Native Freshwater Invertebrates

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by The Ichthyologist, Dec 9, 2019.

1. The Ichthyologist

The Ichthyologist

Hi All,

I am looking for freshwater invertebrates but I am not having much luck sourcing any. Specifically, they need to be native to South Africa, and usable as a food source for freshwater fishes around 50mm. Something similar to bring shrimp or fairy shrimp. Any kind of local invertebrates, arthropods, copepods etc.

Does anyone know what is available locally and commercially? I am based in Grahamstown, and I know there isn't anything available in EL. If there's anything in PE I would be willing to take a drive there. Any suggestions of petshops in PE that might be able to help? I only know of Ultimate Aquatics.
    I can alternatively ship from anywhere in the country, I suppose, if anyone knows of anywhere else? I know I can get a fairy shrimp kit from takealot (although they are not native, I don't think).

Otherwise I can catch them wild, but I don't really know where to get from, or what permits may be required. This needs to be something that our local fishes would naturally prey upon (it's for research purposes).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Guest

3. Figeth

Figeth

Look up scholarly articles on freshwater invertebrate distribution in south africa, and chat to cape nature/sanparks about permits. Also maybe chat to professors in freshwater ecology (Prof Jenny Day is the only one I remember offhand).

4. Doug Reeve

Doug Reeve

I once caught plenty of them on the Vaal river near Oakney we just lifted clumps of water hyacinths into a bucket and they fell out the roots. No shure what species they were adults were around 25 mm and clear we used them as bait for yellow fish worked well lol but they have almost no colour don’t think they would make good aquarium shrimp

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Try freshwater life by Griffiths, Day and Picker. Got a good overview of what's available there. What do you want to feed? For what research? Just curious :)

Recent Posts