New member advise needed

Discussion in 'New members' started by Sean_83, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Sean_83

Sean_83

Hi everyone recently back into the hobby, I had a hexagonal tank many years ago I would guetimate somewhere between 120-150L back then there was no dechlorinators or anything I was aware of amazing how all my fish survived. I had a small 2 foot (60l) tank I started about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago with a HOB filter (was used to that from my old tanks) had some dwarf gouramis a few mollies and some guppies, the filter was giving me endless trouble and the job I was working didn't leave me much spare time so I sold the tank last year. then about 2 months ago a my Mom's friend was getting rid of her 350l aquarium so I took that over for our office, I also got a 95l aquarium from her about a month later. Now the bug has bitten haha so I have recently purchased a Juwel Lido 120. the Lido I got off gumtree and the previous owner had already broken it down and returned the fish to the pet shop so effectively I was starting with a new tank. After some research I decided on a South American setup with a pair of Bolivian rams as the show piece. The tank setup is as follows: 2 bags (14kg) of Flourite dark as the subtrate, stock filtration system running the standard media apart from the carbon sponge which I have left out. Stock ballast with a Hi-lite day tube and a Hi-lite nature tube both with the Juwel reflectors fitted. I filled the tank with water on Wed the 23rd of july and added Prime and ran it overnight to check everything was working properly then I started dosing Stability, testing my water every few days with tetra test kits, I was not getting any Ammonia levels so I added a few food pellets, these were not disolving much so I added some flakes I crushed up the highest ammonia I got was .25 no nitrites at all. Day 6 of the cycle I bought some plants (swords and anubias as far as I know) and was told to dose half a cap of Flourish Excel daily and half a cap of Flourish every other day. That day I planted my tank and squeezed the two sponges from my 350l tanks internal filter into my filter. I noticed when I planted that there was a some of the food coming up from the subtrate. I took out about 20l of water to plant and replaced it with fresh Prime treated water. tested the day later and saw .25 ammonia 0 nitrites and 12.5 nitrates and got excited I also squeezed the sponges from the internal of my 95l into the tank. tested on Saturday and saw 0 ammonia 0 nitrite close to the colour for 12.5 nitrate. then I tested the water straight from the tap and got 12.5 :/ Now I understand the nitogen cycle and that the Stability won't add the ammonia to get the cycle going should I keep trying to add some source of ammonia or should I try add 1 or 2 fish and continue treating with stability (my 100ml bottle is finished) the fish I plan on keeping are: a pair of Bolivian rams (will add these last once the bio filter is very mature) 6 Corys (bronze or sterbai if I can find) and then either 8-10 black skirt tetras or 12-15 rummy nose or neon tetras. my ph is 7.5 same as the tap water and I would rather have a constant ph then try mess with it so I am guessing no to the neon/rummy nose.

2. Guest

3. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Might want to break that into parts,kinda hard to read.

4. dash

dash

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you have come back to the hobby. Now let’s talk a bit about this tank. You are on the right track with the prime and stability. Both are fantastic products. You are also correct that the stability will not work if you do not have an ammonia source. So what I would do is add a few platies to the tank. Not too many, may be around 4 or 5? With such a large water volume, I don’t think you will kill the fish. Add a little prime every day after that and stability as recommended on the bottle.

The prime will insure that the fish are not affected by the ammonia but, it will not remove the ammonia. This is what I will do.

5. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Sorry about the long message.. The problem with the platties is I don't really want to keep them in that tank. In my 95l i have the following; 2 gold gouramis, 4 male show guppies, 4 rosey danios, 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 coloured skirts. The tank is a jinlong copy of the jebo and is running a jinlong internal filter rated at 800lph as far as I can find out. Maybe i could get 2 or 3 platties and then put them into my 95l when this tank has cycled?

6. dash

dash

Yes you can.

7. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

My office tank is also a Jinlong i only saw a few pics before i fetched it and i thought it was a juwel trigon 350 :/ it is running an external jinlong and an internal AquaOne, That tank must have been running for ages cos the fish are pretty huge. 1 tinfoil barb, 1 albino tinfoil barb (both 25+cm) 1 bala shark 22+cm, 1 silver dollar 14cm, 5 clown loaches 12- 15cm. When i got the 95l it had the gouramis and a pleco that was already pretty big but I moved him into my 350l

8. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Thanks will go buy some platties and another bottle of Stability and just dose 1 1/2 caps a day till its finished will do a daily ammonia test and do 40-50% wc if it spikes

9. dash

dash

Don't forget the prime or safe

10. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

How much prime should i be adding daily? still have a lot left

11. dash

dash

Not much half the recommended dose.

12. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Ok so its one cap for 200 so for my 120 about a quarter cap

13. dash

dash

Spot on. Even less as the tank cycles

14. dash

dash

You only add the recommended dose when you are doing a water change.

15. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Thanks, yes I am always very careful when doing wc or any dosing that I get as accurate as possible, was using Aquasafe but I love the Seachem stuff

16. dash

dash

Yes agree. I must thank @Altum for introducing me to it. I will never use another product in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Ok popped out quick and bought another bottle of Stability and 3 mixed platys have dosed the start up dose of Stability- 3 caps, the fish are being aclimatised, have also adeed a dose of Prime

18. dash

dash

sounds good. I see you are in durbs. so am I. pm your cell number and we can chat.

19. Caudelia

Caudelia

hi and welcome

20. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

Thanks

21. OP
    Sean_83

Sean_83

My tank so far (see below)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014