Killer Community

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by SHAHEEM, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SHAHEEM

SHAHEEM

I would like to start a kickazz community tank- with Chichilids (various), Oscars, Parrot fish, Spotted Domino's, a Pleco, maybe a discus too.

Do ya'll think this combination of fish can survive together (all of the same size)

If you reccomend anything else please post pics of them too- ive noticed that different people call the same fish different names or simply get confused lol.

Im looking at getting a 2m long tank- and 1 of those huge waterfall filters

The above combination should turn out to be quite colourful.

On a different note...is it wrong for me to purchase ...lets say...guppies/neons - as a meal for my fish- just to give them the thrill of the hunt?

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Hi there

I have to admit, the fish you're looking at are all quite interesting in their own ways, but not all will get on.

Cichlids comprise an entire group of fish - a group containing the Malawis (which are best kept among themselves), oscars, angelfish and many, many others. Each has different care requirements and is may require quite specific set ups. Do some reading up on the net about what cichlids you'd be most interested in.

Oscars can grow huge, put out lots of waste and can be nasty. At 30cm, there are few fish which can mix with them, but from the fish that you've listed and tank size you've mentioned, you can easily mix these fish with parrot fish and plecos. They're real pet fish and quickly come to recognise their owner. :)

Parrot fish, like Oscars, can be quite nasty, if not nastier. You need to make sure you keep these with equally boisterous fish.

I'm not sure what a spotted domino is?

Plecos work for many community tanks, however, the common ones you see get massive. Greatly suited to a tank of 2 meters though. :)

Discus require a very specific environment without the competition of the fish that have so far been mentioned - they do best among smaller tetras and catfish in a quiet community.

As for the feeding of live fish to other fish... I can't highly recommend it, but bear in mind that this is just my opinion. I only see justification in the feeding of live fish to another if the predatory fish will feed on NOTHING ELSE but live food. Plus problems can occur - this can be a very costly exercise and is a sure way to introduce disease into the tank if care is not taken. A lot cheaper and more effective to stick to frozen and dry foods. Captive fish live equally happy lives on dead foods. :)

Regards

4. OP
    SHAHEEM

SHAHEEM

AWESOME reply !!!

Im starting to recognise you as a guru !

Parrots are really not all that tough- one of their limmitation due to their mutation is that their mouths can barely close to bite another fish (unless it take an eye lol)

Chichilids comprise an entire group- yes
    I was looking at getting some Malawies, some frantosa's, some Kribenzi's, some Pearlie's (slang around here i assume- dnt know what they called)

Im also given to understand that a fish will not grow to an enourmous size if the tank does not allow (space constraint)

As per your advice - Discus is off my list for this tank

Im sorry- i meant a red spotted deacon ! Forgive me

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

No. If a tank is too small for the fish, it's more likely the water quality will be bad which results in the fish being stunted and in poor health. Fish will grow to full size given good water conditions regardless of the size of the tank. You will make your life much easier and the fish's lives much happier if you keep fish that are suited to the size of your tank.

Malawis like very alkaline water (high ph). Kribs prefer a lower to neutral ph, so these aren't really good tank mates. Oscars also prefer a lower ph than Malawis.

You can have a a tank full of "nasties" - lol - just make sure they like the same water parameters. Google is your friend :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. oscar freak

oscar freak

hi,2m is a great size tank and perfect for a couple of oscars :p my second favourite fish.and im one of those fine with feeding live fish so long as you know where they come from and their healthy thats why i breed my own.

7. Breado

Breado

Hi Shaheem

If you want colour and excitment, go for cichlids - and choose your type carefully. I have a 2m mixed cichlid tank - not the ideal mix of them, but so far so good. Colour is great and you get a good show. See my thread poasted a few days ago, and Oscar Freak's advice to ensure you dont end up with problem - with my mix I guess I got lucky. My tank has much of those species that you mentioned amd I keep a 160l Discus tank as well.

All the best with you plans!!!

Regards
    Breado

Recent Posts