Nano tank advise (please help with setup)

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Carp king, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Carp king

Carp king

Hi all

Im new to the whole nano tank world. I would like a few pointers on what to get?

I currently have a 1ft and a 1.5ft tank that is just standing around and i would like to use it i have a 50w heater and a small power head and airrator. what else do i need in terms of substrate lighting etc. I would also love to grow some plants in my tank but i have no clue. ive always used silk plants for my tanks before. i contemplating keeping plaaties guppys and neons in the tank.

Please any advise would be awsome.

2. Guest

3. cheekychops

cheekychops themasterofSAURON

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. OP
    Carp king

Carp king

What filter did you use? implanning on using a resun 200l/h foam filter for my tank which should do the trick and i have a small sonic air pump.

5. cheekychops

cheekychops themasterofSAURON

i got my nano with a diy modification sump filter on the back. (the compartments on the back of the tank)

6. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

Hi @Carp king,

Well I'd say you need to get a descent filter for starters. Maybe a HOB filter, or a small canister. For the lighting you can perhaps look at a phillips tornado light bulb 15W or 20W with a fitting or get a flex light to put over. (Desk lamps) won't be too expensive. Or get the conventional light from the lfs.

For the plants you need to decide what will be kept in the tank (Low, Medium or High Tec plants). This will also affect the lighting for the tank. For substrate you can get either Seachem Fluorite or ADA Aquasoil if you want the medium tec or high tec planted tank. You can also look at doing the pfp and pfs method (Pool filter sand) to save money.

If you decide on low tec setup pfs or gravel will be sufficient with root tabs to feed the plant roots. Just remember that plants need light and fertilizers to grow. So you'll have to at some stage look into some or other fertilizers for your plants.

That size tank will not be sufficient for Sword plants (Echinodorus) they get too big. Have a look at this thread. This is the list of plants that are easy growing for low tec setups. http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?3921-Plant-database-for-easy-growers

If you decide on Medium or high tec setup look at this thread for plant guide. http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?3986-Plant-database-for-medium-difficult-growers

Planted tanks are alot of fun. Very challenging but very rewarding.

I have attached @Zoom (Ashley's) article so you can read through it. Thia article should help you decide on what plants you would want.
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?9373-Zooms-Article-4-Fertilizers-Substrates-and-CO2

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts