Looking for fish breeders

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bart, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Bart

Bart

Good day everyone. I am looking for fish breeders to share knowledge with if there is a WhatsApp group? At this moment i am breeding dwarf gouramis and Neolamprologus leleupi and sailfin mollys. But i am interested in expanding to rainbows and discuss. Any advice as i have looked at a lot of YouTube vids.

2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Welcome! If you want to do discus then seriously prepare yourself! It's work but rewarding :)

4. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Welcome Bart.

Rainbows are super easy actually. Just be prepared for very small fry and a very long grow out period.

As @Hendre said discus is defnitly not the easiest fish to care for let alone breed. But you only need 3 things to sucseed with them. Dedication, dedication and dedication. That whould be dedication to gain as much knowledge about discus before even getting them. Dedication to keeping tanks spotless and providing perfecr water conditions. Dedication to feeding them the best food available. Lastly petshop discus will not cut the grade in quality fish needed for breeding purpose.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hendre likes this.
  5. sakkie

sakkie

as @pierreschoonraad and @Hendre said, the pet shop grade discus is a no brainer for breeding purposes, even though they label them as " AAA grade sometimes, or imported israeli stock, fact is they are sub grade. i have wcb imports price list here, you can see how cheap they land, 4cm assorted @ R66 so you can imagine the quality. i see them so often ariving at shops, fins clamped, hollow tummys, dont eat well etc. so if you want good grade discus to start breeding with, theres a guy called marco on here, he has a fb page go look it up "the discus tank" and get some quality para free ones from him. lot of his parent stock is " i think" stendker and so on if i remember right. a good quality discus from good breeding stock that has been well looked after from birth and well looked after untill they start breeding themselves will give best results. if you just buy random discus chances are they havent been looked after well and might not breed very well. ife seen that with angels.

6. OP
    Bart

Bart

Thx all. Love this forum. Will have a look. I never had discus before but always wanted to breed them. Have bred several fish before ranging in difficulty buy discus will be the ultimate Thx once again.

7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Hi @Bart, and welcome to the Forum

There are numerous members on this Forum that breed different species of fish and are always willing to help and share their knowledge
    There are also numerous threads on the breeding section on various types of fish, which you can search on

Bart likes this.
  8. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Welcome to the forum Bart. I know you will find all you wanted and more on breeding on this forum

9. Marcel_73

Marcel_73

following

Recent Posts