Keeping deep water species in aquariums

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TrevorR, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Yes I agree on this completely and I am aware of them, however this does not apply to generally kept aquarium hobby fish which is the subject of "discussion" here.

2. Guest

3. OP
    TrevorR

TrevorR

@Nico Hamman With all due respect; am not about to do your research for you and please do same before you make false statements!

4. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

O please, no such peer review studies exist! If they did show them to all here as it may benefit the hobby. My statements are not false but fact! Proove me wrong!!!!!

5. MadHatter

MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

Such a hypocrite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OP
    TrevorR

TrevorR

Marine or fresh water; makes no difference, water pressure is well; water pressure!

7. MadHatter

Wat about air pressure?

Sea level vs couple thousand meters above?

8. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Yip!

9. OP
    TrevorR

TrevorR

Tropheus duboisi inhabit at around 30 metres down and Frontosas at around 70 metres down where they defend their territories fiercly as they must because of relatively small size. Therefore I am happy to keep all other types of Tropheus as they inhabit the shallows. Therefore I know that with them I can best supply them with an envonment closer to their natural habitat. It just makes for plain common sense!

Btw many studies have been made with regard to the housing of deep water fish in captivity. The great white shark may hunt at the surface, but they live down deep and no one to date has as yet been successful at keeping them alive in captivity.

Yes your Frontosas may survive in a meek and mild way, a mere shadow of what they are in the wild; you think that they're happy???

10. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Still waiting for your peer review studies. You keep on referring to these "many studies" but as usual you fail to back it up.

11. MadHatter

A great white doesn’t just dive 70m down, they dive down to 1km +.

So if they aren’t happy, why do they live to +- the average age in aquariums vs nature?

If a fish had a problem with shallow water they wouldn’t live as long..

12. MadHatter

Also, great white sharks swim 100’s of km’s a day, in an aquarium they are confined, they mainly die due to starvation. Cause they refuse to eat. Or they die due to the fact that they cant swim where they want which leads to loss of appetite or stress that kills them..

So thats a dumb topic to bring up, honestly...

Hendre and Nico Hamman like this.
  13. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

This is due to the fact that they are open water creatures and simply don't seem to fit into the typical shark aquarium behaviour.

As for depth. Many fish have a depth range measured in hundreds of meters. Fronts may "live" at 70 meters, or in fact:
    This species is endemic to Lake Tanganyika in East Africa and is widespread in the northern half of the lake,[1] whereas the closely related C. gibberosa inhabits the southern half of the lake. The species generally resides at greater depths (30–50 m subsurface)[2] than most other cichlids, and rises to shallow waters in the early morning to feed on shoaling fish such as Cyprichromis species.

Frontosa are a useless example for this.

Nico Hamman likes this.
  14. BadgerBadger

BadgerBadger

How about everyone just stop responding to this guy so we can let this pointless discussion end already. He isn’t interested in anything other than arguing his point. Let it go.

15. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Could not agree with you more.

MariaS likes this.
  16. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Yes, many, many, many studies. And these studies generally indicate the successes that have been reaped in keeping these fish. There are some that are less suited to captivity, sure, but none of these are in the aquarium trade. If you want to see these animals with your own eyes, go to Two Oceans Aquarium. They have multiple deepwater exhibits on at the moment, with very healthy fish that come from far deeper than our dear Frontosa.

Also, the great white shark doesn't make it in captivity for a number of reasons, but depth or pressure had nothing to do with it. Young great whites make extensive use of the shallower shelf waters. Monterey Bay kept several specimens on display for nearly two years before releasing them - alive - back into the wild. Please read the research before making claims.

This book dedicates three chapters to the above MB study, if you'd like a start.

Frontosas are found at various depths - from shallower to much deeper than you mention - so what is your point exactly? And do you propose that the behaviour you see in an aquarium is different to that in the wild? How so?

Do you not maybe believe that it is because they're semi-nocturnal and primarily stalk their prey at night? That they don't need to be hyperactive predators in the aquarium because that's simply not how they're like in the wild?

And under what circumstances would an animal breed in captivity if it were unhappy and stressed? In my experience, poor environmental conditions yield poor reproductive success, and given the commercial scale of frontosa breeding, I don't see your case here.

@TrevorR - I think you're just arguing for argument's sake here. And not in a constructive way, either. It's all well and good to generate discussion and to challenge views, but at this point you're stating non-facts, and trying to beat down real, scientific data and years of aquarium experience into submission. Or, failing that, spouting extreme views that have little to nothing to do with the topic. It's not intellectual. There is a wealth of cumulative knowledge here on this forum, and there are literally centuries of ichthyological research available to you at a click of a button one tab away. If you want to prove a point, dig it up, and use it bolster your argument, rather than folding your arms and saying "no u".

Your argument on this thread is about keeping species that are occasionally found at depth, but ultimately your argument is (somewhat) hinging on your idea that animals found in particular environments in the wild are absolutely unfit to be kept in captivity, despite all evidence to the contrary. In my little time as a fishkeeper, I've never seen a captive Frontosa (or any Lake Tanganyika cichlid that may be found at depth) showing signs of barometric stress or barotrauma, and most certainly not to the point where it has affected their health and welfare.

Have you?

Zippy320, Nico Hamman, MariaS and 2 others like this.
  17. OP
    TrevorR

TrevorR

Hey guys you do what you do and I do what I do, let's just leave it at that, I am done here at this thread! Thanks!

18. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

n0smry3ctth01.jpg

This thread..

19. Bradley Rees

Bradley Rees

:lol::lol::lol:ive been watching this from the start and its ridiculous :confused:glad it happened though, brought up some interesting points mostly

Innocent159 likes this.
  20. Innocent159

Innocent159

On to the next one

Bradley Rees likes this.
  21. RobK

RobK

I must say I'm am rather disappointed with the amount of information on Cytotilapia Frontosa in its natural environment, large amount of info on keeping them in aquariums.
    So what I could find ....
    They are found between 6 to 120 m in the water column, with the larger specimens found more commonly in deeper water, they seem to be non aggressive but will defend thier territorys. They can live up to 25 years old, which apparently they can live to this age in a well kept aquarium as well.
    Sorry but that's all I could dig up. :confused:

Nico Hamman and Bradley Rees like this.

Recent Posts