Internal Parasite Treatment?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DarylA, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DarylA

DarylA

Hi Forum, what is a good/readily available general treatment for internal parasites?

2. Guest

3. Skye01

Skye01

@DarylA, I use Interpet Anti-Internal Bacteria when I start picking up problems, and I find that it works a charm you can get it from PM or you can go to Lollilocks, I've seen he has a different anti internal bacteria treatment , but it's more expensive.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Khalid

Khalid Loricariidae

for what fish?

5. OP
    DarylA

DarylA

@Skye01. Thank you for that, I will check both out! @Khalid. My GBR female.

6. Altum

Altum Sponsor

@DarylA
    Just a few concerns
    How do you KNOW it's a parasite?
    Also, How do you suppose, an ANTIBACTERIAL will affect a parasite?
    and as Khalid has mentioned, don't medicate unless you have at least informed as to what fish to begin with..

I understand you may be against the clock...BUT you should at least get input on the diagnosis
    That can be based on observations and other members can help you a lot there!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. OP
    DarylA

DarylA

@Altum. I completely agree with your concerns. To answer your questions, I don't know it is a parasite, it is merely one possibility amongst many. Secondly, I was not familiar with the meds mentioned and simply 'checked them out' as opposed to 'rushed out and bought' them. I posted my question as an enquiry into what medications are readily available to treat internal parasites should that prove to be the problem. I am investigating all possibilities. I would never medicate at a whim, especially since I am fully aware of how sensitive GBR are to medication. I was pushed for time (work) yesterday so I did not complete the disease questionnaire but will do so today. I look forward to your and all other input. I think you are dead right in mentioning that all input is valuable. Also, a genuine thanks for your genuine concern.

8. Skye01

Skye01

@DarylA, the meds to look at if you are sure that it is parasites is the one available from Loolilocks, I need to get some because some of the fish in my 6ft tank seem to have "worms" (Camallanus Nematodes) as I have seen the tell-tail "red 'paintbrush' of worms protruding from the vent." In some cases an emaciated appearance is also a symptom.

It could also be wasting disease & fish tuberculosis... The symptoms seem to be a hollow-bellied appearance, with coincidental loss of appetite and loss of colour.

If you go to PM at all, they have a book called 'The Interpet Manual of Fish Health' have a quick look through it to see if you can spot the symptoms and the suggested method of treatment. I wouldn't recommend buying the book unless you are a serious fish keeper (it set me back a cool R250, but it's something I refer to if I see something off with my fish)

HTH

P.S. Sorry to sound stupid but what is a GBR? I've run all sorts of fish through my mind and I still can't figure it out...

9. OP
    DarylA

DarylA

@Skye01 Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated! I work in Boksburg so I will pay PM a visit. Lol, GBR is German Blue Ram.

10. Skye01

Skye01

@DarylA, I'm glad if I can help you out... Lollilocks also has an Anti-Internal Bacterial food that they sell. I give it to my fish at least once a week to help sort out all the 'good flora' in their systems. That is the way I understand it to work.

Thanks for the description, you've had me puzzled since yesterday...:p

Recent Posts