Howzit guys

Discussion in 'New members' started by Lowflyer, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys

I'm registered on the Marine brother or sister of this site, MASA, and saw that this site also existed, so i thought i would join. I currently have a marine setup, but used to keep tropicals.:bigsmile:

2. Guest

3. Singularity

Singularity

hey lowflyer welcome to the forum !

4. solex69

solex69

Welcome Lowflyer :)

Hopefully we'll get you back into the Tropical setups soon ;)

Cheers
    Dale

5. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm considering going back to freshwater soon because of the costs of salt water, but maybe I'll keep going and just get a freshwater system to add to it instead :)

6. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys, how difficult is it to setup and maintain an Amazon aquarium? And what plants and fish would be best for it. If I do go freshwater keep in mind I have a 3 foot tank that holds 115 litres of water. And what kind of filtration would be well suited to this type of setup?

7. Risen

Risen

I would think it is quite easy to set up. Most FW tanks seem to gravitate toward the Amazon species of plants and fish. tetras, discus, angels. The choice is yours. Maybe you should start out with a tank that is easier to maintain / look after, and not to expensive should it crash and burn

8. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Ok cool, well, nothing can cost more than Marine aquaria, so the cost shouldn't be a problem. I've had fresh water before and did the international community tank thing and if I go fresh water I want something little more challenging. But not too challening, so maybe an amazon tank with angels, cardinals, a pleco and some corydoris. I think I will stick with salt water for now, but I'll carry on asking questions and learning from you guys so that when I do get a freshwater setup that I'll have the knowledge I need.

I tried going salt water with my freshwater ways, big mistake. Haha

If I don't go amazon route I would like an east asia setup with some pearl gourami's, rosy barbs and kuhli loaches etc

9. AngelK

AngelK

hey hey and welcome :marchmellow:

10. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys, pulled my saltwater tank down a little while ago, and now looks like I'm going amazon. So here's a few questions. What substrate? What kind of sump design can I have for best filtration? What lights? Can I keep 2 discus, 2 angels, 10 neons, 6 rummy nose tetras, 4 panda cats and a bristle nose catfish in the tank?

The tank is 120 litres, but with the sump, the water volume will increase.

Will peat and bog wood be good enough for keeping the ph and dh down?

Luke

11. snakes

snakes Super User

Welcome :)

12. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

before you go messing with your water 1st test it and see... also leave water in a bucket with an airstone for 24hour and then retest.... post both set of results.

13. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Thanks Henk, tank isn't up though. Want to design a sump and everything first before starting it up. But will definitly do that when it is up.

14. Slummies

Slummies

plant substrate:

1part vermiculite, 1 part potting soil. make sure it has no extra added hormones. wet slightly in a bucket and paste on the floor of ur tank. then pack silica sand over it! 2w per L of water for lighting! going to be getting 10 cockatoos in soon. let me know if you want any

15. OP
    Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys, got the glass for my sump cut and all, and gonna start building on monday. I wanted to ask if someone more experienced than me can give me a list of plants from the amazon and if they are fast growing or slow growing. I'm looking for a well vegetated background and slow growing shrubbish plants in front. Hope this isn't too much to ask guys. Hope you all had a good Christmas. Luke

Recent Posts