Ideas for new Fish room?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Wickets, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Wickets

Wickets Scalare

Hi,

I just bought a new house, and I will be fitting a room of about 4m x 5m as a fish room. I will be doing the following, but I am looking for new ideas before I start:
    1) A open drain system will be cut into the floor for easy water changes. (Fitted with a water trap to conserve heat.)
    2) The whole room will be lined with 50mm polistyrene.
    3) There is an existing chimney, so I will fit a coal or gas heater, even if its just for emergencies.
    4) Alternate roof sheets will be replaced with clear fibreglass.
    The room is not part of the house, so damp is not a problem. Please let those ideas roll in before I begin. (Probably in 2 months time.)

2. Guest

3. Zebra Pleco

Zebra Pleco Administrator

I'm no scientist, but that sounds like a bit of a risk to me, open flames consume a lot of oxygen, and with being in a closed room this may considerably reduce the oxygen content in the room thereby affecting your ph in your tank water. Just something to think about, I may be completely wrong. I have read of guys in colder countries that actually have air stones pulling air in from outside the house due to the high co2 content within the house because of the central heating and the windows and doors being closed all day every day.

a LOT of your heat is lost through the roof, so I would advise insulating as much of it as you can.

4. OP
    Wickets

Wickets Scalare

@Zebra Pleco. The only reason why I am considering the coal or gas heater, is because of the chimney. The updraught through the chimney should remove any carbon monoxide created by the heater. Co2 should not be a problem, as the room will also double as an orchid house. The roof will also be insulated with 50mm polistyrene, except for the fibreglass, which will be double glazed. I agree that there might be some oxygen starvation, because of the oxygen consumed by the flame. I will have to give this a lot more thought. Thanks for mentioning this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Zebra Pleco

Zebra Pleco Administrator

Cool, looking forward to watching your progress on this one. :)

6. Good_Times

Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

Mhmm since you will be installing a bottem drain, you might as well seal of all the walls with pond sealant, install a large pane of glass in the entrance and viola, a giant fishtank :bigsmile:.

How will you be heating the room, or are you just going to heat the fish tank water?

7. OP
    Wickets

Wickets Scalare

My current system works quite well. I have a overflow in each tank, with a central heating and filter system. Warm water is pumped back to the tanks. I run a normal (hard) water system at 26 degrees, and a seperate soft water system at 30 degrees. For breeding, temp is raised as required in each tank, with normal 50W-100W Aquarium heaters. Each tank is also fitted with a sponge filter, and can be isolated from the system at any stage, by blocking the inlet jet. (For breeding, treatment, etc.). The room as such is not heated, but does become warm.

8. BigFish

BigFish

@Wickets . you opened a can of worms. Where is the pics for you current setup :viking: or is it very hush hush

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    Wickets

Wickets Scalare

I'll place pics as I proceed with the new room. No, its not hush hush, more like rush rush!

10. BigFish

BigFish

no i meant pics of the "old" room. Point me somewhere

11. OP
    Wickets

Wickets Scalare

The old room was a rush job. Anyway, the passage is so narrow, I have to go out to change my mind. Can't fit a camera in there! But you're welcome to come have a look if you only need some pointers! (It's not far from you, on the other end of the M2)

12. BigFish

BigFish

Thanks .No fish room for now. Moving around kinda stops all long term projects.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  13. OP
    Wickets

Wickets Scalare

Recent Posts