Huge snail infestation

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by luan3thebuffinator, Jan 5, 2019.

1. luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

Hi there,

I have a 360l planted community tank. A few months ago I bought some plants and I checked them for snails and threw those out that I found. But there must’ve been some eggs on there that I missed because in the last two days I picked out about 120 little snails and theres still a ton on my tank.

I was wondering if someone has an idea for me about what I can do to get rid of them. I have a few nerite snails in there and I can move them out if need be, I dont want to use chemicals or something to kill them but if theres no other option I guess I can do that. Someone told me to consider getting a fish to eat them or an assassin snail, is this a good option? If so what fish do you think will work best. The tank is very under stocked so I dont mind adding a few fish if I have to.

I will attach a picture of one of these snails for anyone that is interested, the biggest ones are about 5mm.

7D615214-6FB9-4C23-9642-C6A17836AC52.jpeg

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Are you overfeeding ... snail population can explode when your fish to do clean-up.

- Snail traps will work - or filter wool that has fish food in it over night should make it easy to pull them out.

Later Ferdie

4. OP
    luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

I dont think I’m overfeeding, but I will scale down a bit just to be sure. Do I just put a bit of filter wool with food in the tank? Because I will definitely give that a shot.

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Traps are probably the safest, but will need many, many nights of repeated use to get them all out.

Snail eaters can be tricky. Anything that enjoys eating snails might take a chance on your nerites. There are also potential issues of compatibility with your other fishes... and it's not really fair on the small eating fish to buy him for the sole purpose of tidying up.

Even if you do somehow get a large majority of them out, some pest snail species can still reproduce asexually. So you'd need to get the very last one out, and hope that it hasn't laid eggs already.

My advice? A combination of manually picking out snails, snail trap, and reducing any excess food as @f-fish suggested. The first two deal with the adults primarily, while the latter works best for juveniles. I've found that young snails particularly suffer to push through periods of hunger, whereas adults can hold on for some time.

Cheers,

JoJo the Hammer likes this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I have never tried as its never been needed but I have read that putting a lettuce or cabbage leaf in the tank overnight also attracts them and you take the leaf out in the morning

7. Pezulu

Pezulu

That looks like a Ramshorn snail problem you have.

I would suggest getting some Assassin Snails.
    They will soon put a dent in the snail population, and in a few months there won't be any pest snails left.

Just move the Nerites out, before the Assassins have a very expensive snack.

Contact me if you need any.

8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

or as suggested ... unexpected result of feeding the BN's (think I have more snails in the tank than what I suspected)

[​IMG]

Later Ferdie

10. Riaan1984

Riaan1984

Can i plss collect some snails from you i have about 50+ assasins that would love them

11. Figeth

Figeth

Assassin snails are awesome, or get a dwarf pea puffer colony! Adorable and if they breed, supply pet shops to take some strain off wild colonies

12. Halfway2

Halfway2

Get a few clown loaches

13. Hein@1979

Hein@1979

Yip, thats ramshornes, the more they eat, the more they breed, i had the same problem, luckily in a 60l, and they are hermaphroditic which means a single snail can breed on its own, no need for males and females

14. WernerP

WernerP

Everything likes to eat ramshorns. Assassin snails will go through them in two months. 5 assassins cleaned my brother-in-law's tank in less than a month.

My 4 foot has Malaysian trumpets. They are difficult because they burrow into the substrate.

15. Riaan1984

Riaan1984

I would take a few of the snails to help get rid of the problem

16. Saibot

Saibot

Guys, this thread is a year old..

Recent Posts