May they rot in Hell!

Discussion in 'Fish pics' started by Go-Big, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Jwh

Jwh

I'll give you my 2c worth...
    I think you need to have your meeting and get something concrete in terms of action plan and what the boundaries are going to be, as well as the bona fides of this group.
    The people you are teaming up with have as a stated objective the halting of trade in all animals and removal of animals from pet shops, perhaps not something members of this forum will feel comfortable with?
    I have dealt with animal right groups in the past, and despite noble stated intentions, I have seen people and property trashed when protests get out of hand. I would not be comfortable providing information unless I'm 100% certain that the spirit and letter of the law is absolutely followed, and no damage is caused. I would include some form of legal warranty that will make participant liable for any damages caused.
    To me the better option would be to get a legally sound opinion that colouring/ tattooing fish constitutes cruelty to animals, and lay formal charges with relevant authorities. If authorities do not respond, them protest may become an option under certain conditions.
    Blacklisted fish is a different kettle of fish (pun intended). This shouldn't be part of this, we are dealing with cruelty to animals, not illegal imports.
    As I said, my 2c worth...

Llama and MariaS like this.
  2. Guest

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Thanks @Jwh will take this in consideration tomorrow. Yes I am aware that they do intend to stop all trade in live animals. At the moment they don't target freshwater aquarist but I know this might change. At the moment my intentions is to get the dyed and tatood fish of the market. BAT works with Nature Conservation and the SPCA and therefore I the black listed imports will defnitly come up.

I need to apologize to @Pezulu here that I have received your e-mail. It just didn't come through on my phone. Thank you very much for the information. Once again sorry for this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. WeirdSteam

WeirdSteam Corydoras Freak!

Agreed with @Jwh. I have seen BAT and done my homework on the Group before. Dont support them never will!!!

I am however against the dying/coloring/tatoo of any fish an will never buy or keep them.

BAT's main objective is to BAN ANIMAL TRADING Point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Llama and nate like this.
  5. Pierré Schoonraad

Point taken @WeardStream
    I completely understand what BAT is about. If me contacting them causes the aquarium industry to be banned I will take it and suffer the concequinses. I need to start somewhere with this. Nobody, except Pezulu, came forward with anything. Everybody stands on their soap box and sings his tune. The moment you ask for everybody to stand together and help, everybody disapears.

BAT works with the SPCA and Nature Conservation. For me to use an organization that already has the connections saves me a lot of time and efford. I'm not doing this to start a fight with other members on this forum. I'm doing something to get the weels turning to get rid of this problem. If anybody knows about any other organization that is will to help with this, except BAT, SPCA or Nature Conservation, please add them here as I would like to contact them as well.

Thanks

6. WeirdSteam

Schoonraad">
    Agreed i am not here to start a fight. We had to deal with BAT before with regards to reptile trade and i am really not a fan....... but besides that this problem will only stop when importers stop importing these fish.

We Ordered Glass fish from Camcon.... day of delivery we recieved Dye injected Glassfish.

Refused to accept the shipment and sent the whole lot back.

7. Pezulu

Pezulu

I am not one for private organisations that try to do what official organisations like the NSPCA should be doing.
    Unfortunately entities like the NSPCA are hamstrung with a lack of funds, qualified inspectors, etc.
    In the end everything becomes a political ball to be passed around.

We all know Rhino are being threatened by extinction, yet we read weekly of rhino found killed for their horns, or elephants killed for their tusks.
    It boils down to greed. Much/most of the trade originates in the east, where the people have a different view to our Western ideologies.
    Dogs and cats are seen as food, where we see them as pets.
    Funny or scarce mutations are sold for high prices due to their uniqueness or scarcity.

These same people have seen a gap in the market, and are flooding it with cruelly developed or mutated animals.
    On Valentines day a girl would like to receive a fish with LOVE tattooed on its side.
    Who cares if it dies in a few days. It is the thought that counts.
    Children are drawn to bright colours, and dayglo coloured fish that have been injected with deadly toxins will attract those natural tendencies in children.
    Have you noticed who buys those dyed fish? Parents that are trying to placate their kids.
    If the fish dies within a few days, they are cheap enough to be replaced.

Visit any show or flea market, and you are bound to find someone selling an animal as a commodity.
    Whether it is unwanted puppies or kittens, or a goldfish in a small plastic bag, or Betta in a platic cup.
    The public in general wants, the market exists, and the commodity gets supplied.
    Everyone wins, apart from the animals, but they don't matter, as animals don't have feelings and feel very little pain.

Until the public at large gets educated and there is a mind-shift, these atrocities will continue to be perpetrated, to satisfy the greed of mankind.
    Perhaps stiff fines, the ability to enforce legislation, and will to do so, can help in making those changes.

8. WeirdSteam

I agree 100%

Unfortunately like @Pezulu states Money is king!

As long as people want/buy these fish it will stay. For importers its a business they are there to make money and feel nothing for these fish.

We refuse the order/keep/buy these in the LPS that i am involved with no matter how popular they are!

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  9. Pierré Schoonraad

Meeting went very well today. BAT is very interested in helping with the current problem/issue of dyed and tatood fish. They agree that educating pet shop owners and uninformed fish keepers about this prosess is first priority. They do realize that due to the fact that these fishes are imported, like this, it is not that easy to stem the flow of these fishes into SA. They do agree that there is a definit problem with border controle, including imports, due to lack of knowledge in this field.

They will help us with setting up and distribution of a flyer which can use to start informing people about this. No time frame has been set down for this, but it will happen.

During the past 2 days I visted about 8 pet shops. Only 2 didn't have coloured glass fish or dyed parrots in any of their tanks.

Nobody on this forum need to worry about any ill effects this will have to them. I belive everybody here cares about this subject. Thanks for all the insperation you all gave me to gather my courage and start doing something about this.

Jenn and Relborg like this.

Recent Posts