New tank advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Taufeeq, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Hi, so my new tank would be here hopefully next week. I wanted to know a few things. I heard that I can cycle my tank very fast if I just use my sponge filters that cycled and my old tanks water or would it be best to wait to weeks for the tank to cycle with new sponge filters?
    I also wanted to know if I can just use sponge filters for my tanks or must I have filter too with carbon etc? Or would a sponge filter be sufficient?
    I'm going to use pool filter sand and wanted plants in my tank so can I plant plants in the pool filter sand or would they die? Do I need substrate for plants ?
    It is going to be a shrimp tank.

Another thing is that I was cleaning one of my sponge filters yesterday , it got carban and other filter things inside. But unfortunately I took it out of my tank to replace the inside of the filter and forgot it and never put it back in my tank. In the morning half my filter was dry. So is my filter still OK to use ?. All the bacteria that it had when I cycled it died or can I just put it in my tank? Might be a silly question but I'm not sure.

2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows

You can use the sponge filters from other tanks to cycle a new tank but you would still need to add fish slowly... Can't add all the fish in one go. Don't use the old water from the old tank though its a waste... Use fresh dechlorinated water rather.

As for a filter with carbon etc it depends on the size of the tank and stocking eg how many shrimp in how many liters

You can grow some types of plants without planted tank substrate for example java fern and java moss. I'll let someone with more knowledge on plants help you more here

The bacteria in that filter is dead now as they haven't had "food" for at least 12 hours. You'll can clean it under the tap replace the carbon if you haven't already and then put it back but it will need to cycle again for 6 weeks

4. Toy

Toy

The bacteria are temperature sensitive and die with exposure to atmosphere.

My bet is that you should treat the exposed filter as if new and recolonize it with bacteria.

The sponge filter is the main bacteria host in the tank, but the gravel, plants and tank itself also host bacteria on their respective surfaces.

It is always better to run a tank for at least a week, even with old filter media, to stabilize the tank water and the bacteria colonies.

There is a few flash methods on you-tube but they are risky and you may end up loosing fish/livestock due to unnecessary stress.

If you have a similar size tank that is already established. you can always hook up the new tank as a sump to speed up the process.

Pool sand is a inert substrate and does not contain any nutrients. Rather invest in a good ADA substrate before you start liquid dosing which will be more costly in the long run.

Take note that not all plants require a fine substrate, first decide on which plants you intend to plant and then research each requirements.

If you do regular water changes, your tank does not need carbon, but remember that carbon not only serves as a chemical filter, it is also a very fine mechanical filter that helps to keep water clear.

5. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

OK. It a 24 liter tank want to breed shrimp so about 20 to 30 shrimp per tank to start with and hopefully breed them.

6. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Ok, thanks a lot

7. Whoknows

Whoknows

You can use a sponge filter there then its a small enough tank just get a decent air pump to drive it. Something like a dophin 9500 as it has flow control

8. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Ok, I'm going to try to make my own filters, hopefully it work out.

Whoknows likes this.
  9. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Can I small sections of Ada substrate in the pool filter sand for some plants ?
    Also is a 24 liter tank OK for breeding shrimp??? To late to ask but just double checking.

10. Toy

Toy

For sure, you can mix and match different substrates to plants as required. Using natural dividers like stone pedals or wood creates the illusion of more space.

11. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Awesome

12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Don't overthink it .. get going but be aware that you should be build a balanced ecology.

The balance part is true even if you are only doing shrimp ... bacteria in a tank is your friend so be sure to create ample space i.e. surface area for them.

Have you considered a DIY HMF ? Very stable over a long time and low low low maintenance.

Later Ferdie

13. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

I never know what a HMF is until now :D. But after research it looks very good for a shrimp tank. But it looks like I needs a pump for water to flow back in and out of sponge. I only got air pump's.:( But I'm going to try to make my own sponge filter with space for some filter media. Hopefully it works out.

14. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Does anyone thing a 24 liter tank, 40 length, 24 by 25 high is got for breeding shrimp ?? About 20-30 shrimp per tank to start hopefully much more in the coming months.:)

15. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

24L is good enough. As f-fish said don't overthink it. Get some epiphyte plants and moss going on rocks or driftwood.

It is possible to use air as a replacement for a pump.

Shrimp love biofilm to graze on so having the tank run some time before introducing them is always a good idea. If you intend to keep neo's there is nothing wrong with pfs but if it is caredinia your planning you will need a substrate that keeps the parameters in check

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

16. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Cool, thanks for all the advice. :)

17. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

You don’t need fancy substrate to grow plants. I’ve grown plants in pool filter sand for almost 8 years with spectacular results. Dosing doesn’t have to cost a fortune...you can use EI - estimative index.

Also, all my shrimp (ghost,crs and cbs) were kept in pfs

18. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Oh OK cool:thumbup:

19. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

This was all grown in pool filter sand, no root tabs....

2014-12-17 21.59.47.jpg
    2015-04-22 07.58.07.jpg
    2016-10-09 21.37.19.jpg

Chandz, MariaS and BradK like this.
  20. OP
    Taufeeq

Taufeeq

Wow wow, awesome tanks.

Hawk likes this.
  21. Cale24

Cale24

Awesome tank - shows lighting and CO2 can do some serious heavy lifting. What light setup do you have? I'm looking for a good LED setup locally for a couple smallish tanks (60cm and 90cm) and there doesn't seem to be much available in CT.
    It's Zetlight or Beamswork EA series (DA series is far better but don't get them here) from what I've found.

Hawk likes this.

Recent Posts