Mollies and temper to words others

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Lee, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Lee

Lee

I recently got 4 mollies to add to my tank. Now ever since I see them go after corys and I have a theory that there kill the when I first got the I had 12+ cory and in a week I have 3 left. It not like there weren't feed they eat twice a day with flakes and bottom feeder Pellets.

2. Guest

3. Mister MP

Mister MP

Hello @Lee. I have a few mollies in my tank. They also tend to get a bit nippy at fish. I have noticed that with my pleco I had in the molly tank that I also had, the pleco had sore spots on him. So I sat for about an hour and watched the mollies in the tank and they actually nipped at the pleco. My balloon mollies never do that. I know from my experience that balloon mollies are usually calm. Normal mollies tend to get aggressive towards still fish. People and the web may say they are not aggressive but they do nip at fish.
    How big is you tank?
    Is Water parameters fine?
    What type of mollies do you have?
    What food do you feed them?

Remember. Do not overfeed fish!
    I feed my fish once a day in the morning.

If you have any question regarding to mollies PM(inbox) me.
    I bred mollies for 3 years and know how they are. Mollies thrive better in a tank with only mollies or a mix of livebears.

4. krg007

krg007

What wad your male female ratio?
    1 male to 3 females is best. The male will chase the females around and they will not have time for anything else, except eat that is. Had 12 mollies with my angels and cories with no problems.

5. Ammar

Ammar

Im not a fan of mollies, i had 5 and created chaos in my tank 2 males 3 females. Maybe ratio was not perfect but they nipped my other fish and plants. Needless to saybtheybwere donated very quickly.

6. Mister MP

Mister MP

@Ammar I agree. Mollies can get nippy at some fish and plants. They ate almost all of my plants. I only have now 3 mollies left. 1 male and 2 females. They are balloon mollies. I have noticed they are a more calmer molly breed

7. OP
    Lee

Lee

Okay so it not just me, I thought there were peaceful fish and readed nothing on them mentioned nipping on so may different sites, I have 1 male and 3 female there the normal mollies 2 black ones and 2 white ones. My tank not sure about the size but I known
    it holds about 80lt it's a custom-made tank my cousin had made years ago. I still would like a normal 3 or 4ft eventually. I do water testing once or twice a week all test come back great, currently I'm do 10% water change once as well for food I feed both the crisp for bottom feeder and high grade tropical flakes. I feed them also once but at night, and my plants as we'll but I do skip one day feeding for my dwarf
    gourmari (so far the dwarf gourmari are more peaceful than the mollies) I also have a
    bristlenose
    they do seem to pay attention to it what so ever. I wish I known the balloon Molly where the calmer one would save my poor
    cory in the long run. And they where the ones i was original look at when I when to pick them up.

8. Mister MP

Mister MP

Hi @Lee. It seems like you have the normal mollies. Sonetimes the mollies can get to big. I had 5 black mollies that were about +-12cm and they were very aggressive to my other fish. Remember to feed once a day and high quality protein food such as Tertra Prima or Tertra Pro Energy.... The protein content should be at least 40% . Remember to also keep the right ratio of males and females. Keep atleast 1 male per 2-3 females. The females also tendbto be a bit more aggressive when they are near labour.
    When a female molly is in labour, she will tend to hide and breath very fast. You will notice when she is in labour they tend to case away other fish and also nip at some fish that comes close to her spot. This indicates that she is going to give birth.
    Keep testing your water at least once a week at a LFS. Their tests are 98% of the time right.
    Try feeding high protein food for at least 2 weeks and see what they are doing.
    Hope this extra info helps.:thumbup:

9. OP
    Lee

Lee

Okay thanks I definitely do that and look for the foods you mentioned. Currently there still on the small side there about 5cm head to tail. I see if the protein amounts help if not last resort get them there own tank with just then.

10. Mister MP

Mister MP

@Lee I would put them in their own tank if I were you. Rather play safe than sorry, if you know what I mean by that... Try the food, you will see a difference in colour and body mass and aswell body length.
    Remember you get 2 types of Tertra Prima- normal big granuals and then mini granuals. I use the mini granuals on all of my tropical fish. It works the best.
    Good luck

11. Cale24

Cale24

I have a single male and female Swordtail in my tank. Being a sort of cousin to Mollies, I also read that they're peaceful. The male is, and my former female was. The latest female, which born in my community tank and somehow survived to reach a current length of 4cm - is sometimes aggressive.
    My alpha male ram chased it like crazy in general for months (usually feeding time) until it reached and surpassed his own size - now it literally starts fights with him? It comes along side him, whips its body back and forth a few times for him to see, then chases after him if he chickens out, nipping his tail. So strange, yet amusing really as its a temporary thing.
    Have caught it on video a few times.

Other rams it generally ignores, so it literally 'retaliates' against the one male after its life of being chased by him. Crazy!

I've realised that no matter what you read, there will be anomalies (anomollies?) and some fish just have their own nature.

12. OP
    Lee

Lee

Okay I will look for the small ones

13. OP
    Lee

Lee

True can't true most of the stuff online. I love swordfish but I was a bit worried about reading up on it

14. OP
    Lee

Lee

Also a update on when after one of the female gourami and the male attack it now I'm down to three and there I separated them from the other with fine mesh stuff my friend had, once I get another tank they can stay in the old one just for mollies and the rest are moving to the bigger new one.

15. OP
    Lee

Lee

Change of plan I decided to sell my 2 3ft and get a 4ft hopefully it gives there more space and they won't be as crowded. Also need to cant down on power at my rent for the cottage increased a bit more than expected.

Recent Posts