My first completed aquarium

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by JesseG, Mar 1, 2010.

1. JesseG

JesseG

Please do comment if you have the time, i'm always willing to listen to criticism...thanks guys

27022010(007).jpg

27022010(008).jpg

2. Guest

3. Vis

Vis Gerhard

I really like it. Simple with style. Will however ask what sure is to follow, are the top rocks fastened to the bottom ones? What are you going to keep in the tank?

4. KiazerG

KiazerG Sailfin Molly

Very very nice... how about some specs on the tank, filtration etc? what species of fish you looking at adding?

must say I like your wooden canopy, any tips on making one of those or where to get one would be appreciated.

5. Khalid

Khalid Loricariidae

very nice .
    Fish will love it!
    What's the specs?
    Is the wood waterproofed? (on the lid and the table)

6. OP
    JesseG

JesseG

Hi Vis,

Thanks for the comments, the top rocks are placed on the bottom ones, it won't move as my fish are still small at the moment, as they get older, i will re-arrange, at the moment, my current live stock is:

2x red tailed tinfoil barbs
    4x bala sharks
    1x golden decan
    1x pleco

Thanks alot for the warm words guys, much appreciated, let see if i can answer all your questions in one reply:

Yes, the wooden canopy is water proofed, we water proofed it this weekend, we used danish oil on the wood, the lid was made for me by my brother in law, the tank is 1,5m in length, 500 in height and 300 wide, i'm using a RS2000 filter, 800l/h, i've got one aquarium flourescant bulb at 30watts, looking on adding another, i've got a 200W heater for now but will replace...once again, thanks guys

7. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Hey JesseG.

Tank looks good there dude.

The only reason the guys are asking about the rocks is because even if the fish are small, because the rocks are in water, they are a little lighter. If they do happen to dislodge, they tend to slide into the glass, and that is a DISASTER waiting to happen.

Once you have settled on the scaping of the tank, I would seriously consider siliconing the rocks together just to prevent that.

I would also suggest a minimum of 1, and possibly 2 more lights, and increase the number of plants.

Also love the canopy. Looks very good.

8. OP
    JesseG

JesseG

hi zoom,

thanks for the input, just to be sure, are you suggesting that i have 2 - 3 lights in total? to be honest, i was thinking of adding in more plants but i don't want it to be clustered, it will lose the depth it has at the moment, i doubt that the rocks will slide, but i will double check this afternoon...thanks again zoom

9. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Actually, you should get as much light in there that your budget will allow.. but for that tank for the basic plants to grow I would go for a min of 2-3 lights.

10. Shakes

Shakes

Tank looks great. But I agree with siliconing the top rocks. 225 litres of water on a floor is a big mess. When my 800 litre burst my wife was not impressed. But again an awsome tank.

11. OP
    JesseG

JesseG

holy crap Shakes, 800litres of water everywhere, must have been hectic, did you manage to save your fish? how did it burst though?

12. Shakes

Shakes

Hi JesseG

I bought the tank second hand from a friend. One night we had power cuts and around 22h30 at night there was a power serge and i think when that happened my large piece of drift wood shifted(not placed securely in the tank,my fault) against the back glass panel and the silicone pulled away from the bottom of the tank. Removed all the rocks and drift wood quickly and when the tank got to about quarter full I caught all the fish all put them into one of my other tanks.

I promise you that there is not enough towels or bedding in you house to pick up so much water. I also got to see what a shocking job the tilers did on my floors because they were not level.It was hectic and will not wish that apon my worst enermy.

But I got a guy (Scotty) who makes up fish tanks to help me repair it properly. But all good now.

13. Donny

Donny

Tank looks awesome i would remove the rocks let then dry in the sun then glue them with some silicone and then put then back rather safe than sorry.

Otherwise tanks looks awesome.

14. Gareth

Gareth Angel Freak

Tank looks Good

15. shakester

shakester

is that a bullnose/round on one edge jebo

16. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

Well done, very decent looking tank you got going there

17. Linxie

Linxie

I like all your caves ^^, are you going to add any moss? Think it would look lovely with moss here 'n there, but otherwise I like your layout and can't wait to see it in a few weeks :)

18. OP
    JesseG

JesseG

Hi Shakester,

"is that a bullnose/round on one edge jebo", i have no idea what you are talking about here, please explain shakester

Hey Linxie,

My original idea was to cover the tank floor with moss, so it looks like grass and then have colourful plants but colourful plants are hard to come by in durbz...i was pondering on an under water tree but the price on those beauties drove me away from the idea, although it would've looked sweet!!!

19. Vis

Vis Gerhard

I f you are looking to cover the bottom with moss, try getting flame moss. I will be doing mine that way, getting the moss this week.

You can always try and build you own Tree with a piece of driftwood and some moss.

20. OP
    JesseG

JesseG

thanks for the tips Vis, much appreciated...flame moss you say, will have to visit the LPS stores in durbz...

21. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Its the only moss that might give that grass effect, or spiky moss.
    Might be a little hard to find in stores.

Ordered some from the Prof.

Recent Posts