How do you manage your growing photo archive

Discussion in 'Photography' started by f-fish, Nov 25, 2012.

1. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

How do you manage your growing photo archive? Seems like a simple question, but finding a good image organizer is not simple matter.

I had to make the switch back to windows recently (spent most my IT life in Linux since the late 90's) and found that getting my photo archive into something that was manageable on windows was an issue. I have moved some of my 2011 and 2012 pics across, 5600 images in 200 distinct folders.

Some of the tools from Linux are available on windows - like gimp as an editor, but the management and importing was a different story. I happened upon Zoner Photo Studio (now in release version 15) it has a free and commercial model. Currently I am using the free version. I am loving it. Import, manage , view and edit all in one application.

Maybe you have something else that you use?

Later Ferdie

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Guest

3. Anine

Anine

it will be money well spent to invest in Adobe's Lightroom. I use it exclusively for photo post-production editing, managing my workflow and organising my photos.

otherwise picasa isnt bad for freeware

4. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

@Anine Thanks for the input .. I have only heard good things about lightroom- will investigate it a bit more might still be an option. I agree on Picasa, even had it working under Linux via wine. The odd thing was that it did not handle the "migration", I assumed it was volume that was the problem hence the search for something new.

Later Ferdie

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. DewaldC

DewaldC Magikarp

I use adobe bridgen because it enables you to see Raw pictures before you convert them to jpg.:cool:

6. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

7. eros111

eros111

Dropbox is also great to have esp if you need to send large videos and high res pics - I use it mostly

8. Noodle

Noodle

Mmmm... What's wrong with good ol' Picasa? Not much by way of editing, but for viewing, sorting, and archiving, it works fine, and seems to be able to handle however many photos you throw at it. Best of all, it's free.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

True Noodle - Picasa is great, used it for a long while - had one some issues with it when I went over 3500 photo (memory consumption etc) ZPS is also free - and the nice thing , ZPS has some basic editing like adding text.

10. fhmarais

fhmarais

Sorry for brining this back up again...
    Used Picasa for a long time. Used Lightroom since version 2. Even when I shot weddings Lightroom came out tops. Not really for cataloging alone, but also a stunning editor as well. Used its batch process a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

@fhmarais: You guys should join the 21st century ;) lol! Xnview is the best freeware software editing tool out there, it gets update regularly does not much space and isn't really processor intensive. You can download it here: XnView Software · Software for reading, organizing and processing images

For online photo management I started using Pintrest, easy uploading makes sharing images easy and you can add lengthy descriptions too your photos like mine: here

12. fhmarais

fhmarais

Sweet will check it out. Processing power is the least of my problems. Got a donated i7 PC with 16GB of RAM and running on a 256GB SSD drive.

Online storage is great, but to upload the 260GB archive of studio shots and wedding photos just isn't an option. Cleared a lot of photo's up in the past few weeks. Storage are very expensive at the moment so lets hope I will not have to fall back to past shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

@fhmarais: 16GB of memory does not really help since, Windows 7,8's memory reading limit is 4GB so anything above that it disregards. But with Server Enterprise you can easily go up to 1TB.

14. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

So the latest version if causing crashes on 8.1 and what ever patches I have installed. Since I have an Olympus (yes a 2010 model) I downloaded Olympus Viewer 3..

Seems ok ... if I need to do serious edit I will default back to GIMP.

Later Ferdie

15. MattLamm

MattLamm

That 4gb memory limit only applies to 32bit windows. If you running 64 bit then the full 16gb can be used, depending on the OS version you're running.
    Max memory limits for 64-bit Windows 7 | ZDNet

16. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

Problem is it is rather useless if application arent written to use the upper amount of memory. So if it was written to only use a limited or set amount of memory then having 16gb is rather useless. Kind of having a 64bit OS but still using 32bit aplications.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  17. MattLamm

MattLamm

Yes I understand how Windows manages its memory but it's not relevant to this thread. Where did he say he was using 32bit? You made that assumption and I don't know what for. I would say it's a fair bet that a PC with those specs will be running 64bit and I'm sure any of the above mentioned applications will have 64bit implementations.

Getting back on topic, I was actually recently looking into this same problem (managing an image library). I haven't had much time to play around with many applications, but I was told that LightRoom is awesome. It's a bit too pricey for me though. I was also told to take a look at LightZone, which is an opensource project and can be downloaded for free here. LightZone | Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux. Other than that, as others have mentioned, I hear Picasa is pretty cool too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  18. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

It is pretty relevant depending on what applications he will be running because if there is a memory limitation + using a 32bit application in a 64bit operating system it will create a bottle neck. But anyway :)

19. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

My solution to photo storage is a little more "traditional" than all these on-line hosting sites.

Buy a batch of RW-DVD.
    Backup photo folder
    Burn the backup to Disc 1
    Burn the same backup to Disc 2

Store Disc 1 at home
    Store Disc 2 at office.

Thus I always have a copy safe somewhere, and if someone wants to view... pull out Ipad or phone and pull pic from Dropbox.

Granted I am not a photographer, so my images are not 40Meg per pic.....

20. MattLamm

MattLamm

Dude, the reason it is not relevant to this thread is because all of the suggested applications are quite popular and still receive regular updates so I am therefore 99% sure they will all have 64bit implementations. If they don't then they are probably not that good. On top of that, why would anyone writing a photo editing/management application go and purposely put in memory limitations? Out of all of the suggested apps can you point out any that are going to have the problems you are talking about above?

Yes, the points you make above are technically valid (sort of), but highly unlikely so I struggle to understand why you needed to make your original comment which was horribly wrong for the most part: "16GB of memory does not really help since, Windows 7,8's memory reading limit is 4GB so anything above that it disregards". Seriously, who is going to build a PC with those specs and then install a 32bit OS on it? And if you do happen to need to run a 32bit app on a 64bit OS the app can still by default get access to 2GB RAM if it needs it (and 3GB if they do some special configurations when compiling it) assuming it hasn't been explicitly coded to have a memory limitation, which would just be a stupid thing to do in this day and age. The OS is then still free to use the rest of the 16GB of RAM as it sees fit so the PC is not going to get bottle necked.

21. F1refly

F1refly

Any chance someone can upload their archives to the web for download? By photo archive I would assume you mean pictures taken off the web of specific species or is it actually your personal photos? If the latter then never mind me

Recent Posts