New Malawi Tank setup

Discussion in 'KZN Fish Club' started by Richard Dbn, May 12, 2014.

1. Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Hi there Girls and Guys,Ok so I am setting up my Malawi tank and I am going to need some help.Just something basic, I want to put in a fine white substrate, any suggestions what I should use? I have a 4ft tank so I need something reasonably priced and also where to get it from.I will start posting pics as I make progress.

2. Guest

3. Chongkie

Chongkie

PFS, aka pool filter sand. You can get it very cheap at builders, or pool equipment shop. I think 40kgs goes for around 80 bucks or just a bit more.

What malawi cichlids are you planning on getting?

4. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

I have not quite settled on the species yet. I want it to be bright and colourful.

5. HEIHACHI

HEIHACHI

Agree with Chongkie, but if you looking for something finer maybe playsand from Reggies?

6. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Thanks guys pool sand sounds good. Then need to sort out sanding down my canopy and then putting new lights in. I need to prove to my other half why not to get rid of the tank.

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Pool sand or play sand are good. If your water is soft, you could use crushed coral sand. It will help increase the ph and hardness

8. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Thanks for the advice, I want to try get a white effect with the substrate to really show off the colours of the fish. I used volcanic ash before but found the black way too dark.

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The coral sand I used was white.

10. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Where did you get it and do you have any idea how much it costs?

11. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Ok Boys and Girls so there is a twist to the tale. Not surprising when I get the wife and kids involved. My malawi project just got converted to a shark tank, courtesy of my 7 year old daughter who decided a Rainbow Shark, Hi-Fin Pangaseus and a Bala Shark are the way to go. The decision was removed from my control when she went out with her Gran stopped at the LFS and procured her choice of specimens.

So here is where I need help, what other species can I put with these since they are alive and well swimming gleefully around my 4ft tank.

12. dash

dash

Hi mate. The pangaseus shark grows up to be a monster and a bully in my experience.

13. <<Nemo>>

<<Nemo>>

Your tank is way to small for the Bala Sharks and especially the Pangasius Sharks, not sure about the Rainbow Shark..Think the Pangasius will max out over a meter in the wild!

14. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Freak sakes. Ok plan b for that young man. Will the size of the tank not control the growth? Can't get rid of them now the mini government will have a heart attack.

15. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Spoke to the owner of the pet shop.... Typical they act innocent and seem only to want to make money. Pan gaseous grows to 1m or more the other 2 between 30cm and 60 cm. I take this hobby seriously so will have to look at my options down the line.

16. <<Nemo>>

<<Nemo>>

Rather get rid of them now when they are still smallish. You are gonna struggle selling or even giving away 30cm+ fish later! Fish get stunted when you keep them in the an aquarium which is to small for them. Just imagine what would happen if you have to stay in a house with a roof 1m high, same goes for the fish.. Goodluck with explaining things to your family, try and convince them that there are way prettier fish which will be suitable for your tank:)

17. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Told them now. My major issue is that particularly the pan gaseous should not be sold in pet shops. I would suggest this should only be kept in proper aquariums in huge tanks. I could not with a clear conscience return it to the pet shop or sell it to someone else. I doubt that anyone has the proper facillities to accommodate it.

18. <<Nemo>>

<<Nemo>>

Maybe your only option is to build yourself a HUGE tank then and keep the fish happy.. Haha. Just do research before you buy fish next time and don't let the family buy fish for you..

19. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

Fair enough. I can't blame her. She was trying to do something nice for me. Am gonna return them and give the pet shop a piece of my mind. Malawis here we go.

20. Caudelia

Caudelia

See if someone has converted their pool to a pond? Tank size doesn't stunt pangasius , had 4! Bala sharks and rainbow sharks woulda ended up as food!(From personal experience)
    Malawi tank always a winner ,

21. OP
    Richard Dbn

Richard Dbn

I told my daughter I will give her money back to her and then she can choose the Malawi fish. She is furious.

Recent Posts