New snail's pace project

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by Whoknows, Jul 27, 2020.

1. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Bought myself a nice piece of driftwood from Aqua Empire to go in this tank.

Also having some fun with some extra lights. Have one 60cm LED tube on here. Sould do with I'm not going to grow plants (which I want to) so I'll have to add more.

IMG-20200810-WA0032~2.jpg IMG-20200810-WA0031.jpg

T. Guppy, ZubairKhan and A new day like this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

So I'm not sure how many will see this post and I know its also a little bit of personal preference but I need some advice.

I'm thinking of removing the second built in filter also and taking the drain for the sump out the side glass on the far right side.
    There's a few advantages here it allows the tank to be set up peninsula style (3 sided) if I wanted to do that later. Also if the glass breaks will drilling I'm not replacing both big sides. There's also disadvantage such as loseing that filter capacity. Larger sump would be required then. Also the drains might be visable but I'm going to try hide them as best as possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

A new day likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day Moderator

Don’t know anything about those things, sorry! But like the idea of a possible peninsula tank very much!

ZubairKhan and Whoknows like this.
  5. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Thank you :thumbup: I like that idea too ;) will see if anyone else chimes in and see from there:thumbup:

A new day likes this.
  6. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I agree with @A new day , also don't know much about stuff like this, so hopefully others will give some good ideas or advice :D

Would having it all on one side not affect the flow though?

Whoknows likes this.
  7. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Will put the sump returns on the opposite side(by my couch) which will create some cross flow. So I'm hoping that won't be an issue:thumbup:

T. Guppy likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

It is very much personal preference as long as you know you will be losing the 2 filter extra capacity so you will have to make it up with a decents size tank and return pump
    You will also need a wavemaker or two
    Obviously taking those filters out gives you more space
    Where you drilling for he overflow?

Whoknows likes this.
  9. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I was thinking at least 100 x 60(W) x 40 (H) for the sump or I might use a normal 4ft tank (120 x 45 x 50). Pump wise I'm thinking of going with the Jebao DCP 6000. I'm using the smaller model on my 4ft community tank and I really like it.
    Might still change this. Feedback from others is always great in deciding these things :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you I didn't think of wavemakers will add that to the list of considerations :thumbup:

More space is another advantage I didn't think of ;)

For the overflow I have two options. If I l leave in that built in filter on the right side then the overflow will be drilled in the middle of the back glass. The bracing lines up perfect to leave enough space for me to put in plumbing etc :thumbup: if I remove that filter then I can put the overflow on the center of that short glass on the right side.

10. JPB

JPB

My two cents: Design your sump to be big enough so that it can cater for any water that will drain out the main tank and pipes/fittings in the event of a power outage / shedding. Bottom line: bigger sump is better (and more water volume is nice to increase stocking options :)).

I designed mine to cater for all the water from the water line down to the bottom bulkhead - overkill but I have a low risk tolerance and didn't like the idea of a plastic overflow box being the only thing protecting my lounge from a flood. I also installed a bulkhead in the sump to cater for future plans for automatic water change and to act in the mean time as an emergency overflow into the crawlspace under the floor (better than the wooden floors).

My personal preference would be to remove the internal filter too. I like the idea of having as little equipment in the main tank as possible - focus should be on the fish/plants/rocks/wood.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Hendrik Bergh and Whoknows like this.
  11. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I have some idea of how much space to leave. The drainage from the tank is 33L so thinking 40-50 of space would be a good start :thumbup:
    More water volume is always good but does that really apply here its alreday massive :lol:

Are you using those hang on the back style overflows? Or is your tank drilled?

You're lucky to have a crawlspace under for auto water changes ;) mine is on soild concrete.

That's a good point you make there. Thank you :thumbup: agree with you the forcus should be on the fish for sure

12. JPB

JPB

haha true! 2.2m! Imagine 1000 rummy nose tetras in there.
    I drilled the tank but use a basic overflow box to cover the bulkheads, not one of those expensive hang on back types.
    upload_2020-8-28_19-7-12.png

Speaking of stocking options - have you disclosed your fishy plans yet?

Whoknows likes this.
  13. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I've thought about that but decided bigger fish would be better:thumbup: Cory from Aquarium Co-Op is doing 1500 in his 800 gallon looks amazing.

Thank you,
    That in the photo would do me perfect if I could just find one:confused:

Stocking options where hinted at on my other thread but I'll put it here too. Going to add some of my current fish for now. Clown loaches and rainbows (reds and boesemani). Then over time shifting towards larger community type fish like severums, geophagus etc and I also really want a flagtail:thumbup:

14. JPB

JPB

Mine is from Perky Pets in Cape Town but it may be cheaper to have a perspex cutting place lazer the pieces and you just glue them together.

Whoknows likes this.
  15. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

2 thoughts (Have not had coffee yet - wait that makes it 3 )
    1) When removing internal filters - always check bracing etc.. I have seen tank that with the filters removed the glass is bordering on failure simply because of less support and bracing not running all the way - especially if thye had extra bracing on the bottom.
    2) You do not have to drill, you could go with an overflow. https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/...using-professor-dirk-bellstedt-designs.12615/

Later Ferdie

Whoknows likes this.
  16. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Thank you :thumbup: I just found your thread so I can look at the photos of it :)
    That would also work true :thumbup:

17. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Hope you've had your coffee now :thumbup:
    So the bracing is complicated there is no bracing on the bottom under where the filters go. It ends next to them on the front and rear. (This is easy enough to fix I can just add some there) the top however is a lot more complicated, the first brace starts right where the fliter ended about 12cm in. So bracing this would then block 30cm on either side from top. Thoughts please?

Will read that other thread now too. Might be easier and cheaper then drilling it thank you :thumbup:

Reedfish likes this.
  18. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@Whoknows, @f-fish has a very good point regarding the bracing if you remove the internal filters
    Im not sure i understand the concern " So bracing this would then block 30cm on either side from top. Thoughts please?

I think we must plan that very overdue visit for next weekend before you do anything
    We have sumps working with different overflows, which you can look at
    Send me a pm

Whoknows, JPB and A new day like this.
  19. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Its deffently something I didn't think of at all. :eek:
    I'll take some photos a little later and post them to explain that part. Think it will be much easier then me trying to type it ;)

Thank you would appricate that :thumbup:
    Will drop you a PM now :cool:

20. OP
    Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

So here's a few photos to explain this. Tagging @f-fish also

This is how it looks at the moment on the side I removed that one filter. I still have it so can put it back if need be.
    IMG-20200831-WA0033~2.jpg

So if I brace it like this then it will be blocking 30cm since there's that existing brace plus the new one on top.
    IMG-20200831-WA0035~2.jpg
    Side by side
    IMG-20200831-WA0036~2.jpg

Then for the bottom I can do this. (Still need to clean out the tank so please igorne all the dirt)
    IMG-20200831-WA0034~2.jpg

Hope this helps better?

21. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Should be good. Trick with these are not gluing onto old silicone .. and doing that without cutting into the good old stuff is hard. Make sure you using good quality silicone on a tank this size, have not been silicone shopping for a while - den braven was always good for me.

Later Ferdie

Whoknows likes this.

Recent Posts