Jden’s 450ltr

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by J’den, Feb 10, 2020.

1. J’den

J’den

The 450ltr tank
    Parts
    Boyu EFU-45 canister filter
    12kg Co2
    Ehiem 300W
    Small random filter to circulate Co2
    Odysea double T5
    Odysea quad T5
    Small air pump for night hours when.

which has been the most interesting purely because of the incredibly long road to get it how it is.
    First it was the initial layout and start of the tank which I let sit and cycle without fish for around 2 months.
    Then happily adding fish that met my requirements and then running though the usual problem associated with stocking a tank without going through proper procedure, specifically quarantine of new stock which to this day is causing problems for me but I’m figuring it out.
    The major issue that I’m still trying to recover was from having to dose No planeria to get rid of Hydra and months and many water changes later I need to get some purigen and active carbon to remove the last traces of it.

[​IMG]

Pic 1
    Buying and setting up the tank and realizing these blue LEDs unfortunately will not work.

[​IMG]

Pic 2
    Creating the base layers in the tank using pfs and leca to achieve the gradient I wanted

[​IMG]

Pic 3
    Plotting the initial hard scape and hopefully planted areas which I now realize definitely hasn’t stayed the same.

[​IMG]

Pic 4 after setting up the hardscape figuring out the actual planting.

[​IMG]

Pic 5 finished planting the first carpet ideal of pearl weed just melted away completely.

[​IMG]

Pic 6 after the melting of the pearl weed the addition of dwarf sag as a foreground plant and a few small pieces of giant baby tears both from @A new day

[​IMG]

Pic 7 two more plants added, the centre red stems and Indian water weed.

[​IMG]

Pic 8 removed the dwarf sag because it was growing to tall and decided to try a only baby tears carpet.

[​IMG]

Pic 9 coming home to tank after three weeks of not being there to find a problem I never had before Algae.

[​IMG]

Pic 10 most current photo, trying to get the Monte Carlo to grow in and re shuffled lots.

Any comments, criticisms, points and or advice would be hugely appreciated. Just battling with poor connectivity to upload the other tanks.

Phoenix89, JimmyHD, T. Guppy and 4 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Stunning tank! Great to see pics at long last :thumbup:

Pics 7 and 8 especially show how lush and healthy your plants are under normal circumstances! Beautiful red colour from CO2. All those fast growing stems are probably awesome at keeping the nitrates low?

Really like the reconfiguration, post another pic in a week’s time please :) How about some crypts in the midground?

I love how wide this tank is front to back - what are the tank dimensions?

The Paradise fish are beautiful. Perky Pets got in lots of them recently.

Re quarantine- yes after 2 earlier serious outbreaks/losses from introducing unquarantined fish into my display tank I now have a QT. And give all new plants a bleach dip.

J’den likes this.
  4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Very nice tank.
    Looks fantastic :thumbup:

J’den likes this.
  5. Logz

Logz

That looks awesome, love the way you showed the progress! Glad you got the algae sorted too, not a fun process, especially after being away and just wanting to sit and have a watch of you slice of nature!

J’den likes this.
  6. OP
    J’den

J’den

Thanks for the kind comments @A new day , @Reedfish and @Logz

I’d love to get some crypts or something similar to a bucephalandra Sp brownie fire bird. It sounds like a plan when I get the money, I’ll just need to anchor them to rocks or something if I get the Buces.

The tanks 120x60x60.

My nitrates so far are undetectable to my eyes using the SERA test kit, I do a 25% WC once a week and that seems to keep everything in check so far.

I’m glad perky has some in I might see if they have any large females in I’ll swing by tomorrow.

Re your mention of quarantine Iv got something rather funny to post when I post about my other tanks.

Any advice on the dosing of ferts? Iv got My flourish, excel, nitrogen and phosphorus but haven’t really been using it recently ( last couple months) because everything seems to be happy so far but there’s always a improvement to be made.

[​IMG]

Pic 11
    You can see the battle I’m fighting with large variety or Algae so a trim of pieces heavily effected and the aggressively fast growing rotala is going to happen after this post and I’m going to introduce my two bristlenose Plecos from one of the other tanks to potentially see what they can do while I wait for my order of ottos.
    Those weird floating masses if they’re ever seen are these Riccia fluitans rafts of which theres 4 biggest being 20 plus a few cms long and 16 plus wide. Anyone have ideas on what to do with it or how to place it.

Logz, MariaS and A new day like this.
  7. A new day

A new day

Loving it, looks great! Fantastic :thumbup:
    Yes something for the midground would round it off perfectly.
    With the riccia - one option is to wrap it around a stone with mesh from a shower loofah. I’ve posted a vid under the Aquascaping inspiration from the internet thread a couple of weeks ago.

Amazing new growth from previous pic to this one. Re ferts If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    Ottos, nerites, ramshorns, trumpets and perhaps amanos if your paradise fish will allow. Perhaps 2 SAE’s. Should help you along with the algae.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    J’den likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Absolutely stunning @J' den!!

J’den likes this.
  9. JimmyHD

JimmyHD

Good post. I have a similar sized tank and I love seeing what creative choices other people make with their tanks. Keep the updates coming!

J’den likes this.
  10. OP
    J’den

J’den

Will post photos again soon, just have run into a problem where any and all help would be appreciated.
    Since changing a few factors Iv experiencing fish ranging from three of my angels, 7 ottos, one of my sterbais and 4 of my beloved khulis just dying without explanation.

My readings are as follows
    Ph-6,5
    Nitrates 0
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia >0,5 and should be back at 0 in the morning after WC and slightly larger dose of prime.
    Iron basically non existent
    Copper 0
    TDS 272
    Temperature constant 25 since updating my heaters switching cycle.

The factors that have changed are:
    Standard water change.
    Cleaned out my filter.
    Started injecting C02 again.
    Added Ottos (wildcaught).
    Starting feeding hikari sinking wafers.
    Added lots more snails which mostly got pecked off my fish in the main tank the snails in the other tanks are still fine.

What do you think is killing my fish, my parameters don’t seem that out of whack to me? Any advice.

11. A new day

A new day

Hi @J’den so sorry about your losses...

I recently had issues with ottos carrying diseases. 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought 4 of which 3 have died in QT from amongst other things ich - the QT tank is still under treatment and in lockdown. This batch was really very sick, I’m sure I would’ve had a wipe out in the 180L if I introduced them directly.

Just before that got 2 ottos and 1 died in QT.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    J’den likes this.
  12. JimmyHD

JimmyHD

Hmmm, sad news. I would suspect disease or a cycle crash. Any ammonia is worrying, but that reading doesn't seem very high. Any idea of the source?

Perhaps some weird disease is more likely. I don't have any experience with wild-caught fish so can't really comment. But did have a similar experience a few weeks back when I bought some fish (including two ottos, incidentally) from a local fish shop. It all started with whitespot which is treatable enough, but then morphed into some weird scale fungus, so I think I got multiple diseases. Raised the temperature and dosed for a few days (nearly a week, actually) with Paraguard and things slowly normalised.

Hope you come right.

J’den and A new day like this.
  13. A new day

A new day

I missed the ammonia reading of >0,5. Perhaps test your tap water?
    Tested mine about 2 days ago and was 0

And perhaps add some Stability in case the filter clean wiped out some of the beneficial bacteria?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    J’den likes this.
  14. DarylA

DarylA

An ammonia reading and no nitrate reading indicates a cycle crash.

How exactly did you go about cleaning out your filter?

J’den likes this.
  15. OP
    J’den

J’den

The ammonia is suspect was due to the amount of dead fish that appeared over 36hrs.
    First the ottos experienced a massive die of the 7 within 24hrs as well as my snails being eaten or dying even tho they where drip acclimated for basically a whole day with the addition of a air stone to keep oxygen levels up in the acclamation station. During this time one of my angels died.

After the extensive death I did a water change and cleaned my filter. The cleaning of the filter involves me rinsing my purfilterum and carbon then washing out my sponge media to remove the solid debris whilst leaving all my ceramic bio rings and bio balls untouched. This is how Iv been cleaning my filters for a long time.

Then I added my C02 again keeping it at safe levels but today I’m going to go get a new drop checker.
    Note whilst injecting C02 there’s oxygen added to the tank as well via a very large air curtain running at low pressure, I do know this makes the C02 less effective but I haven’t rigged my air pump to cycle out completely just yet because I’m looking for a convenient place to put the pump to prevent the back pressure draining water out of the tank. At night the C02 cycles out and the air pump carries on at a high volume.

I start feeding the new hikari wafers.

This is where I see my khulis and a sterbai dead.

If it is a cycle crash I can’t understand why.
    I will do more tests when I get home.
    I hope this timeline helps.

A new day likes this.
  16. A new day

A new day

It’s not the food. I’ve been using them as part of the mix for a long time. Hikari is great.

Good luck @J’den this sucks and certainly some detective work needed.

J’den likes this.
  17. OP
    J’den

J’den

[mention]A new day [/mention] Iv only been using Hikari for a while and got really excited when I realized I can get a wafer “designed” for my khulis and cories that I hoped would be better than the other wafers that they where eating.

A new day likes this.
  18. JimmyHD

JimmyHD

Yeah, I don't think it's the food (unless you fed them the whole packet at once). I use Hikari and I think it's excellent.

19. OP
    J’den

J’den

Definitely not! I’ll run more tests when I get home, the only reason I listed the food as a change was the fact that it got introduced when all the problems started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  20. A new day

A new day

May very well be sick ottos then...

21. OP
    J’den

J’den

To remedy this do I just ride the storm out with water changes etc or is there a additive like stability etc that I could use? Or one you would recommend? Thanks

Recent Posts