Local fish clubs

Discussion in 'Social Groups' started by Wesley0713, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Wesley0713

Wesley0713

Is this a thing? Based in JHB?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Not that I've seen since I've moved here. If they are around, they're not well known, it seems. Definitely not on the scale you'd see in the UK or US.

In South Africa, instead we have Facebook and Whatsapp groups. They can certainly be useful, but in larger groups there is a lot of filler and off-topic conversation.

4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I am not aware of any fish clubs in the area either..

There are probably dozens of WhatsApp groups most of which have been started by LFS's mainly to post and advertise what they have for sale and although they allow people on the group to chat and post, not much of great value is ever posted or shared and most of it is the people joking with each other until whatever time of the night
    Im not condemning it but it can drive you crazy sometimes

I am on two such groups and one, its just for sale fish/goods and literally not much else and the other one you do sometimes get people asking for help and some advice given but 95% of the time its mostly chit chat
    So, they can be useful to keep you in the loop of anything new or on special but you do need the patience to put up with some of the never ending chit chat

I think I have heard of two or three WhatsApp groups for specific fish species here and there but not a lot or they short lived

5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I think this is possibly a worldwide trend.
    Clubs and shows are on the decline here as well.

At least we have this Forum to share knowledge and photos etc

Recent Posts