How to and why?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Stalker, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Charles

Charles

Hi all

@Stalker, I have a FujiFilm HS 10. Does anybody know this camera? One major flaw with this camera is the focus speed. It takes in certain cases a long time to focus, irritates the living daylights out of me, just when my fish pose for that perfect shot, the camera is slow to focus and when it eventually does... the fish moves... Aaaggghhh!!!! I paid R5000.00 for this camera brand new at Game. Or am I just using it wrong. Some pics I've taken are superb and others are down right....messed up, out of focus, blurry, to much noise, not enough light ect. Some pointers please. I only used the build-in flash. External flash is another R2000.00 which I need but can't afford right now.

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3372.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSCF4634.jpg

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3372.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSCF4634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

@Maruis SwartPending on how much you can spent on a camera it is not too bad. What I likeabout that Canon Powershot SX150is is that you've got full manual settings.
    The benefit is that you can change the camera according to the environment youare going to photograph in. You are now going to tell your camera what to doand it is not going to think and do whatever he thinks is the best> you aregoing to learn how to use the camera to get the best photo.

4. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

@TomK and@Singularity. Like Singularity says, most photographers that use DSLR camerasuse Nikon or Canon and Pentax. The problem with Pentax is to get Pentaxlenses> i will only shoot with Nikon cameras as there is a few things betterin Nikon than in Canon. The problem is that Canon build other things that isbetter than Canon.
    SLT stands for Single Lens Translucent (SLT) cameras offer live view withfull-time fast phase-detection AF whether in stills or movie shooting. Thistechnology came out with Sony in about October 2010.

The best website to check more about cameras is www.dpreview.com.The best is to ask yourself what you want to do with the camera. Just want toget high quality photos? General use? Macro or whatever you want and what canyou afford to buy. It is not going to help you buy a Nikon D3X or a Canon 1DX.any of these 2 will set you back R90000 plus and you are not even going to knowwhere to start. The Sony looks like a good buy. There is a few settings I don’ttrust as I know they are going to make your photos crap if you don’t know howto use them.

5. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

@Charles TheFujifilm introduces FinePix HS10 is a very good camera and Fuji is buildingsome of the best sensors for about the last 3 years. That camera can take andperform very well in low light. If you setup your camera correctly, you will beable to take amazing photos.

6. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

@Charles TheFujifilm introduces FinePix HS10 is a very good camera and Fuji is buildingsome of the best sensors for about the last 3 years. That camera can take andperform very well in low light. If you setup your camera correctly, you will beable to take amazing photos.

7. Marius Swart

Marius Swart Guppies

Spending round about R2000 for its gonna be only for the fish.. sony wx7 full hd? 16mp? also a nice price, but if you prefer the canon shot i will since i only know what MP is on camera,thanks

Marius

8. TomK

TomK

@Stalker

Here is the thing. I think I can convince my wife to go 50/50 with me. I will have to digg into my hunting fund and skip a year or two. Maybe stop hunting all together and start shooting with a camera. She will have to postpone her dream holiday trip for a while. Then we can scrape R10 000 together. That must cover all equipment.

We will want to take good pictures focus wise from the start and then slowly grow into photography, without having to fork out money again for a good few years. Obviously with our hobby of fish keeping, that will be one of our major subjects, but also the normal point and shoot type of photography, till we learn how to do something else. My wife is very much into bird watching, as well as macro work on small critters.

So, with that said, what would be your advice? The reason I looked at the Sony, is that I can buy it new from one of my suppliers at cost and it seemed a good deal. The fast, continuous focus also grabbed my attention. Unfortunately, that is the only model they stock. So, I am open to all suggestions.

9. Singularity

Singularity

10. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

For the people who havent got a very steady hand to keep a camera still, this trick can help you to keep your camera very still and you can then take sharp photos. This is the same like a mono pot and it is so easy to cary around. You are going to need about 2m of thin strong roap. Make a knot on the one side, big enough that your hand kan go through the hole.

[​IMG]

Stick your thum through the one side and your pinky though as indicated on the next photo. Let the long end of the roap hang over your hand. Now step on the long end and ajust according to the length ypu want the monopod to be. If I can get somebody to take a photo of how to do it, i will post a photo in more detail.
    [​IMG]

11. TomK

TomK

I see these 'Locanto' adds all over the Internet with ridiculous pricing on Canon, stressing that it is not 'Grey' product. The minute someone says it is not Grey, the chances is that it is Grey. Any comments?These adds reeks of 'scam'!

12. Singularity

Singularity

you can always phone canon and find out if the company advertising is a registered retailer.

13. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

I would worry more about the ridiculous pricing than the grey. Steer clear of that:

Cheap cameras

14. TomK

TomK

@Jenn
    Yes I know, I just had to air my disgruntlement. The cheek to think someone will fall for that and yet, there is people that will fall for it.

15. Marius Swart

Marius Swart Guppies

So now I need to get some advice. I did get a Fujifilm finepic 500exr , working great. But just cant capture the guppies. I have a 20 7500k bulb in, heard more light works, advice please, camera cant be that bad

16. Relborg

Relborg

also gonna jump on this bandwagon ......

i have a "Canon PowerShot SX30 IS" - for the amateur i am its worked great until i try take pics of my tanks any idea how i can get more "focused" images ive tried so many settings and am confusing myself more than anything else ...

I seem unable to get the fish in focus properly

...... hence no thread yet :sad2:

17. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

I don't know that camera, but pending on what settings you can change, aperture, shutter and ISO. Iso is the last thing you want to change as this can create noise(white and grey spots all over) on the photo. Even on small point and shoot cameras with the most basic functions you can get the photo correct by changing the correct settings.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  18. OP
    Stalker

Stalker

The most common mistake that is creating problems is the focus point settings on most cameras. Remember to change the focus point to centre focus. This will prevent the camera to try and get everything in focus. With centre point focus (might been called something else on your camera) the focus will only focus on the centre off the camera and try to balance the light meter accordingly. On small cameras they normally got a menu with landscape, macro, portrait, baby, sky, night time and things like that. The correct option will set the camera to centre focus to take an amazing photo.

If the color of the fish is wrong, check the white balance on your camera. White balance on smaller cameras and top cameras can normally be adjusted by changing the settings to daylight, flurecent, shadow, night, flash and fings like that.

19. Marius Swart

Marius Swart Guppies

DSCF5143.jpg this is the best shot I get, bit better now if I change it to close up, tried all the settings, saw the camera try to focus more on the background than on the fish

DSCF5143.jpg

20. DerikPelser

DerikPelser

Hello guys.
    Ive been a semi pro phog for 2 years now will my full time pro boet.

First question to @MaruisSwart - Do your camera have multipule focus points and can you manually change them. So are you able to change it from auto to manual focus points?

21. DerikPelser

DerikPelser

@Stalker, you beat me to it.
    @Maruis - Try setting you camera to ISO 200 (will get some noise) lower is you can. Aperture to around 7, the lowest it can go, set to center focus. You then should be able to get a shutter speed of about 125. This should be fine. Try keeping the flash off. This should also give you great depth of field.
    The lower the aperture goes the slower your shutter speeds becomes and your pics become blurred.

You can also set your iso up to get the shutter speed down, But the higher is goes the more noise you get.

In Camera terms a hi aperture is 6 and low is 22. Wrong way around.

Recent Posts