How cute is this..... there are some buns in the oven!!

Discussion in 'Oddball fish' started by MariaS, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Excellent work. You need more, many more haha.

MariaS likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Well done Maria.Im possibly getting a 800l soon,how about adding me to the waiting list;)

MariaS likes this.
  4. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

They look so good. Well done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MariaS likes this.
  5. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thank you..
    This is the second litter we have
    The first litter was 2 pups about a year and half ago but we sadly lost Rose to an insane accident just after that which was heartbreaking
    She stabbed herself with her own barb and passed almost instantly
    They are immune to their own poison but for some freak reason she dropped her barb during the day and it must have fallen at a funny angle in the tank
    She swam over it and stabbed herself in the belly so it hit her vital organs causing almost instant death
    We still miss her very much.. she was Ceaser's first ray, in fact her and Ray were to the best of my knowledge the first two that came into the Country

6. Innocent159

Innocent159

Joh sad story i would probably give up after such tragic incident.
    Only recently started keeping corries after 3 years... When i started my albino cories lost their eyes. I never wanted to keep cories again

MariaS likes this.
  7. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Congrats Maria!!

MariaS likes this.
  8. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Reedfish

We believe Mom is pregnant again... didnt realize it would happen so fast and didnt take 3 or 4 days, Cesar's King Leopoldi got hold of her
    So.. another lesson learnt... separate Mom from the boys after birth or she wont have a break

thanks @TrevorR

9. Innocent159

Innocent159

@MariaS how many big tanks don't you have?

10. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Nico Hamman ..

Thanks @BoelderBeestie ...
    Yes.... the Big dream now is pups from Plokadot and Ceasar's King Leopoldi...
    She is hitting the two year mark now and he is ready so we will put them together one of these days... that will be the ultinate for me.. so .. keeping fingers crossed on that

Thanks @Hendre

11. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Christiaan Duvenage

That's a nice size tank
    With right filtration you could keep a pair with no problem

Thanks @pierreschoonraad

@Innocent159 ,

Altogether we have 3 tanks plus the grow out
    Cesar and I stay on same property and we do this as a team

Two of the tanks are with @Cesar .. one with me as well as the grow out tank
    He keeps the big boys in one tank and the big girls with the two Leo boys (one has just bred for the first time) so will have to move in with the boys and a youngster
    I keep Polkadot, a Leo female and a Thousand Island hybrid in my tank and the two BD babies are still in the grow out
    So we move them around as we need to

12. Christiaan Duvenage

Probably going to hook up my FX5

13. Innocent159

Innocent159

Like i told on of our fellow hobbyist... The people in this hobby is probably the most generous and friendliest people i ever met.

MariaS and Christiaan Duvenage like this.
  14. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

You will be ok with the FX5 for quite a while, long term you could always add a sump if it became necessary

15. Christiaan Duvenage

Do you think it will be necessary?

16. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Christiaan Duvenage ... To be honest Im not 100% sure as I have never had a FX5 although I do believe they awesome filters

I think once the rays get to about two years old, if you have a number of tankmates with them, there is a chance that you might need to

If memory serves me right, @Reedfish runs his tank with the two rays and tankmates with either a FX5 OR FX6....
    @Reedfish ?... He can comment better on this

We were running Dophin 2400 canisters but eventually changed every tank to sumps for various reasons
    Adult rays produce a lot of bioload and their poops is fairly big, the fact that you feeding fish, mussel, shrimp etc.. also adds to the bioload and the batting on the canisters clogs up very quickly and needs to be rinsed or replaced often
    For me, this was a nightmare and Cesar always had to do my canisters and his because i just could not move them due to their weight

The sump and the two internal filters that i built into my tank when i upgraded have been a blessing
    I can clean my own without having to rely on him all the time
    I put in 4 or 5 layers every Sunday and if necessary during the week I just remove the top layer in two seconds with no problem
    We usually buy batting from the material shop per meter
    The rolls are 2.5m wide, 5m costs about R150.00 and lasts me for my tank only about 3 months. I dont bother washing it out, i just throw it away

The sump obviously adds to your water volume, takes a lot more media and thus your safety margins on water quality are much higher
    All being said, it all depends on various circumstances... number of fish etc...

top dog and Christiaan Duvenage like this.
  17. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

In prinsipal I fully agree with you regarding a sump @MariaS. If you are not going hightech and depend on co2 for plants, sump is the way to go. The increase in water volume helps a huge amount in keeping parameters stable. Huge space for media. Nothing is visible in tank. Win win defnitly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18. Christiaan Duvenage

