Huge algae (blackbeard) I think.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Quue, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Quue

Quue

Hey all

I hope someone can help, I've had a huge algae bloom in my tank, it seems to be Blackbeard but had a very "minty" smell to it.

any idea how to completely eradicate it? I have tried to do lighting changes and water chems but nothing seems to be working :(

Please any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day Moderator

Pics please

4. OP
    Quue

Quue

5. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Flourish excel / Scape liquid carbon will kill it and is safe for the inmates as long as you stick to the dosing instructions. You will need a syringe and a airline tube to spot dose. this only treats the symptoms though not the cause.

A new day likes this.
  6. A new day

A new day Moderator

Sho it’s a nasty one. This is probably what I’d do:

1. remove wood and rocks and soak them in an unscented Jik solution for an hour or so, or use hydrogen peroxide. Scrub clean with a new (unused) toothbrush, then soak in dechlorinated water before returning to the tank. Keep in mind that you’ll lose beneficial bacteria on the hardscape so you might want to use Stability for a week.

2. Meanwhile, trim off the old and worst affected leaves, and ditch the plant front left (crypt?) it’s far gone. Then use airline tubing of about 1cm thick to carefully syphon up any algae from plants, substrate etc. You might need to do this with each water change. The toothbrush can also be used to loosen gunk before syphoning up. Make this a regular part of tank maintenance, and keep on top of water changes especially if the tank is on the densely stocked side.

3. Add a lot of healthy fast growing plants eg stems and floating plants to outcompete algae. Seachem Flourish Advance liquid fertilizer works great to encourage new growth (trace elements and phytohormones).

Edit 4. As @TheGrissom said Flourish Excel as spot treatment going forward. But I think you need a bigger intervention right now

7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Why must it be new? I find my wife's toothbrush works well just so long as I put it back before she realizes its missing.

Have I made this joke before? I am having deja vu

A new day likes this.
  8. A new day

A new day Moderator

:lol::thumbup:

9. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

It may be easier to catch the fish out and then nuke the tank with hydrogen peroxide. Again treats the symptoms not the cause

A new day likes this.
  10. OP
    Quue

Quue

Thanks all, I might nuke the tank as it does seem to be the best option, I will also scrub down the hardscape to make sure all traces are gone, I feel bad as the moss I've put in the will need to be thrown out as it's just been overrun

11. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Dont throw it out. Give it a citric acid bath. If I recall its 2 teaspoons citric acid to 3 cups of water. let it soak for 10 minutes and then rinse it in freshwater. I treat my weeping moss like this when required

A new day likes this.
  12. A new day

A new day Moderator

@Quue i see you’re in Cape Town, i can give you some plants if you’d like. Rondebosch

AQP likes this.
  13. OP
    Quue

Quue

@A new day Thank you so much I might take you up on that offer later down the line, we are moving at the end of the month and I think once I'm in and got the tanks settled :)

Thank you so much all for all your help

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts