Help with setup of tank and jebo R3100 filter setup

Discussion in 'KZN Fish Club' started by bee123, Jun 30, 2014.

1. bee123

bee123

Hi
    Im new with fish keeping
    I got a 4 foot malawi tank
    Where can I get like rare malawis for cheap and also some rock
    I need help in setup of the filter as the previous owner didnt explain on how to go about
    Where can I get malawis at a good price and rock[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Guest

3. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

Is that your current setup?

If it is then it seems to already be correctly stocked,no need for more (you might be able to swap out a few since it seems there are also some convicts in there)

What type of media does the one on the right contain?

I can't see the one on the left clearly,it looks like a standard pump that can fit 2 attachments.Are there any compartments in the tank?,do they contain any media?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  4. OP
    bee123

bee123

5. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

Can't tell you about any LPS without knowing where you live (forget this,didn't check in which forum it was posted.Hopefully someone from KZN can help you with LPS)

How much experience do you have with fish keeping?.Oh and welcome to the forum,nice setup.

6. OP
    bee123

bee123

On the right of the tank I gt a normal sponge filter 1200lph,
    On the left of the tank is the jebo filter which is nt on,I do not knw how to set that filter up,its like a top filter,wher water is pumped up into a box which I dnt knw wat material to put in and then flows out to tne the right of the tank, btw im from durban

7. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

So the filter on the right only has sponges,no other stuff inside what so ever?

I have a similar tank setup with my Boyu tank (compartment at the top,there was a large piece of foam floss in there so i guess it was a mechanical filter),only difference is that i exchanged my default pump for a canister filter.

If you can figure out which one contains the bio material then the rest should be easy,the default pump that comes with the tank is usually for mechanical filtration though i guess you can also use it for biological filtration with a small change.

8. OP
    bee123

bee123

I got no floss on the top,jus like a tray,

9. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

There should also be a spray bar up there,does the tray hold water or are there holes for water to pass though.

My only worry is the beneficial bacteria,did you cycle the tank after getting it or did the seller give you a seeded media?

10. irfaan

irfaan

howsit

i do have sum nice malawies for sale also have rocks, i will pm u my details where abt durbs are u from???

11. OP
    bee123

bee123

The seller didnt gv me anything, I gt the spray bar,there are holes for water to pass thru

12. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

So is the tank cycled then or not?

The pump on the left connects to the spray bar via a pipe,if you didn't get one then you should be able to get one at builders warehouse (can also find them at petshops but they will probably charge you triple the price).Basically poop and waste gets sucked up to the spray bar which should be above a large piece of filter floss wool (also known as poly filter floss) which traps poop,waste and debris,the wool can basically just be cleaned every couple of days.(it's basically a mechanical filter).It's very inefficient since you will also have to clean the impeller in the pump to prevent it from jamming when it gets too dirty (since the waste passes though the pump before going to the filter material)

I'm not sure if filter on the right can also serve as a biological filter

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  13. HEIHACHI

HEIHACHI

The pump on the left is an intake, it will connect to a spray bar that sit over a compartment, see if you can get a coarse filter mat and cut it to the size of this compartment put the mat down first and the filter wool on top.
    Your fish look great!! Maybe swop or sell some first? Before looking for more?

14. OP
    bee123

bee123

Where can I get a coarse filter mat?,I spoke to some1 who had a smaller jebo tank,he said mus put ceramic rings in the compartment, n use a bating(material that u get from a fa ric shop) material on top,
    Is that fine to use or mus I use other material to male the filter work nicely
    My water goes like brown withen a month.need some idea on how to keep it clean and crystal in an inexpensive way
    I used old and dead coral rock n some rock I purchased from euro petshop in durban.my gravel is fine crushed coral

15. OP
    bee123

bee123

Is there a way of removing all the poop n dirt using the syphon cause I find it being difficult to remove it using a syhpon,when I top tbe water,they jus push up from the bottom

16. HEIHACHI

HEIHACHI

I have tried the rings but I feel the compartment is too small for it. I got my mat from dbn pets. The batting from fabric shops work great. The best way to keep ig clean and crystal? ? Weekly water changes! !!!

17. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

You need to create good flow in your tank that leads to a strong mechanical filter.How often do you do water changes?,i have a fresh piece of driftwood leeching tannins and it still remains near crystal clear (2x 30% water changes a week with aged water)

It's odd that the water is going brown,if it's on the glass then it might just be that the tank is still cycling or there is left over nutrients in the tank.The water itself being brown is usually a sign of a dirty tank :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  18. OP
    bee123

bee123

I removed the driftwood and did 60 percent water change,the water is clear bt still I cn c sum poop moving around

Recent Posts