How to deal with problem fish

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by BoelderBeestie, Dec 31, 2018.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Oldtimer

We started off on the wrong foot and I reacted on emotion and I apologize for that. I decided to make this short write up for you or anyone else that might have this problem in the future and how to deal with the trouble makers.

When you have been swindled by a petshop into buying a fish that will create problems for you, you don't always have the time to react to it immediately to stop the aggression or killing. So here's what you do in the meantime. When you're at builders or a nursery again buy a piece of plastic grating and put it somewhere in the garage for when you might need it.

You get these in different sizes to accommodate for the fish size you want to separate or out of harms way.
    20181231_160436.jpg
    You then cut it to the size you need to make a circular tube to cage the troublemaker. You can use cable ties or fishing line to tie it together like so.
    20181231_160853.jpg

You all you do is place this over the problem fish to keep him away from the others till arrangements can be made to take him back to the petshop or find him a new home, we are busy sometimes I know. It's temporary so doesn't have to look nice but a wonderful tool to have.

Regards,
    Boeldertjie

2. Guest

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Thanks @BoelderBeestie for starting this thread.

Impuls buys almost always end in disaster. Never trust a pet shop assistant, no matter how good the shop is. Always do your research about a fish. If you use google check a few sights and basicly get an average from what you have read. If you are still not 100% sure, ask if they will keep the fish for you, even if you have to pay for them. If this can't be done, get the fish, and quarantine them while you do your research. This way it is much easier to catch and return the fish, if they will not work, as well as the right thing to do before adding new fish to your display tank.

If you need to kill the fish cause your so pissed off, with not doing research or quarantining, rather go the following direction than the quick fix flush. Btw it is not the fish that made the mistake, you selected him/her and they didn't follow you home like a stray dog/cat. Not everybody have Clove oil in their houses so I will not explain that method here. You will have plastic bags though. Catch problem fish. Put in bag. Put bag in freezer. After a few hours remove bag from freezer and dispose of dead fish with trash. Do not flush dead fish!!!!

There is never a good enough reason for anybody to flush any fish, snails or plants down the drain. Even the ones that died in your tanks. Any parasite or fungus on them goes with them. Our water ways are so screwed up already they don't need more.

Lastly a friend suggested the following method, works perfect for the impulse buyer. Take 1 cup tap water and half a bottle bleach, unscented. Mix together in a bucket. Say goodbye to the fish and then drink the contents of the bucket as fast as possible.

DoubleDutch likes this.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Boelderbeestie,

Firstly, apology accepted, I should have defined "dispose of" in better detail.

I have learnt a very expensive lesson in aquarium keeping in the last couple of months and even though some highly experienced guys gave good solid advice I still did the impulse buy thing. And got burnt again.

Unfortunately I love buying things, man toys like cars, fish, yesterday bought each of my daughters a kitten and I have three dogs, two labradors and a very old Foxterrier

I will heed good advice and I have met in person and on the forum highly experienced people and have now decided to actually use the advice given.

I will gladly share a cold one with you if ever we meet.

MariaS likes this.
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Pierre, please, I think this has been resolved amicably. Suggesting I drink the remains of a dead fish may be in your taste, not mine. As a matter of fact, do you know whether I disposed of the fish by killong them, or giving them to someone else.

I cannot decide if your post is meant to be serious, smug, entertaining or educational.

Be tat as it may, assumptions are the mother of all buggerups.

6. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Great stuff @Oldtimer . So when are you getting into discus;)

MariaS likes this.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Noooooo, I now want a peaceful tank with smaller species. I have two Rainbows, two Rosy reds, two plecos, two bottom feeders, one dwarf gourami, one albino shark, three Columbians 11 Neon Tetras of the 30 I had and two red fluorescents of the 10 I had.

I also have a black and a platinum Angel.

I will now restock my neon tetras and my fluorescents in green and yellow and maybe a couple of rsinbows as well. Then that will be it for now.

No more weird unknown species for me.

8. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I'm also a neon fan. Very pretty fish. Let me show you there tank. Give me a sec.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

To be honest I think Pierré didn't mean to drink remains of a dead fish but a way for the fish to get rid of the impulsebuyer himself (and leave the fish alive).

Meaning : Getting rid, kill, flush, etc. of fish (or any animal) that is unwanted, unneeded, bought wrongly, etc..... is in fact "the other way around".

It weren't the fish that did the impulse buy, choose, got wrong information, didn't get any info at all, didn't research etc etc.
    The situation is created by humans not the fish. So those should get the "punishment" is what Pierré is trying to tell in a quite funny way to me. Of course it isn't an "advise" that should be followed but showing things in the more right perspective.

And showing how much he lives fish !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

10. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Guys, it's Pierre, he was joking:tt2::lol:

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

loves fish

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

12. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Oldtimer

The reflection is a bit bad this time of day but you get the idea. Little 90L.
    20190101_144642.jpg

13. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@BoelderBeestie and @Oldtimer ... Glad the misunderstanding has been cleared..

Happy New Year Guys and new bigginings!!

We need to decide now where you getting together for that cold beer!!

14. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

@Oldtimer my remark was not directed at you in my post. It was a generalised comment regarding disposing of unwanted fish. It was a an add on to what @BoelderBeestie posted, in case you don't have anything lying around like he suggested.

The last paragraph was tongue in the cheek and sarcastic.

Please don't take it personal. As @DoubleDutch mentioned I'm very passionat about the hobby and leave crappy remarks.

Good luck with the new batch of fish

MariaS and DoubleDutch like this.
  15. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

The best crappy remarks:lol:

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.

Recent Posts