Looking to vacuum tank water but for water to be pumped back into tank.

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Barrymore, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

This brown mold you speak of, does it stick to the tank or start breaking up and float when you disturb it? If it starts to break up and float then it sound a lot like the sediment I find in my sump which is nothing but waste from the filters and bacteria. This means you should clean the tank and filters way more, which is what can be seen from the 25% water change every other month. To give an idea, I have a 1500L setup, I do at least 50% water change weekly and clean my 400L filter twice a month, and I only have a hand full of discus and a few tetras in it :p

2. Guest

3. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I have just finished cleaning the filter section. It took me three hours. I have to disconnect the lighting, remove, with help, the large wooden top, then remove the two perspex sliding covers, then remove the four sponge filter sections,
    then vacuum the entire filter area cleaning the waste on the glass, then remove and clean the pump, then clean each sponge, replace the water, then all else in reverse order. I do not consider this an easy process.
    I suppose this is what it takes when only doing occasional water changes.

4. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

The mold floats when disturbed.

5. hviviers75

hviviers75

Yes for sure you wil notice the waste will become less and less in time when you start doing more regular water changes. Take some aquarium water to your nearest lfs and ask them to test nitrates. Everyone on this forum will inform you that tanks needs regular water changes weekly if possible. Good luck and please share your setup with some photos. How about this think your tank needs it. Do 10% daily water changes until you have completely replaced all your water with nice fresh treated water. Get yourself a 80-100 liter bin put new water in it throw in seachem prime and let the bin stand outside in the sun to heat water easily to your tanks temp. Remove your daily 10% lets say it is 40 liters. Also then gravel vac a tiny section each day pushing your pipe in gravel about 5cm deep you will see the gunk come out of the gravel. Just my 2 cents worth use it dont use it
    Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I do have a nitrate test kit and an expensive bottle of Tetra Nitrate Minus but one test would require almost the entire bottle. People have recommended fitting powerheads to get water movement throughout the tank and this should prevent mold settling on the bottom. (In theory) Currently water is only pumped into the tank at the far end at the bottom of the tank with a steady flow over the weir.

7. hviviers75

hviviers75

Yeah this is also needed if you dont have any good waterflow. Get yourself a nice strong internal filter then fill it with filter floss this will polish your water nicely tetra nitrate minus is not used to test your water it actually removes nitrates from your tank. Please read last section on edited post about a method you can try on water changes.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  8. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Yes. I realized after posting that I should have said nitrate minus to remove nitrates.
    I have just done a nitrate test and as expected the results were way off the color chart.
    I will use the nitrate minus but only after eliminating all that mold using my bucket filter system.

Someone asked for a system photo.
    If I click on "my photos" I only see three old photos but no option to browse my PC.

9. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Just to add. I do not need to vacuum 5cm into the gravel. The mold/moss/algae lies on top of the gravel and easily floats up the vacuum tube without my even having to touch the gravel. Some of it even floats to the surface when disturbed by a fish.

10. hviviers75

hviviers75

I would then rather start the 10% daily water changes high nitrates are toxic to the fish. I would add the nitrate minus immediately the fish are struggling bud.i

Sent from mTalk

11. hviviers75

hviviers75

I speak out of experience it is really needed trust me. Good luck take the advise bud

Sent from mTalk

12. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Thanks for your help. I have been browsing the net for powerheads and wave makers.
    It appears that they help to prevent mold from settling on the gravel, rather directing
    it towards the weir.

13. hviviers75

hviviers75

Pleasure bud you always need good water movement a good way to know when keeping plants is when the leaves sway slowly then all is good on the water movement and this also supplies good oxygen in the water for our fishes.

Sent from mTalk

14. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Unfortunately I do not have plants in the tank. Every time I have tried the fish eat them.
    I have just ordered two 800 GPH wave makers from Amazon. Hope I have done the right thing.

15. hviviers75

hviviers75

Wow think one should suffice bud you dont want your fish pushed into a corner with the strong current why not just get one from your local petshop thats 3000 liters per hour one is more than enough you can point it to the side of rear panel to slow down current.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  16. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Too late now. Order been placed. Presumably then, the flow volume cannot be regulated.
    I bought two because my layout of rocks and caves results in a few "dead" places where
    most of the muck accumulates and the tank is over 2 meters in length.
    I have just vacuumed 25 liters into my bucket again, trapping the muck on a towel, then pumping the
    clean water back. Would doing this regularly not reduce the nitrate levels?

17. hviviers75

hviviers75

No the nitrates are in the water. Yeah the muck is adding to your nitrates but the best only method is daily water changes to bring nitrates down and also less feeding. Yeah those wave makers wil work nicely then. Hope you receive them soon. Anyone will tell you water changes are needed for pristine water quality I do 80 liters a week on my 280liter 4 footer and replace filter floss every 2nd week. High nitrates burns the gills of the fish what type of fish do you keep. Once again good luck. You will se healthier happier fish when you get your nitrate levels down to below 20.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  18. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Very informative. Thank you. I have a tinfoil barb 360 mm long. 6 large silver dollars, four small albino widows, a few small Discuss and a large clown loach. Surprisingly the small fish have survived a few years without being eaten.
    When I first started, I bought all unusual, exotic fish but they only lived for a few years then died.
    My current fish are much more hardy, especially surviving in the current water conditions.
    As for feeding. Its a bit of a hit and miss approach. That large tinfoil barb eats anything it sees while others
    are more selective. I only feed them pellets in the evening, different sizes off course. A pinch of flakes in the mornings.
    I don't believe I over feed them but its hard to tell. As I previously stated, much of the "mid water feeding" pellets do not sink,
    same with flakes, they float and my fish do not go to feed on the surface so the food ends up going over the weir.

I do not use filter floss, only sponge. No idea whether this is a good or bad filter median.

19. hviviers75

hviviers75

Pleasure glad I can assist. So are you only using sponge as your filter media? If thats the case you need to seriously invest in bio ceramic rings seachem matrix if possible this is your best media for your biological media you need this as your bacteria breaks down your nitrates. When you feed your fish the food must be gone in a few minutes.

The Tranquility Effect

20. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

Yoh, my heart breaks to know you have Discus in a tank with fish like silver dollars and then do water changes only once every two months :(

21. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

All food should be eaten within three minutes as far as I know. Problem is that it is impossible to time how long it takes as I now only use sinking pellets that don't float as my fish do feed on the bottom but not on the surface. Pellets and sometimes peas settle between the rocks and behind rocks where they are not immediately visible to the fish nor to me.
    I will have to google ceramic rings as I have no idea what they are.

Recent Posts