@MariaS I've always used sumps on my ex tanks and have always been the 1st person in the queue to promote them,but those where the marine,brackish and bigger fish/tank days.I beleive in overkill on filtration rather than something that comes short or works so so.This Fx5 was my 1st and only cannister so far,it came along since I got involved in the planted schene and i only bought it because i got it for 2.5K.I have to admit it works great,it's truly is a beast of a cannister.Its only hooked up to a 300l so it doesn't work hard so to speak,but yeah it's serious overkill for a 300l.It has its advantages i can allmost go crazy on fish numbers if i wish to and i guess to a certain extent i have.The 800l I'm possibly getting has 2 drilled holes(in and outlet) on the opposite sides on the bottom panel of the tank wich has fittings for a cannister and a funny narrow overflow configuration inside the tank that I've never seen before.So it plugs in at the bottom of the tank where a normal sump overflow drain would be.The current owner has a dophin c1600 as a filter wich I feel is way under standards,but i suppose that depends on the type and amount of fish.It would of been easy just to connect the fx5 but modifications to make it work on a sump won't be a problem and having 2 holes would be great for going with 2 overflows although I will have to get them drilled to 50mm.My initial plan was to go brackish again,I miss those days,but rays are getting my attention pretty fast and I have thought about it many times.Im still in 2 minds thou.Tnx for the great info it confirms my suspicions and to be honest wasn't really aware of the hudge bioload they give off.By the way you talking I can hear it's a big commitment and something you have to be prepared to persevere with.

PS: Do the rays come with a poop scoop?:D

19. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @pierreschoonraad everything you mention is obviously the most important but for me its very important that your hobby is easy to manage and doesnt eventually become a burden

When people have a fear of how hard it is to keep Rays.. its a big misconception
    If your set up is right from the word go, they probably easier and more forgiving to keep than Discus
    They also dont suffer from the common fish diseases

I know it sounds like im side tracking but it goes to the cherry on top of having a decent sump
    Its easy to clean and maintain even for someone like me that is no spring chicken

I can enjoy my tank, clean when i want to without feeling like its a burden and having to ask @Cesar to help all the time
    He always does my water change with me and repairs and changes anything that needs to be done but the regular maintenance i can do myself

So.. there are benefits to the fish and it makes it easier for you when dealing with big fish and in this case the Rays

20. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Christiaan Duvenage .. well... if that tank is drilled and you can run the sumo with the FX5 it would be perfect for rays

Like I said to @pierreschoonraad , if your setup is right they not difficult to keep at all and its no bigger a commitment than other fish if you care for them properly
    The Ray poop .... is not a problem... your secret (poop scoop) is a decent power head placed in the right place... you never see any poop in any of our tanks unless they do it while you watching...

Be it as it may, its a decision you must make on your own.. all i can say to you is once you have a ray...you hooked for life

Hope @top dog doesnt mind me sharing this.... but i had a pm from him a while ago asking me to please help as he is sitting with a situation on his hands..
    Can i please tell him all about the rays and can we answer some questions...
    Apparently his wife had always supported him with the hobby but they went somewhere over the weekend and she sw two baby rays and fell in love and now she wants two rays
    He himself. despite his experience with big fish for many years was scared and in two minds due to the reputation on keeping them
    Anyway.. cut a long story short. after much chatting Cesar said he must rather come look at the rays and the setup and see where he would be in two years time.. so he cold see what he would be letting himself into
    Well...him and his wife came through one Saturday and i though they would sleep over the weekend...

He went home and sorted his setup out and bought two babies, he did start a thread on them...
    Last time i chatted to Mark his words were he wishes he had got them years ago.. he had no idea how rewarding it was to keep them...

Only one other thing... as they grow.. forget about live plants...

21. top dog

top dog

@MariaS congrats again on the little ones, and i can not wait for polkadot to have some babies in fact any of your and Cesar stunning rays, black rays definitely my fancy so waiting patiently for black babies.
    have not posted on here about my rays but all i can do is echo what you have said, the most rewarding and interactive fish i have ever kept. literally changed my entire hobby in one afternoon, and i have had fish tanks my hole life, and actually been actively keeping and choosing my own fish for 24 years. One afternoon and all fears and nerves where gone. Still very much a rookie in rays but want more and plans are in place for new tanks plural lol

Hendre likes this.

Recent Posts