Lumax LED Tubes

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Pezulu, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

I converted a couple of under counter and normal T8 fluorescent lights over to LED tubes, and was impressed with the light intensity and quality of hte LED bulbs about 6 months ago.

Over the weekend while doing maintenance I noticed that the T8 30W tubes over my 120cm display tank were not as bright as they used to be, and a quick test with a light meter confirmed that they had dimmed by as much as 70% in the year that they have been running.

The tubes that were being used were "Super Day Hi-Glow" 30W 90cm tubes, at a replacement cost of anything between R225 and R350 each, depending on which LFS I visited.

During a chance visit to Chamerlains in Centurion I noticed 18W 120cm LED tubes, with a rating of 3000K.
    Not liking the Kelvin rating I visited an electrical wholesaler, and bought 2 x 22W 120cm LED tubes, with a rating of 6300K.
    Installation was straight forward.
    Remove the ballast and starter from the current installation.
    Join the wires together.
    Install the new LED tubes.
    Switch on...

The difference is astonishing.
    These Lumax 22W LED tubes are really bright, and reasonably cheap as well.
    Replacement of both tubes cost a bit less than the cost of 1 regular 90cm 30W tube.

I will check the Lux after a year again, but being LEDs they should retain their output much better than standard T8 tubes.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Lumax range of LED lights, globes and tubes?

Capture.JPG

2. Guest

3. Ren

Ren

Where did you get the led globes? T8?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

The 2835 LED's are the key here .. that and the density of the chips on the tube. Make sure you seal them somehow .. at a min around the connectors. They hate moisture.

5. OP
    Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

I got these T8 tubes from Kuso Electrical in Centurion.
    They cost R120 each.

6. Ren

Ren

Not bad at all! Will see what I can find closer to home

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

7. rsa

rsa

IMG_4528.JPG I used similar tubes. My tank came standard with only 2 t8 fluorescent tubes. Fitted 3 additional t8 led units rated at 6500k . I took them apart and reassembled them using silicon. Been running them for almost 2 years. Total cost was R360 . I still use the fluorescent tubes in conjunction with the LEDs. Considering how much proper led lighting units cost for aquariums , I personally think that this is a great alternative.

Recent Posts