I am a father

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Lizid, May 21, 2010.

1. TroyFish

TroyFish

Not anymore

Agg just this unknown team in blue. Stormers are going to win.

Hi jack ALERT!!!!!!! sorry....

2. Guest

3. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

Ok back to my fry now people

4. TroyFish

TroyFish

Whats cooking?

5. oscar freak

oscar freak

lol ok lizid i'm gonna google them and see how they look while i wait for pics

6. Irma

Irma Guppymad

I'll probably be interested in a pair so please keep me in mind.

7. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

Irma's got dont you lol?
    I will glady let you have a pair at the same price of the Guppies I got from you ;-)

oh and next time you need to get rid of some cambodia I need some again Mine all died lol..

8. Irma

Irma Guppymad

Yes, but I won't mind another pair - really cool fish!

PM sent

9. Dasher

Dasher Convict

Can i buy a pair when they are old enough?,aslong as they don't destroy plants like my convicts.

10. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

Dasher you can yes...

11. Dasher

Dasher Convict

Ok,will come buy them as soon as my other tank is done,i think 4 of them would do fine with one of my less aggressive female convicts.

12. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

lol ok thats cool Dasher but let me see how many survive...

13. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

OK Guys I now am confused and excited at the same time...

Over the weekend, I sat and spend some time with my Tanks and noticed that the mother of my fry was frantic as ussual... but this time a little more than normal, She is swimming up and down and all around but kinda stucking to the one spot front left of my tank by the Drift wood...

I have a nice close look and count 13 Fry that I could see.

So most of your orders are safe lol...

But the interestinf thing was that I found some egg sacks on the floor all in one corner, as I was watching them I noticed that they moved every now and then...

I looked reallt close - only to find SHE HAS LAID MORE EGGS and they hatched already...
    Guys is this normal for a female to lay this many egg in such a short space of time?

This morning I had a look and she was chasing 2-3cm fry around the tank to get them back to the rest of the FRY!!!

As far as I know the Guppies are live bearers so now eggs so this must be the Dwarfs again!

Correct me if I am wrong please...

14. Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

I have a pair of Agassizii 'Red Gold', and they will spawn every two weeks like clockwork!! So it very possibly is eggs that she's laid....

If they are at the 'Wrigglers' stage, then she would have laid them around 4-6 days ago! So it looks more likely that she laid over the course of a day or two rather than all at once if the first fry are only a day or two old?? Otherwise, these original babies are around two weeks old already??

The fry for my Agassizii turn from the clear whitish colour to brown after just a few days, so have you any idea when this occured??

Cheers
    G!

Oh, and meant to say that the female lays upto 100 eggs at any one time!! Unfortunately she also likes to eat some whilst she waits for them to hatch!! Usually end up with 30 or so actually hatching before the male eats maybe half of them!!

Hopefully they'll learn??

CHeers
    G!

15. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

I have no idea how old any of them are I did not even see the eggs... how ever saying that the eggs sacks were off white the other Fry are around 5cm now, and one I saw this morning some were 2-3cm and then I see there are still some Wrigglers so this could even be the 3rd hatch!!!

Till what size/age does the male or female chomp them?

16. Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Sorry man, I just want to be clear.... Are you saying 5cm or 5mm?? If they are 5cm, then they are already probably upto 3 months old if not older?? If they are 5mm, then they are more likely 2-4 weeks old, in which case, these other eggs are probably your third batch!!

If they are 5cm, then who knows how many batches they may have been through??

Not all dwarfs eat their young, infact they are known for their excellent parenthood, but sometimes they have to 'relearn' their parenting skills, and quite often this is the case when they are young parents!! It can take a number of times before they realise this is their children!!

Even when they get bigger, the female will attack them if she thinks they are a threat to her youngest babies!!

Hope that helps?
    Regards
    G!

17. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

LOL sorry they are 5mm...

18. oscar freak

oscar freak

YAY im so happy

19. OP
    Lizid

Lizid

Ok guys advice time again... Firstly I have one guppy fry swimming around, I know this sounds odd but I have never been able to successfuly breed guppies so I am stoked about this... ;-)

I am now very sure that I have a second batch of fry from my dwarfs another 20 as I can see! Yes 20 more that's a total of 35 to my count!

But now I can't find the first batch? Have the died/been eaten/ or am I just not seeing them? I found one this morning just kinda swimming around on his own.

Do I need to remove the male or my guppies or my new single rummy nose?I doubt speedy (the snail) ate 5mm fry.

My gravel Is a fine black gravel should I get some white of lay over the top? So I can see better!

And the other question I have is how can I clean the gravel I don't want to suck up the fry while cleaning!

Ahmed I really need that new lighting my plants are taking strain...

P.S. Go Bulle' (Bull's) lol

20. oscar freak

oscar freak

i'll forgive the bulle comment this time lol cause we down like that ha ha.i wouldnt advise a water change with small fry right now.dont stress just be patient i'm sure they around

21. Nirv

Nirv Trachelyopterus

I'd say water changes are a good idea, but just don't vacuum the gravel this time. Have you got lots of fine-leaved plants around? I had very high fry survival rates when I was breeding guppies in a tank with cabomba at the top and java moss at the bottom.

Recent Posts