gonna try to get nice pics of these little guys in the tank.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020

Recent Posts