Discussion in 'New members' started by Brendan Dixon, Feb 23, 2019.

1. OP
    Brendan Dixon

Brendan Dixon

Hi All,

Well I finally managed to get my canopy finished and installed a 150W heater. Water has cleared up nicely and possibly this weekend I will go look for some fish.

20190314_192548.jpg

T. Guppy likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Looks very nice. I like the lid design. How long has the tank been running for?

4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looks awesome

You say you adding fish this weekend, have you cycled the tank or what are your plans?

Lowflyer7 likes this.
  5. OP
    Brendan Dixon

Brendan Dixon

Hi @MariaS,

I have been cycling the tank for 7 days now with the filter running. I added anti chlorine medicine and have been adding in the dophin 14 in 1 nitrifying bacteria. So hopefully that should help. Not fully decided yet. But was thinking of maybe putting in a few Danios. Will not put allot in for now and build up slowly.

6. OP
    Brendan Dixon

Brendan Dixon

Hi All,

just an up date on my 3ft tank. On the on 16th I added 6 Zebra Danios and they have been doing well, except the one went missing last week. searched the whole tank and found nothing. I on Friday I added some live plants, and now waiting to see it they grow or die. I added 2 Panda Corys on Saturday then on Sunday I could not find the one. After searching the whole tank. I decided to check the filter and found the Cory stuck to an inlet on the filter, sadly he/she was dead. I then inspected the design of the filter and realized that it has a center hole which basically bypasses the filter media and creates a strong suction with the high flow of the filter. Not being happy I decided to get a new filter today. I ended up with a Resun B-700 powerhead which I added a quick filter attachment with ceramic rings in it.
    20190401_181841.jpg

7. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Looks good. I have found that Panda Cories are quite sensitive to water conditions and should only be added to a well established tank. That being said, they should also be kept in schools of at least 6. I would hold off adding anymore livestock until your tank is finished cycling. ;)

8. OP
    Brendan Dixon

Brendan Dixon

I was planning on only adding the corys later, once the tank has matured but then the LFS suggested I get the corys now. I was planning on 4 but the wife was complaining about the cost so I ended up getting 2.The Remaining Cory seems to be sulking now. Debating whether to get another one, or two or to wait?

9. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

You could add more, but if you do, be sure to pick up some seachen stability and dose as per instructions. But if it was me, rather wait. Pandas are pretty sensitive to water conditions unlike some of their other counterparts.;)

10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

What @Amakawa has said is true however, this tank has been cycling for a while ( not saying its mature) and the cory didn't die from poor water quality it was an accident so if you see the other one is sulking, you should be ok to get him a friend but maybe get a small bottle of Stability just for piece of mind..

Recent Posts