New Member, Filter question

Discussion in 'New members' started by Shane197, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Shane197

Shane197

Hi Everyone! Thank you for letting me join this website.

So I recently got a nice big tank from my uncle, it holds up around about 250l of water, I got some decorations to go with it and I got a BOYU external canister Filter.

I got the tank up and running this week but unfortunately the filter has been giving one problem after the other. I want to get the tank cycling because its just standing with all that water and I dont think this filter will be getting anything done soon.

So I wanted to know if a Internal filter would be able to do the job? We went to a pet shop today and the salesman said a filter should do about 10 times the tank amount per hour. But if thats the case, how is a 800l/h filter I currently have supposed to do a tank of 250l per hour (which is 2500l/h according to him)?

The previous owner of the tank had it running for years and this filter ran fine previously. So why can't I get a internal filter that does 1400l/h? Is it possible or not? Because I wont be able to afford another external filter soon.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated! Thanks!

A new day likes this.
  2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Hi @Shane197 and welcome to TASA :thumbup:

Hope others chime in also but I don’t think it has to be 10x

4. Whoknows

Whoknows

Welcome to TASA

You don't need 10x in freshwater. That's more a marine thing as far as I know.

Anyway for internal filter the aim is around 4 - 6 x tank turn over per hour, its best to aim for 6 x so when the filter gets dirty or from back pressure on the pump you'll still be in range.

So you can use that 1400 lph filter its close enough

A new day likes this.
  5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @Shane197

Welcome to the Forum

Ok.... Lets take one step back...

As a rule filtration is never too much however, remember that there is more to filtration than how many times your filter circulates the water around

You need to decide what type of fish you want to keep, some fish are messier than others.. bigger than others.. and this influences what filtration you need

A filter holds media which will house your bacteria to keep your fish healthy and water parameters stable, the amount of media you need is also influenced by what fish you going to keep and stocking levels
    You can circulate your water 20 times an hour but if there is not enough media to house enough bacteria to cope with the needs of your fish and tank, the 20 times is useless.... do i make sense?

Start off by telling us what are your plans for the tank
    Are you going planted... what fish are you planning on keeping and how many of each...
    Then it becomes easier to advise you on filtration

A new day and Whoknows like this.
  6. OP
    Shane197

Shane197

Thank you guys so much for getting back to me.

If the 1400l/h internal filter will do, that would be really great.

Yes I definitely aim to go planted, it would be really nice to see the plants grow in the tank.

The fish I would really like to see in my tank would be some tetras, an ancistrus, a rainbow shark and maybe a swordtail fish or two.

I do advise that I am still fairly new, but I am doing as much research as I can and I am always open to hear from people who have been doing it for much longer than I have.

Whoknows likes this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

You welcome,
    We were all new to this when we started so no worries, at least you researching and asking questions and thats great
    1400l should be ok for now based on your fish list but post a picture of the filter so we can see how much media it will hold

Your fish lists sounds ok but drop the rainbow shark...
    They get quite big for your tank and other fish you want and they get very nasty
    They chase and nip at the other fish and eventually land up killing them from stress and being bitten or the fins nipped all the time
    If you looking for something colourful and active top swimmers, looks at some Rainbow fish, both the reds and Boesmani have stunning colours and are pracefull

A new day likes this.
  8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

hmmm ...

In a well planted tank (and this is a point of many debates - so keep doing your own research) the total l/h thing is very very difficult to calculate and unnecessary complicated.
    But here is the thing, start with what you have. If it works stick with it. You can get away with doing water polishing in a planted only tank - even if you have some small non-heavy bioload fish it is still possible with an internal filter, batting and some ceramic media.

l/h is not necessarily filtration rate, but could hint to total amount of circulation, my best move over the last few months was adding aeration 24x7 - it does help that we are 1500m above sea level here in GP.

No matter what you do - aim for small changes and stable parameters.

Later Ferdie

9. Whoknows

Whoknows

I agree with Maria rather leave out the rainbow shark they can be aggressive if you want the colours get a red tail black shark believe there's are less aggressive

10. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Red tail shark, red tail black shark are the same thing.
    They get quite big, and get nastier the older they get.
    Some fish should not be made available on the market.
    Pangasius, Pacu, Bala Shark, Black Sharks, etc are not suitable for community tanks.

WRT the filtration, start with what you have got, and upgrade as you can, taking into consideration that the filter must be able to handle the bioload of the tank.
    Ensure that the media carrying capacity is large enough to handle the bioload your fish and tank will produce.
    The nice thing about canister filters is that they have removable baskets that can hold a lot of media.
    In each of my Cascade 1200 canister filters there are 4 baskets. 1 x double sponge at the bottom, 2 x baskets filled with Seachem Matrix, and 1 x basket with filter wool to polish the water.

11. Whoknows

Whoknows

My bad I thought the red tail and the rainbow shark are two different species. one being less aggressive

I agree with that last part, people buy those fish when they small and when it grows bigger then the tank its in they don't know what to do with them

Recent Posts