importing fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cayman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cayman

cayman

does anyone know if there is any red tape when importing tropicals? do you need any special permits for importing to south africa?

2. Guest

3. veegal

veegal

Welcome to TASA cayman.

I would imagine that if you posted a little bit about yourself in the new member section, you may have a better response to this question, rather than this being your first post? Just a thought, but unfortunately I do know know the answer to this question. :blink1::bigsmile:

4. solex69

solex69

Ola

Henk and citybowl can give you some tips on importing fish.

Cheers
    Dale

5. sarf

sarf

Hi cayman.importing fish can sometimes be more effort than it's worth..unless you are bringing in alot of fish,the logistics,paperwork and freight costs sometimes means the fish work out more expensive than buying locally..obviously it also depends on the types of fish..i wanted to import wild tanganyikans..due to min size orders from exporters,exchange rates and freight..5boxes would have cost me R30-40 GRAND

6. OP
    cayman

cayman

Thanks for all your help guys-
    My main concern is ordering a large order of fish and some beaurocratic nonsense coming up at the airport that prevents me from taking delivery and hence losing the stock.

7. Zafgak

Zafgak Old fart

Hi Cayman - take Veegals advice :blink1: :bigsmile:

To answer yuour question - first check that they are not on the blacklist.
    Second you need permits from fiosheries department. This is gonna set you back about R280 per permit, depending.
    Then you need the customms clearance, and you need pre-clearance for wildlife..

That is the start of the RED tape..

8. Rowland

Rowland

Permit from Nature Conservation giving you permission to import certain White List species. Permit from the Department of Agriculture stating similar. Health Certificate from the Supplier stating that certain lurgies are not present. Clearing agent needs all of this to take it through customs. Inspectors open boxes at the airport to check that all tallies. Its a very frustrating and scary process, even if it goes well.

9. Altum

Altum Sponsor

Why worry?

:dito:
    What they ALL said

Hello!
    Are you commercial?
    A collector of specific stuff?

It would help to start there.

By answering a few questions about yourself and your intentions ... the more (info) the merrier!

Nobody volunteers as much info as hobbyists.....Rowland is right on those accounts !

And stock confiscation plus destruction IS A REALITY!!
    It happens too often, for a various number of reasons...some of them being red tape and legalities. You jeopardise ANY future attempts too!

THOSE issues aside.
    Are you able, and capable of housing, feeding, quarantine, and treating said "large order of fish" ?

Why not pay a premium and get SMALLER AMOUNTS OF ITEMS YOU REALLY WANT from known, reliable, importers of sought-after specimens, or do you have other motivations ?

'nuff said

10. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

All has been said. sorry for the lack of a proper reply. i'm in europe at the moment and cant really hang around on the forum at the moment

Recent Posts