Hole in the Head - Carbon ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JulieMac, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JulieMac

JulieMac

Hi,

I have a really nice Uaru in my tank and he keeps on getting holes in his head. After doing a lot of reading on the internet, a lot of people say that it is the Carbon in your tank that causes it. I removed the carbon and it did seem to help. I do regular water changes. Once it cleared up I put the carbon back in the tank and now again it seems to be happening again. Can anyone give me some advise on this.

I have always used carbon for my filtration units (for years now). What is the feeling about not having carbon in the filters at all ???

Any other suggestions on getting rid of Hole in the head

fish.JPG

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

4. Cale24

Cale24

I only use Purigen, in a couple of my tanks. Dedicated carbon only when I'm removing meds or any potential contaminants. Many people don't replace it often enough, so it reaches absorption capacity and then leeches back into the water column, causing problems.
    Also sucks out fertilizers.
    Hope your Uaru comes right!

eros111 likes this.
  5. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I run all my tanks without any carbon. It is completely unnecessary as long as you keep up good maintenance. I would only recommend it if there is specifically something in the water that you want to remove such as meds.

eros111 and mattie like this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @JulieMac

Welcome to the Forum

Back in the day.. years ago.. I think we all used carbon, it was believed to be a must and we did it

Over the years, research has shown that carbon is not only unnecessary but can also be dangerous as, as has been said, once saturated, it releases all the toxins back into the water
    Replace your carbon with some Seachem Matrix which is an excellent filter media and more beneficial bacteria can grow on it
    A little more info on your setup can help us maybe pinpoint something else but as for the carbon, most dont use carbon anymore unless its to remove medication

7. Toy

Toy

Just remove the carbon and do regular maintenance on your mechanical filtration system.

The problem is that carbon does not distinguish between good and bad micro-elements and removes all, even the ones required for keeping a fish healthy.

I used to run carbon 24/7/365 and experienced the same issue but since I removed it from my systems all the fish are happy and the plants show much better growth.

Carbon is good to get rid of meds or if you have issues with your tanks water.

mattie likes this.
  8. Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Could it be beneficial to introduce carbon periodically for a short amount of time?

9. mattie

mattie

10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

If your filtration is adequate for the tank size and bioload it carries, there is no benefit in using carbon
    Remember carbon when saturated releases all the toxins back into the water

As mentioned above, carbon is only really beneficial to remove traces of meds when you treat a tank

Reedfish likes this.
  11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Adequate filtration and regular water changes - recipe for healthy fish :thumbup:

MariaS likes this.

Recent Posts