Need help fast please

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Martin1971, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Martin1971

Martin1971

Hi People. I'm a huge beginner and started a Malawi Cichlid tank 3 days ago. I bought at a local petshop near me. Started to read up about the fish I bought. Only now realizing I'm in deep waters with these fish. I really want to start off good. I bought 6 fish. 2x yellow with black in the top fin, 2x blue with black stripes and 2x with brownish marks all over them. They are currently in a 1.5 feet tank, 'bout 20L tank. I want to get a 4 feet tank with a canister filter. Any other advise will be great. Sorry, I know I'm a beginner and should post in beginner section, but I thought this is a species tank and need some advice in that catagory.

2. Guest

3. Jwh

Jwh

Welcome to TASA, you find plenty of advice on this site
    You first need to cycle your tank, if this has not been done, you can use the search facility on this site, or Google "cycling a fish tank", and you'll get plenty of advice. Do research on whatever you think you want to do before you do anything else, or buy any more stuff. if your fish shop sold you the tank and fish without telling you about cycling your tank, what type of fish you bought and the basic conditions and care of these fish, you need to look for advise elsewhere.

4. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Thanks Jwh. Will do. I just bought the fish because they looked beautiful. I'm bit peedoff because I feel the owner of the shop should have rovided me with some info about these fish, since I told him I'm a beginner. He should have advised me to start off with other fish then later move on to these fish. But seeing that I have them, I want make this a sucess story :)

5. DS DG

DS DG

Welcome ! First off, don't worry about the pet store ,they just want the sale but your situation is not dire. As @Jwh said, cycle your tank, or if you want to speed up the process you can purchase many chemicals to do so - can't remember the names of them off hand but they're also subject to availability.

Once your short term problem is sorted ,some long term tips.

Don't get plants... They'll just end up being snacks. Secondly ,stick to a species tank. Malawi's don't offen play well with others (unless they're bigger and don't have long fins such as other cichlids . Malawi's also enjoy hard water so adding some rocks as your hardscape will help (I THINK sand stone would do the job but would advise further research)

Otherwise enjoy them, they're very active ,hardy and beautiful fish ... Kinda like a streamline goldfish with a brain =D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Thank you Ds Dg. Yes, I plan no plants, just rocks and big gravel for bottom. The fish are still small, about 3cm max. Are their adult size 100mm? How long do I have before I need to get them in the big tank?

7. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Forgot to add, I feed them very little at a time. And about 3 times daily. I only have the normal tropical fish flacks at the moment. Is it enough?

8. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

20150809_140353.jpg

The plastic plant I removed.

20150809_140353.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  9. Ortaega

Ortaega

Hi and Welcome to TASA,

Must say tank looks nice, but the fish will not do good in it in the long run. I have a 1.2m tank 240L water bought my malawi`s at about 2 - 3cm each and they are currently now about 6 - 8 cm.

Due to the size of your tank they might grow at a slower pace, but this will put allot of stress on the fish.

With regards to the flakes, just check that the ingredients of these flakes contains vegetables/spirulina and it should do fine for now.

10. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Thank you Ortaega. I plan on getting a 1.2m tank maybe this week still. I'll check out the feeding. Can you ID my fish in the photo? I get the pictures in Google, but don't know the exact Cichlid species and how big they grow.

11. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Okay, I managed to get some idea of these fish, seems that the ones with the brown spots are going to be problem. Seems they grow to 10"!!! The yellow/orange one gets to 6" and the blue/black stripped one 5".
    Okay, I'll take it slow on the forums now on. Sorry, get a bit excited and nervous at the same time :bigsmile:

12. tanked72

tanked72

welcome to tasa

13. Jwh

Jwh

Get some Seachem Stability to get the cycle going. Don't get stressed , you'll be fine, you've learnt three important lessons, advice from lots of pet shops sucks, you need to research before you do, TASA is the place to come to. These are probably the most important lessons you've learnt.

14. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Thank you :)

15. Ortaega

Ortaega

Still learning everyday as I go myself, will double-check some links and check if I cant give you the correct names, else I trust someone from forum would be more than glad to give there input.

They grow at an alarming rate, It still feels just like yesterday that I got these little buggers. These fish got an interesting and quite unique personality. They can get quite aggressive and If they do not like your tank the way it is they just rescape it as they please :tongue:

Below my thread/Journey regards to mbuna tank:
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/s...Tank-Canister-Sump/page19&p=316286#post316286
    @dash & @Broder & @Ebrahim & @Chongkie could maybe also guide you.

Can't even recall all the names of the good people on the server at already assisted me to date to make the right decisions with regards to my tank.

16. Broder

Broder

Good advice from @Ortaega there. I agree with you. Go for a 1,2m tank, nothing smaller, or you'll just need to upgrade again in 2-3 months. Maybe get a suitable canister filter as well. You have enough time with your small tank to hunt for a good deal on the classifieds here or Gumtree etc.

17. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Just feedback quickly. I got a 4 feet tank and Canister C1000 external filter, with a 300W heater. Will post some pics when I'm up and running. Just going to take a few days setting up and moving furniture :) Very excited!!!!

18. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

Thank you for all the help thus far!!!

19. RoGe

RoGe

Fantastic dude, this is awesome!

20. Ortaega

Ortaega

Nice Nice!!!

Cannot wait to see the setup :bigsmile:

21. OP
    Martin1971

Martin1971

20150816_093800.jpg

Just waiting for the tank to stablise. Very basic now. Will add more rocks later.

20150816_093800.jpg

Recent Posts