My 4ft Wonder

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by feathers, Feb 28, 2009.

1. feathers

feathers

Bought a 4 ft quite some time ago and was just not sure what I want in it, Malawi was an option on one stage but the tank has just got so much potential to just have rocks. Since I’ve turned it into a planted setup. It is currently housing my Angels and some tetras. Well any suggestions welcome here is some photos of the tank about a week after it was set up, since then the plants started spreading nicely and covered a lot more space.

Well her goes with some photos of the tank and my babies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will place some updated photos later. One last of my favorite angel.
    [​IMG]

2. Guest

3. solex69

solex69

Nicely scaped feathers. How about putting more plants in there, or are you rather wanting the current plants to fill up the tank? Perhaps I can suggest you get one red-type plant to break the colour of the tank nicely? Maybe a Nymphaea Zenkeri or even better (if you can find it), a Barclaya Longifolia.

Cheers
    D

4. OP
    feathers

feathers

Hi Dale
    Thanks, I’ve planted quite a bit of smaller cuttings in the tank so they are starting to fill out now and in the left corner I actually planted quite a few Barclaya and Altenanthera at the back and rounded it off with a bright green unknown wonder. (Will place a photo so you guys can help me identify.) The Barclaya were still very small in those photos but promise to place updates soon as the tank is starting to really take shape now. Got quite a few planted setups now so every now and then I just do a major trim and place plants were it looks to empty. Thanks for the input. Still want to send you a photo of my latest Betta as it is the first time I’ve seen this variety, it has got a heart shape tale. He is still very small at present but he is displaying beautiful color, will try and get a photo of him tonight.

Just noticed if you look at the second photo the little bright green one is on the far left, will see if I maybe have a better photo.

5. OP
    feathers

feathers

Hi there here's the two plants that I really need some id for pease.
    [​IMG]

6. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

looks like Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

7. Philfarm

Philfarm

I would put it more along the lines of Ceratopteris Cornuta...

8. OP
    feathers

feathers

Thanks Henk, could very well be looks very similar. New plants form on every leave of the mother plant. Is there anyone that could possibly give me an id on the smaller one in front of it?

9. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

could be Phil.... not sure....

10. OP
    feathers

feathers

My guess on the first one was Ceratopteris thalictroides (Indian Fern) but the two looks very similar.

Thanks eskimo will look into that one as well ;)

11. Philfarm

Philfarm

:amazed:Are you sure Its Barclaya if so where did you get it thats an amazing find!!
    can you post some closeups of it please..

12. OP
    feathers

feathers

A friend of mine brought some plants in last year and it was a thank you for unpacking:bigsmile:. Will try and get some close ups over the weekend as it will be pruning time for the rest of the tank.

Just looked at it and th way it forms young plant I think you may have it spot on Eskimo:bigsmile:

13. Philfarm

Philfarm

Is your Barclaya still on the bulb? and do you know where this friend of yours got it from?

oh and the trick with telling Ceratopteris Cornuta and H. Difformis apart is that the difformis has a stem whereas the cornuta forms leaves from base of the plant, it is also a floating plant but once it gets bigger it settles on the substrate and forms little plants off the larger leaves..

14. OP
    feathers

feathers

It was when the tank was set up , I see quite a lot of new growth around the plant but will only be sure ones it actually gets a bit bigger. As for where he got it I’m really not sure as he use to bring in stuff on a regular base when he was still in the hobby.
    Thank you so much for the feedback on the Ceratopteris Cornuta and H. Difformis it helps a lot as I still have a 3 ft of plants that I’m busy placing throughout my tanks and it is all tangled so I sit with my plant guides and try identifying most.

15. Philfarm

Philfarm

well place pics and we'll help out as much as we can:bigsmile:

16. OP
    feathers

feathers

Thank's ;)

17. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

Well tehre we go - a positive id :D

Recent Posts