New to planted tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by scotty_88, Sep 26, 2019.

1. scotty_88

scotty_88

Hey folks,

So I have been very interested in going the planted route. I finally bit the bullet and got my self a decent nano tank setup. So far enjoying the planted life!

Equipment
    Fluval nano aquarium-30L
    Aquaclear 20
    Aquael Leddy nano planted led
    50w heater-until things warm up in durbs

Live stock
    6x ember tetras
    8x rcs shrimp

Plants
    S repens
    S repens Port vello
    Mini Java fern
    Water sprite
    Rotala h'ra

I am currently dosing scape complete and scape carbon. I may, be looking to introduce co2, either inject or passive-still yet to decide.

Pretty hopeless when it comes to scaping but happy with what I have done thus far. Will keep this thread posted on future developments.

[​IMG]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Very nice! Sleek looking tank. One of the cool things about a planted tank is to track the growth and changes, keeps things interesting. Looking forward to the updates :thumbup:

4. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Thanks for the kind words. Plants seems to be adjusting as many were emersed. Anyone have a dosing regime for a low tech? I have been dosing everyday as per bottle instructions. Being low tech with slow growth, do you think I need to be dosing daily?

5. A new day

A new day

I don’t have experience with the Scape line, I microdose Seachem products daily but it’s probably not necessary to do it daily. The most demanding plant in your tank is the rotala, I’d call it medium demanding (not highly demanding) and I reckon the Scape Carbon should do the trick. Should you start adding more demanding plants, then perhaps consider injecting CO2, which I don’t do. Go easy on the ferts at first, especially since you don’t have all that many fast growing plants in your tank. It’s about trail and error, figuring out what your tank needs. Sure others will chime in also.

Speaking of the rotala, I’d suggest you keep only the top half of each stem - the bottom parts look very spindly and bare. I know one is eager to get some height, but they’ll grow quickly and healthier from the top half only. Then when they reach about a third to halfway up the tank, start trimming it to ecourage bushier growth and replant the trimmings.

The java fern looks amazing already!

6. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Rotalas are not that easy of a plant. Stronger light and the leaves grow closer to each other. But as soon as the light is not strong enough it stretches and each node will be further and further away. I see even some of mine does it. And I have 4 rotala species including h'ra

7. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Thanks for the further information. Will look at my dosing regime, I feel every second day should be adequate for now.

As for the rotala, I bought it with long stems, had a lot off die off. I must look at cutting the stems and replanting as I'm looking for thicker growth. The Java fern has been doing really well, it's been in the tank for a month and seeing new growth all the time. I may need to look at some stronger lights too-the aquael is only 7 watts which is low light.

I had a bad algae breakout (a thread algae), the shrimp sorted that out in less 24 hours and has vanished. The shrimp are awesone, I never knew I would enjot them this much.

A new day likes this.
  8. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That light looks perfect. What is the lumens on the light? If you know, not all lights show lumens. Your setup look amazing to me. I wouldn't change a thing. :thumbup:

A new day likes this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Well, you have two options here:
    1) get stronger light for the rotala but you’ll also probably get more algae.
    2) get rid of the rotala and stick with low-med light plants, less struggles within algae. I literally have zero algae in my 65L because the light is too low.
    Edit: agree with @TetraJacques
    2nd edit: option 3) keep the light and the rotala (but trim the bottoms as said above):thumbup:

10. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Agreed, if most plants are doing well there's no need to replace the light. R50 odd for a plant is a lot cheaper than a new light. If you unhappy with the rotala, take it out.

11. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Hey Jacques, I'm not to sure on the lumens. I will get a read on the lumens. Thanks man, was just a a thought to maybe go to a higher watt light!

12. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Thanks bud, still early days so will stick it out with current setup and see how if fairs in the long term.
    I just need my repens to carpet, but being low tech I'm in for a long wait- I have Learnt to be patient while it all grows in. Thanks for the sound advice

A new day likes this.
  13. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

The Staurogyne repens will go but like you said you have learnt patience lol:thumbup:
    You say you dosing SCAPE complete and carbon so that helps a ton!! Things will work out perfect for you. I trimmed my Staurogyne repens often to cover the front of my tank. Once cut they explode with growth.
    This doesn't mean you should do it please!!! :tt2: I don't want your plants to melt. I just took the chance. Note I've got pressurised CO2 so don't do what I do please.

14. Saibot

Saibot

Never say you are hopeless, you are not, you are learning. I too thought myself hopeless at one stage but the truth is I just felt overwhelmed by some things. I'm still learning and growing in this hobby and as long as I am having fun doing so then I am winning.
    I think you're winning right now!

T. Guppy, rsa and A new day like this.
  15. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Hey Jacques,

I checked the specs on the light and it appears to be 500 lumens (6w output) with a 8500k spectrum. I did my research before buying and this aquael came highly recommended. My first choice was a fluval nano 3.0 but Amazon or ebay did not cater for shipping outside the US.

16. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Tell me about it. Amazon don't cater for us lol. How many litres of water? That lights sounds perfect. No need to replace it.

17. OP
    scotty_88

scotty_88

Yip, I thinks it's to give local distributors protection. Fluval products are so expensive locally it's a Pitty.
    The tank is 30l. With displacement,probably 25L.

18. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Ok that's 25 lumens per litre of water so it's suitable for medium plants.

19. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Amazon.co.uk sell to South africa. I had to buy some text books from them once. Only issue is they send it to our post office and that takes foreeeeever to get delivered

20. Cale24

Cale24

Yeah, plus the convenience of having 220V in the UK, so electronics work ok here with an adaptor. Ordered a UV sterilizer recently and all went pretty smoothly, at least to CT. Another order from Banggood took less than 3 weeks, ahead of even their own delivery estimation, so will use both again.
    With our dying economy, I expect I'll use Banggood a lot more in future, lol.

T. Guppy likes this.

Recent Posts