Is there Anyone who has bred with Gourami's

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Ladysphinx, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

So I got myself a couple of Gourami's and even though they are young I'm considering to try and breed them. My main focus will be my Pearl Gourami's. I have read up a bit on breeding but there isn't a lot of detail in these articles. Maybe someone can help me through the process.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Pearls are bubble nest egg layers.
    You need a well planted tank for the pair to do their thing with minimal water flow.
    Apparently the fry are really tiny when they hatch, so need some sort of infusoria to start off with.
    And egg batches can be quite big, so you need a lot of growing on tanks.

4. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

From my research I have gathered that. I already have most of that sorted. I will be working on what to feed the fry once I get to the point I plan to breed. My tanks are all very well planted and include floating plants. I do this to help keep nitrates as low as possible without skipping wc of course. I have found it helps when feeding fry often and it does help to encourage good growth in the fry

5. Uzayr

Uzayr

I've bred them as well as many other gouramis before, they are really easy and breed regularly if they are well fed and in ideal what conditions, I keep temperature at 28 degrees and pH and 6.5, isolate the pair in a 2 foot or even 1 foot tank, I do this when the female is really fat and the male starts nudging her, egg tube of the female will be visible when the time is right, oh BTW males have a pointed top fin while females have a rounded one, an airstone is good enough and you'll want to place it in a corner so it does not cause too much surface disruption as the gouramis are bubble nest builders, one the bubble nest is made and the eggs are laid remove the pair and add methalyne blue to preserve the eggs, they should hatch in a day or 2 and fees them crushed flakes initially, this applies to all gourami species except kissing gouramis which I have yet to breed, hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my PRA-LA1 using Tapatalk

Dolphin likes this.
  6. Lanner

Lanner

It's been a while since I bred gouramis (90's) but I'm sure they still do it the same way
    Best advice I can give you is floating plants low or no surface agitation and good food.
    The rest you've been told by the others already.
    There is tons of material on breeding bettas just follow that and you can't really go wrong the process is similar in all bubble nesters. Get hold of some microworms or start a infosoria culture fry does best on those and change to brine shrimp after a week but keep feeding the small stuff for another week in addition to bbs.
    Good luck.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

7. finatic

finatic

Hi just had my paradise fish spawn so thrilled. You need to feed live food and get pair in condition. Basically I think the same for all labyrinths bubble nesters. Slow water moments etc. Has anyone have any live cultures for sale I have micro worm but need other types .

8. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

My Pearl Gourami fry at 11 Weeks.
    I have tried to count them but I haven't been very sucsuccessful. There's around 30 - 40 of them.

Fish-38.jpg Fish-39.jpg Fish-41.jpg Fish-42.jpg Fish-43.jpg Fish-44.jpg Fish-45.jpg

I have also recently bred my blue and golden gourami together. After a serious mistake the female ate most of the eggs but around 20 fry suvived

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Ladysphinx

Looking good. The youngsters have done well for you

Ladysphinx likes this.
  10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Congratulations @Ladysphinx !!

They are quite big already.... very nice..

Ladysphinx likes this.
  11. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

They have Reedfish. When I started my journey to breeding Gouramis I was actually told I'm wasting my time to breed them but after some research I found out the prosess is much like breeding Bettas. With the help of a renowned betta breeder I was able to keep the fry alive and growing well.
    I couldn't find Baby brine Shrimp so I raised them on egg yolk without any issue at all. I'm hoping to soon get some microworms and grindle worms which will be a lot less harder on the water quality. I gave also been culturing mosquito larvae in enough numbers that I have frozen some but found the bigger gourami fry prefer the live mozzy larvae even though they still eat the frozen ones.

Reedfish likes this.
  12. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Thx Maria

MariaS likes this.
  13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

When I used to breed fish, I used egg yolk extensively.
    Mainly for the convenience - much easier than dealing with worms.
    But as you say, it does effect water quality.

14. finatic

finatic

Can I get some pearl gouramis of you. What will they go for

Ladysphinx likes this.
  15. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Once they sexed and I will sell them for 30 rand each

16. finatic

finatic

OK let me know

17. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Ok was will let you know.

18. OP
    Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

My Blue and Golden Gourami mix fry. They are about 3 weeks old now and staring to show some yellow.
    I made a mistake while breeding them and left the female in to long she started to eat some fry and only a few survived. I counted 21 yesterday as I moved them in with my guppy fry that is around the same size.

IMG-20180227-WA0029.jpg IMG-20180227-WA0031.jpg IMG-20180227-WA0033.jpg IMG-20180227-WA0035.jpg IMG-20180227-WA0037.jpg

19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Ladysphinx

Will be interesting to see how these turn out.

Recent Posts