Hobby Artemia Brine Shrimp Hatchery...MUST HAVE!!

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jenny, Mar 23, 2012.

1. fiza

fiza

any advice on where to buy bs eggs of frozen bbs? either online or locally here in port elizabeth? and also what do they cost

2. Guest

3. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Fiza pm prof Dirk. You will be hard presses to find a better price anywhere in SA.

4. OP
    Jenny

Jenny PsychoFish

I used to hatch my brine shrimp using this method: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_brineshrimp_hatchery.php
    After I harvested most of the brine shrimp, I would put the mason jar in the windowsill and leave it there for a few weeks. Then I'd check again and find a nice algae growth and numerous grown brine shrimp in there. Nice to watch my dwarf puffers try and catch them hehe.

5. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Murray,

if you rig up raingauges like that you must just install non-return valves in your airlines or else the water will flow back into your airpump if you have a power fail.

I assume Aquazulu that you have installed non-return valves or is your airpump positioned higher than your bs hatchers?

Fiza if you need bseggs send me you private email address by PM and I can send you a pricelist.

Kind regards,

Dirk

6. BBQ

BBQ

whahah I was actually saying that to someone some weeks ago about the flow back into pump.
    and no one ever ever warn people this dangerous part of the hatching process.

7. aquazulu

aquazulu

@Dirk Bellstedt
    Hi Dirk, good to hear from you.
    You think of everything don't you. I just opt for the simple solution of putting the pump on the shelf above the station.

@Zoom
    This is my recipe for decapsulation
    soak a teaspoon of eggs in 30ml of filtered water for an hour (not salt) Aerate heavily while you do this.
    Add 150ml of Jik and leave for 13mins while you aerate heavily.
    rinse the eggs which should be orange now and add back to 300ml of clean filtered water.
    Add 100ml of white vinegar and leave in solution for 13mins while you aerate heavily.
    Rinse and add to 1 litre of salt water. Use a hydrometer as Prof. suggests and you are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Hi Guys,

I am going out this evening and the wife is now saying I must get off the pc, so I will reply to pms tomorrow.

aquazulu, I am going to try your recipe, I have not ever done this with bs eggs but let me see if this works for me!

Kind regards,

Dirk

9. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

Garsfontein,Pretoria.Mostly under my Willow tree o
    My cheap version of a DIY BS hatchery.... remember those Addis lunch boxes we used to get to take to school as kids? the ones with place for sarmies and a plastic bottle filled with Oros? ..... heres what you do:

Paint the "Big" part of the container with black Gloss paint on the outside of it(make sure it is an opaque one - not a coloured plastic one)....and the part of the lid that will cover it.... - drill about 20 holes with a 6mm drill bout half way down the divider between the sarmie and cooldrink part - leave cooldrink part unpainted...

Mix up salt solution and add to container...add eggs to big,dark part.... cover and leave to hatch.... BBS will swim through holes to smaller,clear part (attracted to the light) - from where you can harvest them without the annoying egg shells getting in the way....

10. TomK

TomK

Sounds good. Two questions. 1. Do you aerate? 2. How do you harvest?

11. bradlet

bradlet Bradatious

"Dirk"the popeye thing got me going
    to all the others thanks for making this Forum/Site i have learnt alot
    i will take this moment to say i enjoy this site alot and try aleast once a day to read up on topics posted

12. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Whilst we are on the topic of bseggs, I also wanted to indicate a few other things to you.

There are two places where most brine shrimps eggs come from and those are the Great Salt Lake in Utah, USA and in San Francisco Bay. The San Francisco Bay bseggs are fractionally smaller and the shrimps when they hatch are also slightly smaller, and for this reason also a lot more expensive. For this reason these are also never on offer in SA. However, the availability of eggs from the Great Salt Lake also varies. In spring, the snow melts in the mountains around the Great Salt Lake and dilutes the salt levels of the lake to the 1.020 that we use for hatching the eggs and then the shrimps eggs in the lake hatch. The brine shrimps then eat algae and grow rapidly. When adult the brine shrimp give birth to live young shrimps until the salinity of the lake becomes higher later on in the season because of water evaporation and then they start producing the eggs as we know them. These eggs float to the shore where they are harvested and packaged, and that is how we buy them. This is a million dollar industry by now.

Now every couple of years there are shortages in these eggs brought about by the El Ninjo effect when too much or too little rain falls and then the shrimps don't produce enough egges. Also a causeway has been built into the lake which causes water flow and salinity problems. See http://saltlakebrineshrimp.com/in-the-news/utah-brine-shrimp-feed-asia-industry/ this is a long story but read particularly the few sentences at the end of that page. In 1998 there was a massive egg shortage and prices rocketed as a result.

RIGHT NOW we are again headed for shortages of bseggs. The prices are already going up, as I could see from my last import now. So be warned, get your supply early to avoid shortages and use sparingly.

I will answer all the PMs to me during the coarse of the day.

Kind regards,

Dirk

13. BBQ

BBQ

Dirk
    I have read that Utah provides somewhat 75-100 license a year to harvest and at a cost of $100000+- each and the goverment of Utah take s a 5% royalty (sales)
    which makes them manage these harvest in a controlled inviorment.
    There is also police that monitor these during harvest seasons and like you said, some years are just very bad years.
    But anyways (hope you still gonna mail me ur prices bud)

Thanks

14. BBQ

BBQ

Also with this info that you have provided, people gonna start hiking the price :D

15. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

BBQ, I do not do this. I try to keep my prices as reasonable as possible.Kind regards,Dirk

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  16. fiza

fiza

hi Prof. i PM'd you with my email address for a pricelist of the bs eggs

17. BBQ

BBQ

Dirk

Please dont get me wrong, I was referring to other people that resell these products that use this forthcoming issue to hike.
    + i am sure you prices will be far more greater then most guys, as you dont need to carry overheads as some of them do (or do you?)
    and lastly, I am sure people will be more then happy to buy from you (you got a good reputation) and provide so much help
    to every member. So people will be more then willing to buy stuff that you say are good.
    I mean you know what happened when Van Gurven was mentioned to me by the LFS aye.??
    I can tell you the place but it might be a mistake from my part cos I was just overhearing the converstaion at the fridge section
    when these guys were talking. thats why I picked up the products + the prices was decent
    I also would of brought it with or without that overheading that comment, cos I buy frozen food / live for me fishes :D

18. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

This hatchery work very well for small quantities. I however need BS in larger quantities and don't use it any longer...used only twice.
    So it's up for grabs again at a bargain price of R150 - for collection only!
    pm me!

19. TomK

TomK

What method are you using, Gert?

20. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

I use the bottle method, but agree the "reenmeter" idea is something that I will do soon, as I saw some at Crazystores for like R17 each!
    The shape is better, and less eggs will stick to the neck.

21. TomK

TomK

Yes, the way to go for full time breeders! I am not there yet and will stick to the bottle method in the meantime, as I can use the space in-between fry batches. A man have to have biltong as well, you know! hehe.

Recent Posts