My wall tank...to be

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by LanceP, Aug 21, 2009.

1. LanceP

LanceP

Hi all

I'm going to embark on a huge project hopefully within the next year. I'm going to start renovations at my house, and have asked the architect very nicely to find or make space for a huge tank.:bigsmile:

He recommended that I place it in the wall between our dining and TV/family room, so you can see it from both rooms. Since we spoke about it, I've had the vision in my mind, and I think that it's going to look awesome.

I'm not yet sure how big it will be but I'm thinking around 2 - 2.5 meters long, and 0.8 - 1m wide. Also not sure about height, maybe 80cm? It will probably stand +-1.2m off the ground.

One thing we're not sure about yet, is if we'll take down the entire wall and make a counter for the tank or to make a space in the wall to accomodate the tank. If we make a "space", how much space above (lighting/hood/maintenance) the tank and on the sides (pipes) should we make?

Also, as far as big tanks are concerned, does one typically make the tank themselves or are there people out there who custom fit for you? I've made a small tank before, but nothing close to this size. Are there any recommended or standard dimensions with this size of tank?

Some advise would be appreciated. The architect is coming to see me tomorrow, so would like to give him a bit of understanding.

2. Guest

3. Donny

Donny

Dam this is insane and will look dam awesome.... I would Personally leave about 30 cm on each side of the tank for pipes etc.... the base I would need to be either a metal stand with lots of supports therefore giving you room for a sump tank ... above the tank I would have a clear opening to the ceiling which you could close with a false cabinet... if you search the net you will find other tanks this big which will give you a clear indication what you will need with regards to filtration and lighting.

4. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

i think a counter would actually be a good idea, not sure what my reasoning is though, as for space at the top, if its 1.2m off the ground, and 0.8 high, that leaves 1 m on normal 3m high roofing, why not have a er... Balk? ummmm, wooden plank thing... whatever, placed at the top, (ceiling height) and have a light structure hanging from the top, sortof like what you find over some pool tables, then you dont have a closed top canopy, but only the side facades in the same wood as the --balk-- on top

Lol, a quick n00bly vert mockup

Untitled.jpg

5. Donny

Donny

6. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

come to think of it,,, there could be a cabinet below to hide a sump for filtration of the monster tank......

7. Donny

Donny

Since the house is still in Design i would have a drain next to the Sump tank for water changes and a tap there as well for refilling tank.As well as about 5 to 6 plugs running off there own circuit breaker on the main board.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  8. neilh

neilh

Look on reefcentral, plenty of big tanks on there.

Or on SARK, one of the guys in the Cape is building a monster in his house. Biggest problem for him has been acrylic or glass

9. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Lance... send me a PM with your email... I'll send you some tips. I built a house in Saddlbreook (Midrand) with exactly the same set up you want. I'll send you an email back with regards to ideas. I might even have some photos

10. Donny

Donny

Zoom pls post the pics if you can ...

11. OP
    LanceP

LanceP

Thanks for the great response guys...really appreciate it. I plan on using my current 3foot tank as a sump(if it's big enough, might have a canister if not) , so there will be some space under the "counter".

@FerryM nice pic and good idea.

I like the idea of an open top, but there would be much evaporation, no?

@Donny, good idea about the drain and tap, but I think that might be hectic since the tank will be in the middle of the house. We'd have to excavate the floor to accomodate the pipes etc. But I'll chat to the architect about that, maybe it's not as bad as I think.

The power point is a great idea. I can have it built inside the sump cabinet. I'll ask if the cabinet can be insulated as well, so that heat is retained, so less power usage. Will have to build in some control measure so the moisture doesn't get into the power socket though.

@Zoom, will send you a pm soon!

Getting really excited now:bigsmile:...but it's gonna be a long road ahead! :mad:

12. Donny

Donny

Hi Lance.. the reason for suggesting taps and drainage is just thinking of the hassle of hose pipes everytime you want to do a water change ... :) ... but best of luck ... this will be awesome tank ..

13. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

for evaporation, you get glass sliders built on top of the tank

14. OP
    LanceP

LanceP

Totally agree Donny, makes total sense. Just need to see how much that'll cost :p

15. Donny

Donny

Another thing could be if the canopy was gonna go up to the roof you could put extractor fans in like in baths rooms ...

16. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

wont that make it noisy?

17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Lance make sure that the architect knows what he is doing and that the structure can carry your dream tank.

2.5x1x.8m > 2.4 T (2000 liters + 400 kg glass) + sump. so lets say it is just short of 3T. Meaning you are going to need to be able to support > 1T/m2 on the floor / structure.

.8m high is going to be very hard to work in - might need to add a way to climb into the tank to do maintenance :bigsmile:

18. Slojo

Slojo

Agreed ,mine is 0.8 high and i need to stand on a chair and still cannot reach the far side.

19. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

ladder guys... use a ladder.

20. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

no, zoom, you misunderstand, if the sides are that high, you stick your arm in and you can reach the gravel halfway, glas under the pit of the arm, you cant reach further

But, in slojo's case, its a problem, as he cant stand at the back of the tank to reach the other side, whereas lance will have the tank as a divider between two rooms, so he'll be able to reach both sides "with the right equipment" (ladder, long pinchers, long scissors etc) just by going to the other room... just make the canopy accessible from both sides

21. veegal

veegal

This is where planting pincers are your friend - I'm short so I have this problem in quite a few of our tanks.

Recent Posts