ID white blotches growing on glass

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by A new day, Jul 21, 2019.

1. A new day

A new day

This morning I noticed weird white blotches growing on the inside of the glass in my 65L. They weren't there yesterday, and they kind of look ominous.

The inhabitants (dwarf gourami, neon tetra, snails and cherry shrimp look fine). Difficult to say if all the shrimp are accounted for as I usually only see a couple out and about during the day. Also 5 small platy fry growing out in this tank - fine.

Last week I was also shocked to find hydra growing on the glass one morning. I imagine they came with the cherry shrimp? Luckily the gourami chomped them all, I also wiped the glass and did a water change. Seemed to sort out the problem. Could today's blotches be related to hydra?

Can anyone help ID?

white blotches 2.jpg

white blotches 1.jpg

2. Guest

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

I don't think these blotches is not related to the hydra. Also don't think the shrimp are to blame for the hydra, if I remember right it's more likely to be the snails that introduced it to your aquarium.

The blotches might be some form of bacterial algae growth, but then again I might be totally wrong.

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    A new day

A new day

5. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

It's bio film. The same stuff that grows on your bio media. If left on the glass or on sponges it will create excessive NO3 so wiping the glass down every once in a while is the way to go. I need to wipe once a week to keep it at bay. It also grows in your filter pipes. Also check your feeding, over feeding is the main cause of this growth. With discus raising you have to feed a lot of protein so I have to wipe more frequently on the grow out tanks, no way around that one for me.

Toy and A new day like this.
  6. OP
    A new day

A new day

Thank you @BoelderBeestie
    Perfect, now I know what I'm dealing with. I forgot to mention that I also cleaned my filter (in dirty tank water), and it was a bit filthy as you mentioned.
    I am definitely a heavy feeder, at least I'm not in denial about it like many others are :lol: so that is also spot on.
    It seems as if my 65L needs weekly water changes, but so far the 180L seems fine with every second week.

The odd thing is that the nitrates in this tank (and my new tank, mind you) test 10 like clockwork these days.

7. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Plants are awesome. On my planted tanks I'm getting 0 NO3 and do monthly water changes of 40%. No more is needed.

A new day likes this.
  8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

What are you testing with?

9. OP
    A new day

A new day

Currently only Sera liquid test kits for pH, Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I have had higher nitrates before, I don’t think (hope not) that I’m not picking up on things due to unreliable testing... But always possible! Also basically zero algae in the tanks at the moment.

At some point also used JBL Proscan testing system which is awesome (and correlated with Sera) but I ran out. A bit on the pricey side too. Bought normal JBL test strips but not using them at all. As an experiment I used all 3 to test water at the same time, and jbl test strips were way out so I don’t have much confidence in them.

What do you use / recommend?

Hendre likes this.
  10. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Liquid tests are best! When you can pick up an earthy smell then nitrates are high. Honestly if water changes are kept up you must only test if you think that something is up.

A new day likes this.
  11. OP
    A new day

A new day

Thanks! I’m still testing very regularly at this point because a) my tanks are young b) I’m a newbie and c) have been gradually stocking them so want to make sure that all is well, but reckon I’ll ease off on the testing once the tanks have matured a bit.

MariaS and Hendre like this.
  12. OP
    A new day

A new day

@BoelderBeestie thanks!
    I cut down on feeding, did another gravel vac (a lot less gunk this time), and yesterday added lots of root plants (swords and crypts) to help suck up gunk. Hopefully all of this will help reduce the problem and make for a lower maintenance and more balanced tank.

13. AmithS

AmithS

Ive learnt that over feeding is one of the biggest contributors to poor water quality and algae in tanks. At least in my case.

I always had a 1000L till a while ago when my Arowana past on.
    Now I have a 60L, 90L & 260L planted. Took some getting used to and playing around to get the right balance. Still playing with things to improve and keep maintenance to a minimum, of all the tweaks - cutting down on feeding has definitely yielded the best results on tank health and maintenance...

Had to realise my new fishy friends dont eat as much as my Arowana used too ...

MariaS and A new day like this.
  14. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, my hand can be heavy also when feeding time comes.

AmithS and A new day like this.
  15. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Excellent, lets see how she runs now. Should be much healthier with the added plants.

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts