Killifish

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by SVANZYL1982, Jul 19, 2011.

1. SVANZYL1982

SVANZYL1982

Hi Guys
    I'm new to this whole post thing, and to this website ... and to breeding fish, it's a hobby I'm trying to start for my son (but I have developed a keen interest). Can anyone tell me where I can get Killifish eggs (besides PNP or homemark where they 're ripping you off) and then maybe a few pointers on hatching them.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

Killis is a very sensitive subject to discuss on this forum SVANZYL, as they are generally banned and blacklisted in SA... I myself have had 2 (or 3) topics on Killis closed by the Moderators, so I'll suggest (being new)..... to get a list of all black listed fish and plants (ak Henk Hugo) and refrain from discussing those here...... BTW!.... Welcome to the forum.

4. MItchell

MItchell

Welcome to the forum!
    Most Killis arent Blacklisted, only 4, all Nothos. I currently have about 3 species but getting 2 more soon. Please put your location in your profile, others on the forum have a larger variety than me.

5. OP
    SVANZYL1982

SVANZYL1982

To Cheetah - What does blacklisted mean? Is it illegal? Why ? Who are the moderators? I know I sound very naive and inexperienced (which I am) but like I said, I 'm new to all of this!

To Mitchell - Will complete location now and I assume the killis from Homemark are n't blacklisted or else they would n't by sold..... I assume...

6. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

Yes.... Blacklisted fish are illegal to keep... just click on the link below and peruse the list...... I would think that the main reason for blacklisting fish in SA would be that they are all fish which are compatable to our water conditions..... People getting fedup with their fish release them in the dams and rivers and they survive and flourish causing an upset in the indigenous balance in our eco-system.....
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?78-Freshwater-Fish-Blacklist

Rory is the Administrator of this forum and then we have a couple of Moderators whom you'll get to know with time..... they are the guys trying to maintain order on the forum and scrutinizing every post or topic we make to ensure that we (the members) keep within the rules of the forum and do not "promote" (for instance) fish on the banned list as this puts the forum in a bad stance with authorities which may result in closure of the forum or fines being imposed......

I hope that helps to explain a little..... BTW.... Zoom, Gert Combrinck and (I think Big_G) are a few of the mods to mention a few,.... but if you want help real quick....... talk to Zoom..... (no offence to the other mods.... he! he!)

7. Vis

Vis Gerhard

@Marco and @Salmon Africa are the new mods.

I wish the guys who are so eager to say something is blacklisted will
    rather just name the species that are not or suggest alternatives.

In most cases its just "its blacklisted so deal with it"

Not speaking directly to the guys that posted here but in general we have
    that attitude.

Svanzyl I will pm you some details that might be able to help you with
    some killi fish.

Gerhard

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Hi @SVANZYL1982

Mods are:
    Gert Crombrink
    Big G
    Rory (owner)
    Marco
    Zebra Pleco
    Salmon Africa
    and myself

We basically just keep the forum clean of spam, chancers, and the odd "braun" that decides to show up his / her attitude.

Thank you to Cheetah to directing to blacklist.

Yes, unfortunately "Blacklist" means that they are illegal in our country. Unfortunately being a government department etc, this blacklist is not actively policed as it should be, nor are people fully aware of the list, nor the implications these species will have in our natural environment. However, having said that, we on TASA believe that we will not condone, nor allow that trade, or the specific requirements being asked in order to "keep" any fish or plant that is on the Blacklist. We will however tolerate certain discussions on blacklisted species as long as the discussions do not entail specific "keeping" or trading.

And yes, Killifish are BL, however, not all of them. There are a few species that are not.

However I personally feel there are a lot more easier fish that will prove more rewarding and easier to keep than killifish, and would encourage you to explore our site and find out more information.

And finally: Welcome to our forum.

9. OP
    SVANZYL1982

SVANZYL1982

Vis, thank you for being so nice about this subject, for a newby, the first impression can be quite hostile, I would appreciate some info thanks and I can't become educated if noones willing to educate.

10. Herve

Herve

Hi
    I dont think you guys realise how many killifish species you get,and let me tell you MOST OF THEM ARE NOT BLACKLISTED.They are some of the easiest fish that I keep.
    Most of my killi tanks dont have any filtration or heaters,nor have I had any killifish with white spot.So try them.
    REGARDS
    Herve

11. OP
    SVANZYL1982

SVANZYL1982

I'm definitely keen, can I bother you for pointers anytime?

12. MItchell

MItchell

Thanks Herve for helping to clear this up. The most commonly kept killifish I would say are Fundulopanchax, Aphysemion and Nothobranchius. Out of those three types only Nothos have some Blacklisted species. Out of the hundreds, maybe even thousands of Notho's, only 4 are blacklisted, and you will probably struggle to find them anyway. They are beautiful fish that are really easy to keep and breed, it a shame more people dont breed them.
    Homemarks killifish havent been identified yet, though I can say its a type of Notho and because 1 of our blacklisted Notho's is so pretty, it could possibly be shipped in these kits. I would wait until the fish in these kits are identified before buying a kit, and even then reconsider because these kits are so expensive and promote bad fishkeeping.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  13. WitB1itz

WitB1itz

Getting hold of killifish

Hi
    I have always had an interest in Killi fish but could never get hold of any.
    Then the other day I saw some eggs being sold on EBay.

After some investigation I came across this thread.

Can anyone help me getting hold of some killi fish or eggs.
    I would prefer non-annual's but annuals will do fine for a start.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Thank you
    WitB1itz

14. luquail

luquail

yes wow killis have interested me for years just each time ive been talked out of keeping them.... such a pity

perhaps this year il give it a go. i believe petstop has a few and if there are other forum member willing to sell some please im very keen and i currently have an unused 2ft sitting outside eyeballing me.

who would be the best member to chat to about this? im in the pretoria area.

15. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I'm sure @azurekoi could direct you into the right direction.

16. Herve

Herve

Hi guys
    You can contact me,if you want some info on killis.I know PROF DIRK was advertising some golden ausrtale on ASAP.There is also a list of Killifish keepers on ASAP.

17. Herve

Herve

Sorry APSA

18. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

@luquail - Sure Mark,will be glad to help out... Maybe catch up over the weekend or so?

19. WitB1itz

WitB1itz

Sure...where do you want to meet?
    My Saturday is a bit full but Sunday is open or even Friday afternoon.

20. luquail

luquail

yay!!! (except for the thread hijacking) but i got a trio of killies from petstop still doubtful on the species but our best guesses seem to point to (Aphyosemion cinnamomeum) could be horribly wrong :worried:...

still reading up plenty on these delightful little fish! lol so cute! i don't have enough posts to pm so can i get your email to correspond please... pm me ;)

21. lithosza

lithosza KilliNut

You can maybe post some pictures and I will try to identify

Recent Posts