ID needed: have two freshwater puffers

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Jayswizzles, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Jayswizzles

Jayswizzles

Hi guys, as per the picture below, I have two fresh water puffers (supposedly pea puffers)

1) grey blue with not as clear black dots (used to be the smaller of the two)
    2) green with black pronounced spots

the grey blue puffer keeps chasing the green one away, find myself having to feed them in separate spots in this 36L tank.

any idea if they are the same species, why would their color be different? and are they perhaps two males?
    upload_2020-8-19_20-10-51.png

2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

@SalmonAfrica
    The one on the right looks like a pea. Not sure about the other one

4. OP
    Jayswizzles

Jayswizzles

I agree, the one on the right I was sure is a pea...its the left one that has me fathomed.

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

If you look closely at the base colouration of the blue-grey fish (as in where the black pigmentation sits), it matches up with your classic pea puffer. I haven't seen them being "off-colour" like that before, though. The sexes can differ in colour slightly, but usually in belly colour that I noticed in mature males.

The next closest species is Carinotetraodon imitator - give that a Google and see. I don't think yours quite matches up here, but you can see your fish much more clearly than we can.

My next best guess for the blue/grey is excessive slime coating, which could be brought on by stress, disease, or injury.

JoJo the Hammer and Reedfish like this.
  6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Puffers love to scrap, so the aggression is not unheard of. The 4 Greenspots at the gardens where I volunteer always squabble over food.

7. JoJo the Hammer

JoJo the Hammer

I'm almost 100% sure they are both pea puffers. In my limited experience with pea puffers I can tell you that more prominent spotting usually means male puffer and the other may be a larger/older female or a male with a lighter colouring.Maybe?. Pea puffers can show extreme aggression. My friend's male has killed 5 smaller puffers in the matter of a day or two. They can get about 3cm+ and super aggro. Maybe put them in a 45/60l with loads of plant cover OR separate them into two tanks. Also make sure food is plentiful to keep the aggro one occupied. They can be very territorial if they are both males.

8. OP
    Jayswizzles

Jayswizzles

Thank you so much for the replies....sorry I am only replying now. I have added more plants....have given them lots of hiding space...seems only during eating they lose it haha

Recent Posts