Jden’s 450ltr

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by J’den, Feb 10, 2020.

1. A new day

A new day

I would add Stability to be on the safe side.

J’den likes this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Sorry for your losses @J' den,

Going through what you have explained, i agree that either the Ottos caried some disease/parasite... with wild caught fish it is invariably parasites
    Any fish i know are wild caught, i treat with Prazipro and never had any losses... worth considering

Or a slight filter spike/crash either from the cleaning, it can happen to the best of us or a spike from the dead fish however that leaves the question of why the fish died in the first place
    The parameters are not 100% if slight ammonia and no nitrates

Two questions came to my mind which you didnt mention
    I assume you washed everything with tank water...

The other is... how long have you had the carbon in the filter?
    Remember that carbon once saturated, releases the toxins back into your water.. this is also something that could have happened

Personally, i dont use or recommend the use of carbon, the space it takes rather use more ceramic rings and also you never know for sure when it reaches saturation as this varies not only from tank to tank but also the quality of the carbon..

As I said, just a few thoughts...
    Hope it all stabilizes now
    I would also add some Stability to help things settle but i would get rid of the carbon or if you believe in carbon, at least maybe replace it

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    J’den

J’den

I’m going to buy Prazipro definitely thanks for the advice.
    The carbon has been I’m my tank for maybe a month and a half if memory serves because I bought it with the purpose or leaching any remaining no planeria out of the tank and will be removing it this weekend when I get some more purfilterum and ceramics.
    The idea that the carbon could has released stuff back in is 100% possible especially because it’s been more than a month but I thought it had a 3 month life span but like you said it varies.
    When I wash the filter I use treated water not usually tank water, but will switch to using tank water because it sounds like the better bet. Before this happened I had no ammonia issues or any issues besides algae when my snails got nuked with no planeria months back.
    I have started the Stability treatment but for now everything in the tank seems fine, I will continue to update if anything happens.
    To everyone that has offered advice thank you very much! I hugely appreciate it.

A new day likes this.
  5. A new day

A new day

I’ll get PraziPro myself, thanks @MariaS

@J’den keep us posted

MariaS and J’den like this.
  6. OP
    J’den

J’den

[​IMG]
    Things have stabilized-ish I’ll run the water tests tomorrow again because I did my water change, removed all unwanted stuff from filter added 1kg of matrix and dosed with the prazipro (fml it’s expensive).
    I hope everything is going to be fine my carpet seems like it’s sent out runners but it taking it’s sweet time so I’m more than likely going to buy some more pots and plant them.

I have so much ricca I’m debating doing a rica carpet instead of the Monte Carlo because I seem to be better at growing the ricca but I more than likely will do a wall of ricca. Iv also introduced what’s supposedly these four different buces Green velvet, Deep purple, Thelia blue and Bilblis blue metal as well as crypt wendtii.
    I’m still hunting some really nice buces and crypts I’ll head to RBM soon again or if anyone knows of another places selling nice ones please let me know.

Some help with LEDs if anyone has any experience with the Zetlight leds specifically the wifi controllable ones I’m considering placing two on my tank I’m just concerned that it will not give the same results as my T5s ideally it would give better ones.

Hendre, A new day and MariaS like this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Glad that it sounds like things are stabilizing, the extra Matrix can only help.

Yep... Prazipro isnt cheap but i have found its worth every cent and safe for any species of fish which is peace of mind as well

Hope all settles nicely after this.

J’den likes this.
  8. A new day

A new day

@J’den if you are specifically interested in growing the reds I’d suggest the Lancia 2. On your tank you’d need 2 of them though, one for foreground and one for background. Even on my 65L I need to move it forward and back during the day as it gives a narrow band of light. Getting two of them will come with a price tag, though. Especially for your tank size. But perhaps worth saving up for.

I took these 2 pics just now, the light is still dim as it is on sunrise. But look at the colour on the rotala I got from you. The light is pushed right back at the moment. You’re welcome to come take a closer look of course.

Edit: I have that same rotala in all 4 of my tanks, but the Lancia is the only light that brings out this colour intensity.

91491B00-BB38-49F1-A8FD-D1A90F7EDBC5.jpeg

37BE0903-B39D-4998-9742-8391CFFD299D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    T. Guppy, GaryG and Innocent159 like this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Hope others chime in too!

10. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

@A new day see if you can find the Zetlight perspex light mounts.
    They raise the light about 10cm and can be angled.
    I use 1 light on each tank, and they are certainly bright enough for most plants.

20200320_104400.jpg

A new day likes this.
  11. A new day

A new day

Thanks @Pezulu that’s great and should solve my problem!

12. A new day

A new day

@RBM AQUATICS carries stock of these Zetlight perspex mounts. Not super expensive either, will defs get a set.

J’den likes this.
  13. OP
    J’den

J’den

Just a small update I’ll do a longer update in the morning but I couldn’t help myself during their last feed of the day.
    This is one of the new fish in the tank, just over three months old. Having such high maintenance fish during this time has been a godsend for my sainting. It’s great to see them start to colour up.
    [​IMG]

JimmyHD, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  14. A new day

A new day

Beautiful!

J’den likes this.
  15. OP
    J’den

J’den

So Iv been meaning to do this for awhile, the update on the tank.

While doing the last feed of the night I couldn’t resist yet again to take photos of all the fish in the tank although hard to do especially when the feeding zoomies happen it’s been great to see how all of the fish from my white clouds to the khulis are growing really fast and looking in better shape than ever before.

Since the last post and seemingly endless Otto problem that seems to have been solved. Iv added 18 juvenile discus.

My only gripe currently with the tank is the ongoing destruction of the carpet I keep on trying to establish which I’m sure you’ll see in these photos. The khulis and cories do their best to uproot and or cover the Monte Carlo with as much dirt as possible to the point where I got a huge surprise to find a massive patch of the stuff growing under a single layer of dirt but soon after I uncovered the carpet trying to take hold the fish did their best to recover it.

I do know that all discus are not created equal but I thought that a good way to sharpen my teeth and get a good feel for them would be this way. While not going the traditional bare bottom route I’m maintaining my between 8 and 10 feedings a day for now while they’re young which is a varied mix of foods, that all the fish seem to enjoy and are growing to show it. As well the water change and testing regime is quite strict. However if anyone has any advice or questions for anything related to the tank or it’s inhabitants please just shoot.

Iv been looking at many different BH recipes and have come up more or less with a idea of how I want to structure my mix but especially if anyone has a recipe that they use or believe firmly in let me know.

On the potential list of things that I want to do to this tank is still the LED conversion that would have ideally happened before lockdown but didn’t.

I do realize that 18+ everyone else is a large number for a tank of this size but with a rather strict regime of water parameter checks, water changes, additional filter added and the prospect of either a FX5 or 6 or a large biofilter of my own design that’s going to be added I have very little fear regarding my water quality.

With moving house happening at the end of the month Iv been lucky enough to have the privilege of designing my new fish station/stand/room so my idea is to have all the tanks and bowls in one consolidated area it’s just a case of making it fit and unfortunately for now I cannot take the measurements for where I want to put this damn thing because I can’t drive there. Besides all the negatives from this lockdown I still hope everyone is managing to stay positive and safe. I look forward to hearing any advice/criticisms or feedback especially regarding the possible upgrades on the tank.
    [​IMG]
    The white clouds only three out of the eleven that call this scape home. A very large female that’s out of focus.

[​IMG]
    One of the six hungry noodles in the tank that as I watch them daily just makes me smile more and more because watching them grow and become more adventurous has been fantastic. There is also a very large brown hungry noodle that refused to be photographed due to the zoomies.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the Venezuela’s that has nearly doubled in size since I got it. The two Venezuelan cories fell right into line with their bronze friends but the sterbais don’t seem to happy to constantly mingle with all of them.
    [​IMG]
    The entire scape as of tonight looking rather neglected which from a plant maintenance point of view it has been but this is a good shot to show you what I’m talking about when I say the carpet is getting buried.
    [​IMG]

This is also one of the eighteen whose been slowly colouring up nicely, rather annoyingly not swimming with fins fully extended because they chose to skim along the bottoms in the shot but whose blues are coming along nicely.

[​IMG]
    This poor angel whose been fitting in rather nicely with the discus but sadly lost his three friends during the Otto crisis. This angel eats like mad and has been growing like he’s been eating, it’s rather ridiculous.
    [​IMG]
    This was the scape when the paradise fish where still present. I’m posting this so you can see what the carpet looked like before the uncovering/replant. [​IMG]
    This was the carpet before getting covered again and uprooted by the fantastic cories and khulis.

Innocent159, Logz, JimmyHD and 2 others like this.
  16. A new day

A new day

It looks beautiful! Congrats @J’den :thumbup:
    The deep tank full of healthy plants that just go on forever must be something to see in real life!

You also managd to get some great shots of your beautiful fish, do you have any photography tips?

17. Logz

Logz

Looks epic! Perfect time to let the plants grow out too so you can try shaping them as you want good luck with the new Fishroom designs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts