JBL PRO SCAN

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by f-fish, Jul 4, 2017.

1. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Best news I have had in the hobby in a while ... yes JBL is now being imported into SA ... I have been very fortunate to get my paws on the JBL PRO SCAN. Oh yes they are also landing substrate, fertz, medicine, CO2 kit etc. So go and ask your LFS when they expect to have stock of the important bits of the JBL range.

https://www.jbl.de/en/proscan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I first need to go and read the manual at +-R20 a strip it is not to be messed with everyday ;-) - This has the possibility of being a game changer for people like myself that are colour dumb / blind.

Will post some results a bit later.

Later Ferdie

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Got side tracked, the App is easy to install and requires minimal access ( 04/07/2017 ) so I am happy to run this on more than one device. What is nice, and I am sure things will only improve, the data is synced to some degree across all your device and the https://www.jbl.de/en/useraquarium/my-analyses dashboard.

upload_2017-7-4_19-37-23.png

So best I get started with my testing.

Later Ferdie

4. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

First tests one can do without any test strips - sounds weird but this is what I did. Now in both samples A and B for test 1 I am happy to see the same (base values) since they are just repeat scans but different profiles saved under tap water vs aquarium analysis.

A
    upload_2017-7-4_20-25-30.png
    B
    upload_2017-7-4_20-26-38.png

For sample A 1 and 2 and B 1 and 2 the difference is the device that the sample was taken with ... the A1 and B1 are done with a J7 Prime and A2 B2 with an original Note 8 - so camera quality could have an impact - then again the note 8 is very old and the scans are noticeable darker than expected.

The difference between Sample A1 and A3 - both taken with the J7 - but the light sources differ both 6500k led - the one 9 watt the other 6 watt. So light intensity seems to be well managed.

Now to do some real tests.

Later Ferdie

5. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Interesting results - since I have nothing to compare it to it must be true :)

upload_2017-7-4_21-20-1.png

My water is from the counter filter .. so I suppose this low a pH is very possible.

upload_2017-7-4_21-21-43.png

upload_2017-7-4_21-23-55.png

Ouch .. NO3 seems a bit high.

upload_2017-7-4_21-26-14.png

Really - how is it possible that anything is living in 500mg/l NO3

Clearly I need to go to Lifestyle and test one of the display tanks, and see how it compares to the fancy test kits they have.

BTW the app makes it look way more scary.

upload_2017-7-4_21-28-24.png

Later Ferdie

upload_2017-7-4_21-21-35.png

6. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Seeing how you like your gagets, on your tanks, and seeing everything in 1 place this is actually awesome. Will follow to see how this develops

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

It is rather cool, must agree. I am not 100% sure on the accuracy at this stage, not that I am about the numbers - but I can see how people (myself included) would become obsessed by chasing the numbers.

Must say .. JBL should probably give these strips with every product you purchase. It is such a good marketing tool on your phone.

upload_2017-7-5_5-17-27.pngupload_2017-7-5_5-16-25.png

That said ... the WC advice is practical and something one can do without having to rush out and buy more additives. Now the shrimp tank has never since it had the last substrate replacement had a real WC and it shows. So I will be doing some WC on it, actually already did a 10% on it this morning.

Later Ferdie

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  8. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Very nice informative info you get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

How about an update

10. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I use it only when I think things have gone pear and a good old WC does not solve the problem. My go to is actually the TDS meter these days - the rest is do not fight your tank ;-).

Carbon and chlorine readings never seem to correlate to what I think it should be, for what it is I like the idea - see others are doing it also, but the buy this to fix that can get a bit much.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts