Linebreeding

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Swerwer, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Swerwer

Swerwer

Anyone here bussy with line breeding on fish and what fish are you bussy with if you are bussy with line breeding.

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Swerwer ,

I did extensive line breeding/inbreeding with dogs in my 30 years of breeding.

Started our Black Diamond Stingray project about six years ago but, its still in very early stages due to the fact that they only reach breeding maturity between 2.5 and 3 years old
    You also start with a completely blank slate as you have no means of using the ancestors of the pups you import so its been a 3 year wait for them to reach breeding maturity and now a 3 year wait for their pups to mature

We brought in 2 males and 2 females in October which are very close to breeding age in the hope of speeding up the process but even they will probably produce offspring towards the end of this year although the males are already showing interest and will probably breed with Polkadot and Blackie before that but the 2 females will take longer

I think with other fish that breed at early age, iits a much quicker and easier precess

I think @Marco is probably one of the very few that has been doing intense work with his discus and now rams

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I seem to recall some members were doing something with Guppies, but am not sure if that is still happening.

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Remember that, if I remember right, i think @Vis had that going but sadly i think he went out the hobby and i havent seen anyone following it through and sharing on the Forum
    Will be interesting to know

6. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

I did some linebreeding with my RCS.
    It has taken about 5 years now, but I have been able to breed to colouration in to a good quality red.
    I started with 10 wild coloured shrimp, and slowly through breeding and culling have managed to get the shrimp to consistantly breed true, with good colouring.

MariaS likes this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thats awesome @Pezulu, well done

But... as you say... 5 years down the line!!
    Its a long process even with shrimp that breed so fast... it takes loads of patience and determination not to mention the downhills which happen along the line

8. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

We use line breeding on the plants we growing in the greenhouses. It is +- the same prinsepil u use. We have been using it on the plants for more than 25 years.

9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I think the principal remains the same no matter what you doing
    I would just think that maybe some things you can do a closer inbreeding without a problem others you have to be careful not to go too close
    Rule of thumb for dogs to be safe is 3/2
    2/2 is already taking a big chance as you not only stamping the traits you want but unfortunately the faults the line might carry too

With fish, i think you can go closer but then you have to breed out again

10. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

Yes and you need to start from the beginning the lfs have no info on the the fish they selling. The right selekction is veryinportend. But will see where this go. Getting a feeling im going to end up again with a lot of tanks again lol.

MariaS and A new day like this.
  11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

What plants are you breeding?

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hahhaa thats the problem... when the bug bites there is never enough tanks!!

What fish are you planning to breed?

13. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

Looking at discus and Lyretail mollies and balloon mollie. Ballon molies im looking at the black and gold one's lyretail molies i am looking at the orangdand and white type. Discus im looking at wild pairs and bleu one's. But discus only if I get the right pairs.

MariaS and T. Guppy like this.
  14. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Sounds interesting! Good luck!:thumbup:

Swerwer likes this.
  15. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

That sounds interesting

Only thing with Discus as you say, you have to start with very good quality stock

Swerwer likes this.
  16. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi Maria,

Well done on this project you have undertaken. It is really inspiring to see the fruits of your efforts, and also to hear you making plans for the future.
    With such a long period between generational turnover, it means you need to be focused and dedicated for a longer period of time. I can imagine it must be frustrating, but it has its advantages also.

What an amazing addition to the SA hobby you guys have made by taking the initiative to do this.
    I still remember when many local aquarists were wide-eyed with admiration at what breeders in other countries were achieving with their Rays, and here you guys are doing it right here in Mzanzi.
    Hat of to you and Cesar

Please send him my best regards
    Its been years since I last spoke to him.

Regards

Marco

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reedfish, A new day and MariaS like this.
  17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @Marco ..

Thank you so much for the kind words...Coming from someone like you whose knowledge and achievements speak for themselves... they mean a lot.
    You have left me almost in tears!!

I reached out to you a couple of times for advice and you always happily helped in the finest detail
    We take our hats off to you for what you have achieved with the Discus and now with the rams in this Country.
    Now we just waiting for @Reedfish"s red eye black nights!!!

Reedfish likes this.
  18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Marco,

Do you have any plants for this??

19. top dog

top dog

tried for a few years to breed barred midas cichlids from non barred stocked.
    it never worked out for me as i need to get the fish to 5-7cm to see if they peel (turn orange and loose the barring)
    got fish on 4th generation to peel far later 12-15cm but never got a barred adult.
    gave up as fish i was producing had very little market value and i struggle to get rid of them plus i had 6 pet shops that were flooded with fish they could not sell.
    with a far harsher kulling and more space i could have achieved what i wanted but there would only be no market for the results so gave up.
    going to import some one day far less effort and 100% barred midas then line breed from there

Reedfish likes this.
  20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@top dog

I guess that's always going to be an issue with a project like this - what to do with the youngsters that haven't met the standards you are trying to achieve.

top dog likes this.
  21. top dog

top dog

@Reedfish I have always struggled with this
    been very soft when it comes to culling and find it gets harder the bigger they get
    so best to just leave it and just keep midas in community setting where they can not breed

Recent Posts