New Canon EOS 600D

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Zeiphex, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Zeiphex

Zeiphex Axolotl

So, today I bought my first DSLR :D Took me lots of saving up and not really eating in order to save, but I have done it and came home with an EOS 600D today! I'm totally excited, as I have only ever used hybrid and compact models before - none of the advanced controls you get with a DSLR. I feel a bit lost with all of the new terminology and techniques, but I'm confident I'll be able to master it. So yes, just thought I'd share because I'm so excited that I have to.

If anyone would like to see some of my past work, here are some links ~ I've had people tell me that I have a lot of potential in the field, and after outgrowing my FujiFilm Finepix S1500, it was time to move onto something that would allow me to grow more as an artist.
    Incompatible Browser | Facebook
    Photography by Zeiphex on deviantART

2. Guest

3. wsteene

wsteene

Congratulations on your purchase, however I'm a Nikon fan. Hope you enjoy your new camera and one tip of advice, if you want to learn quick, fast and very helpful tips join your local photography club if you haven't done so as yet. Coupel of members will also give you very useful techniques and tips.

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Very nice.
    I am a big Canon fan - have the 500D and various lenses.

5. Singularity

Singularity

6. OP
    Zeiphex

Zeiphex Axolotl

@wsteene - Honestly I can't judge between Nikon and Canon, as I have never used a Nikon. I have used FujiFilm previously, as well as Canon, and I loved the Canon. The EOS 600D was also on a special at DionWired - R7000 for Camera with standard 18-55mm lens, Canon gadget bag (it's well designed and the quality is amazing too), and 16GB SD card.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. firemanmuzz

firemanmuzz

i cant comment on the nikon but i have had a cannon slr eos for years ,the film one mind you ,think im due for an upgrade ,that 600d seems like a great camera cant go wrong with cannon

8. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

I'm a Nikon fan and that's what I use, but I honestly think that Canon and Nikon are as good as each other. @Zeiphex Enjoy your new camera ;)

9. OP
    Zeiphex

Zeiphex Axolotl

@Jenn - I think it's the photography equivalent of the Mac vs PC debate. Lots of forums actually ban "Mac vs PC" topics and I can imagine the Nikon vs Canon debate is probably much the same.

10. Algae Wizard

Algae Wizard

Lol the debate can go on for ever.
    The main thing is that you get locked into the lenses, as they are more expensive than the box.

I have R35 000 worth of Nikon lenses so it makes no sense to change to Canon.
    I debated it before I got my D300s ,and could not justify replacing all the lenses.

11. OP
    Zeiphex

Zeiphex Axolotl

@Algae Wizard - I think it -is- possible to get converters to make other lenses fit, but I'm not sure what one can get and how available they are. I'm looking to hopefully get some so that I can use some of the old Minolta lenses my parents have.

12. TomK

TomK

Singu got me to vote for him, so I will probably listen to him wrt the Canon as well. So, Singu, what is the newest Canon in my price bracket, is there a new model on the horizon? I do not want to buy now only to see it is replaced in a few months. I have waited so long, another wait wont hurt. I realize if I keep on waiting, I will never buy.

13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I guess the Canon vs Nikon debate will go on forever.
    At an amature level there is probably little significant between them.

The important thing is to chose a system that you are comfortable using.

14. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

I don't think there's much difference at a professional level either.

15. wsteene

wsteene

The biggest difference between the two despite the price difference is that you can get a better picture under low light conditions with a Nikon than with a Canon, that is not my own opinion, spoke to a couple of senior photographers and all of them told me the same thing, other than that, no definite difference. Think it is more about personal choice though. Would like the new Nikon D800:nuts:, awesome camera!!!!!!!

16. TomK

TomK

Great site, I joined. Do you know if Canon SA has the Canon Loyalty Program (CLP) on refurbished units or if we can buy from the USA store?

17. Singularity

Singularity

dont think canin sa has a loyalty program, not that i am aware if anyway... Orms.co.za will have the best ptices most of the time.

I buy from the local camera shop, a bit more expensive, but i get to play with display lenses and other things for a week or two at home before they order one for you, which is nice. Is there a good camera shop in klerksdorp ? If yes, go there and hold a canon and nikon and see which you prefer, i like canon ergonomics.

18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I have heard that the Nikon is able to take photos at very low light levels.
    But the problem with that is that there will be more "noise".

I have read on various speciality camera Forums that both Canon and Nikon are developing cameras that will be able to take photos at very high ISO.

19. Singularity

Singularity

Well that is kinda what they are all working towards, each new camera has better noise/high iso performance.... Like my 450D was very noisy at iso 1600 but i find 3200 usable with the 7d (basically same sensor as 550D and 600D) with some noise reduction etc and if you are not planning on printing large. In a couple of years ISO 250 000 will be acceptable.

20. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Late to the party but here goes .. I needed to get smaller camera that has OK features. First looked at another lens for my aging 450D but decided that a point and shoot was a good idea. Do not get me wrong - I love my 450D with the macro lens and low f-stop. The Olympus uTough is nice for under water tank shots and outdoor stuff esp snow. I do not want to take my DSLR on a hike but needed something more for backpacking .. so I invested in a FujiFilm X10 ... oh boy I am loving this little beast. It has some issues that will be solved by a censor replacement in the future but other than that it rocks .... esp at low light.

21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Why don't you get a newer Canon?
    I hear that they are about to release the 650D.

Recent Posts