Killi behavior

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by CJ Fish, Jun 20, 2013.

1. CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Hi

I got myself a pair of Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri on the weekend, but was wondering about their behavior. The male seems quite sociable and although it spends quite a lot of time hiding behind rocks and in plants, I see it come out in the evenings and early mornings

The female however I rarely see - she has managed to find a spot to hide where I cannot find her.

Is this normal behavior for the females or killifish in general, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the advice

CJ

2. Guest

3. Nico1976

Nico1976

Is your tank tightly covered? They have a knack for finding the smallest crack and ending up on the floor. Did you get them in Durban?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. francoisve

francoisve Killinut

You'd be better off with another female, preferably another two females as the male can and will sometime harass a single female (especially if there is not enough hiding space). They are prolific breeders and the males wants to mate all the time. This could lead to an exhausted female in the end that will lose condition and suffer eventually. Make sure there is enough hiding space especially a mop or some leafy plants.

As far as behaviour above it is quite normal. Remember they are also quite new in the tank so are still settling in - in my community tanks they swam around like the neons... :)

Recent Posts