looking for discus food in gauteng

Discussion in 'Sponsor Requests' started by butcherman, Oct 29, 2009.

1. butcherman

butcherman Administrator

I'm looking for prepared minced oxheart for discus. dose anyone know where i can get some preferably in the eastrand.

2. Guest

3. SomethingAbstract

SomethingAbstract

make your own. there is alot of recipes on the net, and i think prof dirk also has a couple of his own.... not that difficult. And with your name i dont think you should have any problems :)

4. OP
    butcherman

butcherman Administrator

I was reading Prof Dirk's Thread on feeding Discus.
    He stated the following:

"It is for this reason that I no longer prepare my own beefheart mixtures any more. I feed scientifically formulated beefheart mixtures with balanced amounts of vitamins, minerals and spirulina algae powder that have been formulated by nutritionists and veterinary surgeons who have specialized in discus. Another problem is that I have it on authority that the use of anabolic steroids in South African beef is not what it should be. Beef cattle that have been fed with anabolic steroids also deposit these steroids in the heart muscle with the result that discus that are fed with our local beefheart are also exposed to steroids."

I work in the beef industry so yes its easy get ahold of. but like he worries it not garenteed to be steroid free. Plus its way easier to go buy something thats packaged correctly and eeaier to store :p

5. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

just for interest sake, what do discus eat in the wild? I'm sure open heart surgery ox victims don't just drop into the streams daily?

6. OP
    butcherman

butcherman Administrator

probably mosqitoe larva like in the profs article

7. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

why is oxheart so necessary then? cant you feed them bloodworms or mozzy larvae?

8. OP
    butcherman

butcherman Administrator

it probably has a higher peitien and nurtient concentration

9. SomethingAbstract

SomethingAbstract

sure the prepared oxheart is better if it is from a good source, but i still prefer to make my own, and i dont know of anyone that sells prepared oxheart in the jhb region (excluding daro etc, who knows what goes into those mixtures) i have always made my own food and the discus love it and grow fast, i dont even always stick to the same recipe, only things i add everytime is spirulina, centrum, pure Vit-C powder and maybe spinach or peas, then there is also things you can add to bring out the red and other colors of the fish
    have a look at this recipe: http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=34961

and here for alot more handy info: http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

10. neilh

neilh

Hikari Discus works wonders as well. Pretty high in protein

Reason for beefheart is the high protein contentto help fuel the fast metabolism of Discus in warmer water

Recent Posts