Live Breeder Partition / Egg saver

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by ACE007, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

I'm thinking of making something that is not expensive to make and should also NOT stress out the fish. Like the plastic breeding boxes. They will have space to swim.

The idea I have is something that I saw once on a website and I just want to make it easier and more user friendly.

I'm looking at using a 45cm tank with small sponge filter, heater and maybe a air stone.

What I'm looking at is to divide the tank horizontally. I found a green plastic grid sheet at a hardware store with a hole size of about 4mm. So anything bigger than that can't get through the holes. The live bearing fish and also with egg droppers the fry / eggs should fall through to the bottom half of the tank.

The air stone will be mounted under the tank to create some sort of movement in the top half to help the fry / eggs falling through.

So you can have your pregnant live bearing fish or even something small like a neons / danios in there and should be able to get their eggs.

Please let me know if anyone tried something like this before or had a similar idea.

Thx
    Ewald

2. Guest

3. Dolphin

Dolphin

slightly off-topic, but could please provide details of the "green plastic grid"? Brand name, Store name... any details will be much appreciated...

back to the topic... one of my breeders users 2 pcs of glass that makes a V from the long sides of the tank and meets in the middle were it has gap big enough for the eggs/fry to get through but not the adult fish... hth

4. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

The green plastic net is called TREMNET PVC Netting Green (4mm holes and 1m wide) The price is R39.72 ex vat.

I bought it yesterday at Pennypinchers by Macro in Montague Gardens.

And just for the fun of it I also bought green cable ties to play with designs etc...

If the space at the top is big enough you can also add some plants for them to swim through.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin

thanks for the info!

6. Reafer

Reafer

how about some pics :)

7. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

I started bending a wire frame last night but not finished yet. Almost something like a huge grow out net tank that hooks onto the side.

Will take pic tonight and put it up tomorrow.

Any one else have tricks to save the fry / eggs ???

8. Carping

Carping MTS Victim

Don't want to pop your bubble there ACE, but what's going to happen when that wire starts rusting in the water?

9. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

:bigsmile: No problem.... It's just to get the size correct.

It wont stay in the enclosure. I'm actually looking at maybe doing a PVC type small frame, but need to see where I can find small pipe and corners.

Otherwise, the PVC net that I have will stay straight without a frame so that's also a plus point. Maybe just use the net and cable ties with a plastic hook and all is ok then.

10. veegal

veegal

Would you leave the adults in the top section all the time in other words, will this be a permanent fixture of only something you'd transfer the expectant guppy into in order to give birth and then remove the 'netting' once she has dropped the babies?

11. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

Yes. It depends on your grow out tank that you have. I have a small one only 45cm, but I want to give them the most possible space to swim in so that they don't get stressed. Even want it big enough to maybe have a few floating plants in there maybe.

When she is done then you just move her back to the rest and take the breeding "net" out.

If I have something that I like, I'll come and show you and you can give your opinion on it.

12. darryn

darryn

Sounds like an interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

13. veegal

veegal

Sounds good then - I look forward to seeing it :D

14. speedz

speedz In need of a fishroom....

if it works i think alot of people would be interested as people are always looking for ways to save the fry

15. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

remember that your fry will also be able to swim to the top side, so it seems when they have been dropped, you need to remove the adults

16. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

Here is the two I've made so far.

1. The attempt with the wire frame (Looks good and might work :p)
    2. The one I made last night and just to show the size placed a empty 2L bottle in there. (That should be ample space for them to swim around)

Any one else with ideas / pics of their setups how they do this :hmmmm::hmmmm:

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

17. Dolphin

Dolphin

on a side note again, sorry, I've got some of that "mesh" - thought you found some type of rigid material... but still thanks for sharing!

18. Kuhli Loach

Kuhli Loach

Just a thought: :idea:
    Why not use a single layer of the mesh that fits horizontally inside the tank. It can be stiffened by gluing some sort of plastic to the mesh if it sags to much in the center (something like a normal ruler would do the job). Them support it on some small diameter PVC pipe, that can also be glued to the mesh, one on each corner and maybe one in the center of the sheet of mesh. The height from the bottom of the tank can be determined by the length of PVC pipe that you use.

19. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

MMMMMM I do have half a tube of marine silicone still left...

Will see if I can do something tonight :p:p:p

20. OP
    ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

Were just thinking about it. I might have some pieces of perspex also lying at home that i can try and use to make the V shape fry catcher Dolphin mentioned.

Will also try and make it a removable one. Will up some pics when done

21. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

i actually thought your plant was to implement it like Khuli Loach said, just a square frame, wrapped mesh around it, and support it a few cm from the bottom, lol, it would look better in the tank, than a whole basket would :idea:

Recent Posts